E34 520 vs. 525

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
i think torque also need to be take as reference as well.

correct me if im wrong..

e34's are heavy, but that weight translate to highway stability and good sound insulation. 2.5's v12 can be drinkers, mine gets 16l/100km on bad city days but on the highways, it returns 9.6l/100km. Somewhere in the forum i read someone doing 6l/100km but that but be going downhill all the way. 2.5's are the way to go and better if its the 24v.

wow...16l/100km & 9.6l/100km???!!! tats a lot of diff....

i seldom drive on highway,maybe once every 3 months.normally hanging around kepong,jinjang,bandar sri damansara & selayang.

so it's not adviseable to get an E34 rite?

bro i am also contemplating abt the FC ler....coz those I met with the cars for sale all seldom drive them....but then thats the fact with the beemers at least the 5 series due mainly to the weight.....but again if you like the car then i guess you have to accept its FC....

if u dont need the space i think the 3 series is nice

actually the fc is not a big issue,im affraid maintenance will bring me alot of headache since its ald more than 15 yrs old.

maintenance is relative, normal wear and tear stuff, like bushes and belts cost abt the same as other conti but are pricier then jap. Water pump can be changed when u do your timing belt change and radiator you can get your mech to test it under pressure regurlarly ( i think its 20-30bar). Its still cuts a classy shape even after 15yrs and if you put your foot down, it will get there quick. Driving dynamics, if i want something more fun i'll drive an e30. e34 is more a highway cruiser.

Hi Guys,

Being the one who initiated this thread, I would just like to add my personal experience. I firstly decided on the E34 instead of the E36 as the boot on the E36 is too small for a family. After that, I was contemplating whether to get a 525 or a 520. After searching around the forums I was convinced that a 24v would be a better buy because:

- it is slightly newer and should have less maintenance issues.
- it is more fuel efficient if compared with the 12v.
- 24v 520 is nearly as powerful as the 12v 525.
- the 12v has a timing belt where the 24v is chain driven and does not require any replacement.
- 24v has hydraulic tappets which do not need to be adjusted. 12v requires constant attention or starts to sound like a proton going uphill.
- I have owned a E30 320 with the same 12v engine and was not impressed with the power. I can't imagine how the same engine can even move the E34 with all that additional weight.

After all that, I decided to get a 520 24v instead of a 525 24v as I was not interested in power and didn't want to pay the extra for the road tax. (Even if the 525 is slightly more fuel efficient it would not offset the extra $$$ you have to pay for the road tax AND insurance.)

So I went ahead and bought a 1993 520 24v (A). As it was a 14 year old car, I was already prepared to spend some extra $$$ to fix whatever that needed fixing. So far I have spent around $3.5k. As part of regular servicing I have changed engine oil to fully synthetic, oil filter, air filter, Redline rear diff oil, ATF, BMW coolant and numerous bulbs. Also replaced wipers, faulty air flow meter, all hoses, blocked off the heater, changed leaking radiator with a new radiator (they tend to leak around the air bleed screw), broken fuel flap hinge, rubber exhaust bracket, repaired wiring for faulty fog light switch (quite prone to fail in BMW's), and rear boot lid lights as they were leaking into the boot.

Auto gearbox is a bit suspect but I've just changed the ATF (no, the auto didn't die after that. In fact, shifts seem smoother and more power) so will see if anything else develops. Already getting the $$$ ready in case need to replace auto gearbox just in case. No issue with engine after changing AFM. Now smooth all the time. Before that idle sometimes a bit erratic.

Have also spent hundreds on Meguiar's car detailing products after being racun by this forum and the kevster. :) My car came with a new coat of white paint and looks great so got motivation to keep it that way. The interior is also great as the previous owner had covered it with tan leather so no complaints there. Interior also very comfortable and spacious. Even has rear air con vents! :) Car also came with 16" sport rims which look good enough for me so no need to change also.

As for driving impressions, if you are a speed junkie and feel the need for speed then you would be better off with a 525. The 520 accelerates errrr... gradually. BUT when you get to highway speed its great. Acceleration at that speed is decent and high speed cruising is excellent. Ride comfort is also great but I think the suspension bushings will need to be replaced sometime in the future (sigh.... more $$$).

Fuel economy is decent (since my former car was a 2 liter turbo I suppose anything after that is decent ;)). I get around 11.5l/100km on average or around 435km/$100. First time pumping the tank after buying the car cost $145!!!! Nearly fainted. After that, refueling when the warning light is fully lit cost around $135 and I get aprox 585km. I drive a mix of highway and city driving as I commute from USJ to KL daily but don't get caught in too many jams.

All in all, very happy with the car. No regrets and would still buy a 520 if the opportunity came again. If I had the cash I would buy another for the wife.

Just my 2 cents. Hope this helps.

seech u got ur car finally....for us we are still looking....the amt u had to spend on the car....also quite a handful in my opinion but i guess you want to get the car back to tip top condition....

Seech, how much did you get your car for? Hee hee, so you kena racun by kevster... sadly, I still have yet to send my ride for full detailing. Still very much on the mechanical repair / upgrade path. Also thinking of putting in body kit later in the year. Only after then. Guess how much I have spent on my ride? Almost all wear and tear items in the car like suspension and steering, aircon and cooling system, rims, top overhaul, windscreen, lowered springs, etc, etc everything that needed changing was changed - RM15+k:eek: . Others yet to do... fuel sender unit, ICV, rear drive-shafts, hi-fi, alarm system... I think that is about it. Maybe need another RM5k more.:D

Bought from used car at $26.5 about 2 months ago. Probably a bit on the high side but car looked great in white plus leather interior. Should have neg harder but wanted to car so....

I'm just hoping that after doing all the work everything will be ok for the moment. Better spend money now to fix things than have it break one by one. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Will post pics after I polish it up a bit. Now coated with dust from the mechanics shop.

flash;198808 said:
Seech, how much did you get your car for? Hee hee, so you kena racun by kevster... sadly, I still have yet to send my ride for full detailing. Still very much on the mechanical repair / upgrade path. Also thinking of putting in body kit later in the year. Only after then. Guess how much I have spent on my ride? Almost all wear and tear items in the car like suspension and steering, aircon and cooling system, rims, top overhaul, windscreen, lowered springs, etc, etc everything that needed changing was changed - RM15+k:eek: . Others yet to do... fuel sender unit, ICV, rear drive-shafts, hi-fi, alarm system... I think that is about it. Maybe need another RM5k more.:D

giabok.......cabutz!

chairoger;198820 said:
giabok.......cabutz!

Giaboks still shifts smooth... oh, mileage onli 96k+ km (true mileage) and it is ZF giabok,not the GM one.:D Expect to last a few more years. So not an issue. Anyway, if it goes, got spare in hand alreadi.:D :D

flash;198833 said:
Giaboks still shifts smooth... oh, mileage onli 96k+ km (true mileage) and it is ZF giabok,not the GM one.:D Expect to last a few more years. So not an issue. Anyway, if it goes, got spare in hand alreadi.:D :D

Steady bro! Ever prepared. Bravo!

chairoger;198839 said:
Steady bro! Ever prepared. Bravo!

Now if only I got a spare M50B25 engine lying around...:rolleyes:

Still considering whether to stick with my B20 engine or upgrade to B25 engine... hee hee.

flash,

U good lah bro. $15+k. Now make me panic only. I just spent $3.5k so have another $11.5k to go. AHAHAHAHAH

seech;198902 said:
flash,

U good lah bro. $15+k. Now make me panic only. I just spent $3.5k so have another $11.5k to go. AHAHAHAHAH

Ha ha, my total costs included changing the front sub-frame, changed all suspension parts, lowered springs, larger rims, upgraded front brakes, repaired some bent fenders and painting, well, you can say almost done up the whole car with the exception of the engine conversion.:D :D

No worries about my air-con, cooling system, suspension for a some time, I hope.

And yet I am not satisfied... damn. Gotta lower my standards.

Top Bottom