E36 M42is AFM ISSUE

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

boyburhan

Club Guest
Hi all,I am having headache due to petrol consumption issue. It is said due to incorrect air fuel ratio caused by the AFM. Does anyone know how or who to contact...to service the AFM? Or is it possible to convert M42is's AFM to MAF?Engine vibrates a bit when idling....is also said to be caused by the AFM...Opinions and advice or info are highly appreciated.Thanx

Ask your foremen to do the following
1. Check AFM - push in the inner flap & let go. Any resistance felt might be indicating dirty afm air column - service it.
2. Service your ICV - to prevent irregular idling.
3. Check all the hoses connected to manifold for vacuum leakages.
4. Check engine oil cap for tightness - to prevent irregular idling.
5. injector cleaner - drive till your petrol tank level is around quarter, pour in injector cleaner, drive around 100km/h for at least 10 to 20 km monthly - improve injector spray pattern
6. Buy nissan sylphy - good fuel consumption.

Thanx bro I will do that... was thinking to buy a used AFM, which will or will not solve the issue...
Certainly aint buying a sylphy or anything... wouldnt wanna be tied with financing woes anymore...hehe

bro check all the vacum n pipe hoses....ada lubang besar jarum pun ur idling can be crazy....afm,or maf susah mau rosak bro..

boyburhan;687974 said:
Thanx bro I will do that... was thinking to buy a used AFM, which will or will not solve the issue...
Certainly aint buying a sylphy or anything... wouldnt wanna be tied with financing woes anymore...hehe

U can always test with a working unit to see if it's really the AFM issue..

yat...
if the idling is crazy, petrol consumption will be high ke?
Mine isnt that crazy, but it vibrates at times...not so much though

boyburhan;688257 said:
yat...
if the idling is crazy, petrol consumption will be high ke?
Mine isnt that crazy, but it vibrates at times...not so much though

hi bro, i'm new here also . IMHO from what i have read and told there could be few reasons you affect ur FC.

1) sensors ( 02 and MAF )
2) exhaust system
3) vanos (seals, hoses )
4) others like wheel size, driving style, load on car.

sure got alot more to check, but i myself suffering bit on FC. so addressing all this before others. as for minor idling issue i solved mine resetting the ecu. hope this helps .

from my OBD 13.1L/100km 325i (A) after service 02 sensor and replace original cat converter. before was 14.5L/100kmh

mine comes without OBD but icalcilated manually. FC is 10L/100km in towns and 8L/100km on highways...
so i guess it is ok kot.... since mine is 318is only

idling is good now. I did nothing to the AFM...
what i did was to change the original air filter element to BMC drop in filter. All of a sudden, idling problem solves...

Top Bottom