E30 Stock brakes...

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
sorry for small size.....but these r off Haynes manual, ori with me.

DETAILS :

7 series / E38 Servo/MC ( I think it's 25.4mm ) - same mounting holes
Slight machining needed for clevis ( the bit inside cabin )
Rerouting of hydraulic line needed, needing a T joint
Job takes in total 4-5 hours.......if your mech know whats he is doing....

I am no expert, trying to share my improvement but it may not be what you need, want or care.

Jules, u didn't post up the photo of the contents of my stomach that came out during your brake testing session?????

The White Knight used to have long pedal travel, but after changing the rear to discs and also steel braided hoses all round, not to mention 4 new discs and pads, the braking feel seem to have improved. Of course, it still doesn't feel as solid as E34 brakes but it's a big improvement. So I am now in a dilemma whether to change the servo/master cylinder setup.

Best brakes in terms of instant bite I have personally tried are VW Golf GTi MK5 and Peugeot 406. Both really bite, even more so than E34. This goes to show the setup of the modern brake system is much different to those days. Anyone who drove an Alfasud in the wet will testify that E30 brakes are good!

I love the brakes on my Mini. Immediate bite & no fade even on track. Shiok!
Zoggee

We are not better than the BMW engineers but just that we have progress in time. Now the brake system has evolve so much that we feel that the E30 brakes SUCKS! But in the 80's the brakes then would be good.

Like Koryong said, if you got nothing to compare with, then its ok lor.

OSF, I dun want tell too abt the mess you made in my car, ooops....never seen so fast someone reaching for the seatbelt during our brake test! ke ke ke... good to hear ur white knight brakes improved!

Alvin - rite on, hence this is the reason why I counter check with the sifus here...

Rite also on the Mini brakes but then that one no standard lah.......BREMBO-wor!

The BEST BRAKES i ever sat in was eeric's MINI......I got seat belt burn marks from T1, T4, T9, T15....aiyah every Ts, from the Gs!

Alvin, when I sat with u , u never drove on limit yet - scare unkle here puke...ke ke ke.

TJ, I forgot....u r now in e36 brake setup rite for ur 327 Monster!

Safety first - hence I spent more 2k on this issue.

cheers,

just love the brakes on my car now... very shoik... really bites on the highways..

now... getting used to it...maybe go with 5 lugs front set up..

my 2 ringgit..

dudes,since many of u recommend an upgrade of e30 servo to tht from an e38.....how much and where do u recommend getting it done?

many thx and rgds,
-brad-

as I know it, it's only me ( & my sifu ) saying the e38, other ppl say use mc from e28, e34? I dunno which one...

price? abt RM750 ++ for this mc/servo installed. The feeling when I brake....PRICELESS. ( saferlah, u know i old & slow reaction...)

where? u gotta ask Zoggee for this one......

mr julian,

i have personnaly done the adjustment of the linkages myself, maybe your mech or whoever you are getting your source of info is not competant........
i have to stresss that looking in the book and pictures and without hands-on experience is totally bull......
how i did it? i dont have to make it public, just to inform some of the tricks i learned myself

over time the linkage needs to be calibrated due to variuos reasons, you, as an engineer should understand this.

and i must stress that this observations were before my upgrades in my suspension setup, i got a damn good setup after the various factors i mentioned were looked into/changed/repaired/tuned when it was still a standard e30 4 lugs setup

i shall rest my case and knowledge now.....

TJ, thanks for info - I check the linkage area of the dash but have not looked in detail the area behind the pedals - my flashlite too weak one dark nite! i will do shortly day time.

The HAYNES Manual I have is certainly not competent - the diagrams and details are crab - avoid this book seriously.

The only possible adjustment I can figure out are the threaded collars for the cross bar. As an engineer, these are for pedal HEIGHT to compensate for wear ( calibrate as you mention...) and like Fabian's need - customisation to his pedal location.

Now, if we are talking the same part/component in the brake setup & then I expect you to disagree with this statement - adjusting such collars ( for length ) dun help too much cos we are not changing any leverage points. I looked specifically for them in real and also on the books. Leverage points changes will redefine the effort needed to activate the brakes......IMHO.

Just to clarify, if it is relevant to anyone.

As mentioned - I am not challenging anyone's knowledge here but rather would like to share a mod which improved things for me and maybe others.

Sharing is the word, we forget often and the forum's a great place to do that...like who I told Ludavic to contact as a walking library/sifu..anyhow, each time when someone here click on his seat belt, pls remember. I do, gratefully too.

Kinda sad - Someone warned me not to share this....should have done that & to avoid all this misunderstandings....Forums bad 4 health!! :)

cheers!

we are NOT talking about the same part, the part i'm referring to is located under the glovebox

the linkage i am referring to is the crossbar/link where there are 4 different settings, this will wear out in time because of high usage causing the thread to loosen thus more force or longer travel when appyling brakes

maybe i'm wrong, who knows.....
maybe your other "sifu" has a much better knowledge then i do, so maybe he should be adding his knowledge to this thread....?

Originally posted by Alvin@Jan 23 2006, 01:03 PM
I love the brakes on my Mini. Immediate bite & no fade even on track. Shiok!
Zoggee

We are not better than the BMW engineers but just that we have progress in time. Now the brake system has evolve so much that we feel that the E30 brakes SUCKS! But in the 80's the brakes then would be good.

Like Koryong said, if you got nothing to compare with, then its ok lor.
:unsure: why are you calling me...??? :unsure:

You say BMW engineers better mar. But here also many sifu's wor. Plus i like c!p3k you WHAT!

Top Bottom