E30 Stock brakes...

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Originally posted by moots@Jan 20 2006, 01:08 PM
My stock e30(front ventilated/rear drum) has the following issues:
1. longer pedal travel than normal(compared to my
e34,saga,satria etc)
2. slightly harder foot pressure to stop the car

other than that it's ok.can stop during emergency brakes and have enough bite.i'll probably tweak the rear brake to closer tolerance this weekend
well well i tweaked it.though the stock e30 drum brakes are mechanically adjusted automatically,there is quite a lot more that can be done by turning the thumbwheel.i turned it 10 clicks and made the shoes to just graze the hub.gave the car a few hard braking spree.after that the pedal travel felt very much better by 50%! :yahoo: tho the braking effort remianed the same :angry:

Originally posted by tyke@Jan 23 2006, 01:54 PM
dudes,since many of u recommend an upgrade of e30 servo to tht from an e38.....how much and where do u recommend getting it done?

many thx and rgds,
-brad-
before you go for the bigger brake booster do a rear disc conversion.

Originally posted by Zoggee@Jan 20 2006, 07:45 PM

I can only says that the original brake is good enuf. :nyehehe:
Then what is the purpose of replace an E32/E38 brake booster into e30 ??

Originally posted by E28driver@Jan 25 2006, 10:10 AM
Improved pedal feel.
Upgrading the master cylinder/servo is more than just pedal feel. The actual brake force will have been increased. As mentioned by Jules, this may be dangerous for some as the increased force may cause the brakes to lock easily. Of course Uncle Jules being a master karter can modulate the brakes Michael S. style!

Is there any information of the brake force of the E30 brakes?

Here are some info on the E34 brake forces which is taken from www.bmwe34.net :

E34 540i brakes develop 686 lb-ft of torque on the fronts at 500 psi line pressure; the rears produce 313 LB-ft, so the f:r bias is 69:31 (as a percentage)

E34 M5 US Spec front brakes (rears are the same on US E34 M5's) generates 720 LB-ft, changes the bias to 70:30

E34 M5 Euro spec brakes generate 646 LB-ft front and 336 LB-ft rear, giving a bias of 66:34

As you can see, the brakes are the most powerful instrument on your car (going by the torque figures). As the E34 540i already generate 686 lb-ft of torque, you can imagine the force of an E38 double servo brakes and the potential hazard it will cause for some!

That being said, another down side is the rate the brake pads wear off!! Just replaced mine yesterday! I supposed there is no win-win situation here!

OSF, great info on line pressures. I think it's important to translate this to resulting caliper force.....which can be done by multiplying it to the piston surface area.

Logically & I am guessing here - the e30 would have a smaller total piston surface are ( all 4 pistons added up ) versus those found on the E38......hence a higher force on the pad is expected. You can calculate this for every caliper of course.....

Which MAY result in higher wear - as Bundy has correctly said.

MAY cos it is dependent on driving techniques......and no - OSF, I tink you mistake me with someone else-lah......cos normal sane people will look for power gains first, not brakes!

For me if the E32 MC can firm up the pedal feel and get rid of the 1 inch of slop at the top of the pedal travel, I'll be happy. Personally I'm not too bothered about pad wear.

All my brake components are in good working order, so please limit your suggestions to brake upgrade options.

Am trying to avoid going to 5 lug due to the relative complication and cost.

Please help, the lack of stopping power in emergency braking situations is shocking!

E32 servo conversion. Quite a few guys have done it. Namely Zoggee, Jules, wpyin...

no-lah, someone "lectured" me that stock e30 is good! I ran a poll before on this and in addition, offered the solution.....w pictures. wanted to share but got hantam instead.....

do a search for ur answer! Fab, it was apparently off a E38.

cheers.

E38 and E32 are similar. The one on mine is from an E32 whilst Brokeback Zoggee has the one from an E38, both looked similar.

What are the parts needed? Servo, what about the master cylinder?

Anyone have the part numbers? Off which E32 model (if there are any differences)?

What difference did this make to the braking performance?

Originally posted by Jules@Apr 5 2006, 09:00 PM
no-lah, someone "lectured" me that stock e30 is good! I ran a poll before on this and in addition, offered the solution.....w pictures. wanted to share but got hantam instead.....

do a search for ur answer! Fab, it was apparently off a E38.

cheers.
good for stock engine maybe....this one i dunno :D

e28driver, i think u got no choice...must upgrade la

Top Bottom