E36 M40 Afm

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

olygopoly

Club Guest
Hi all,Anyone knows where to get good but cheap AFM ? My car is having idle problem. The RPM keep going up & down. Not that stable.

you can try cleaning the vane. usually that is the cause of the problem
I have DIY before and it have last me 2 years before I need to clean it again.

My AFM story

My engine sputter and died as if not enuf fuel going into engine. at first thought it was fuel pump but no....it was quickly identified as faulty AFM.

Went to Naidu of Jalan Gasing. He has a mech who services cars instead of air-conds.

Was charged all-in RM470 for a used AFM, with a 1-week warranty. Word from a half-cut supplier is that a used AFM is RM250-RM300. A new one, according to stockist Bavarian Auto is RM1,400++.

Nevertheless, it was on the high side for a simple used T-shaped plastic item.

Having read earlier abt just degreasing the AFM, I had already told them to clean the thing first.....but Naidu claimed the one that could be cleaned was an old AFM. He said mine (a 1994 325i) uses a new type of AFM that cannot be cleaned and must be changed.

I gave Naidu and his gang the benefit of the doubt...

I have posted some pix...see if what was told to me makes sense or was somebody fibbing?

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/mediavoce/BMWAirflowMeterAFM

On the plus side, the new AFM has made my car feel more alive, and ready to run for hours on end. Has more punch and doesn't feel sluggish like before. At idle, it settles down to 500rpm. It's amazing what a change of AFM (or cleaning one up) can do for the driving experience.

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/mediavoce/BMWAirflowMeterAFM

p/s: sorry if the pix are too dark to be recognisable. If it can't be determined, I may reshoot a clear version and upload later.

I think the mechanic is correct because that is not an AFM but a MAF (Mass Air Flow) which do not have a air vane.

More on Air mass meter/Airflow meter/

Thanks Jarance for the heads up. So whichever name they are called, they performed the same function, I gather. They are just designed differently.

any idea when BMW started phasing out the vane-type?

Meanwhile, here's more valuable info on this important component.

Part details at

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BG13&mospid=47485&btnr=13_0381&hg=13&fg=15

The price is US$439 (RM1,449), which is around the figure quoted by Bavarian Auto.

About Air Mass Meters
================

The air mass meter is located in the engine compartment usually adjacent to the air filter assembly. If you are going to clean the engine compartment of your car or truck, and it has a air mass meter, be sure to avoid getting water or degreaser on or around the air flow meter.

The air mass meter or sometimes called the air flow meter is used to determine the airflow that is being delivered to your engine.

The air mass meter does this by sending an electronic signal to the cars computer, and thus sends the correct signal to the fuel injectors that regulate the amount of fuel that is delivered to the engine. Be very careful not to touch or get any contaminates on the electrodes on the inside of the air mass meter, as this will cause the air flow meter to fail.

If you are experiencing a hesitation on acceleration or a poor idle, this may be the result of a bad air mass meter.
The best way to determine if you need a new air flow meter is to check the computer diagnostic codes.

If you are experiencing a repeated failure of your air flow meter this may be due to the fact that you have an aftermarket performance air filter that uses an oil based filter element.

This in some cases will damage the mass airflow sensors on newer cars and trucks. Please check with the vehicle manufacturer to see if there is a technical bulletin on this issue as the performance air filter may void your car or trucks warranty.

There are a few major manufacturers of airflow and air mass meters including; Bosch, Genuine, Delco, and Denso.

Top Bottom