Drl

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

alxy

Club Guest
Just want to get some understanding on the DRL (daytime running lights) concept. I set my light switch to "A" and the DRL to "on" as explained in the manual. I find that in the day time (i.e. when it's bright), both my angel eyes and lights come on (i.e. DRL activated). When it's dark, then both also come on as per norm (i.e. to light up road ahead). So question is: what's the difference then if I were just to permanently switch on my lights manually (i.e. at light switch position 2nd to the right)? Effect is the same which is both lights on at all times. Or am I not understanding or doing something right?

U have a DRL in your OBC setting?

The pre-2008 no DRL. When put 'A', that's actually activating the light sensor and automatic turn on headlights during low light condition. Only the post-2008 has DRL.

The difference between 'A' and '2' is '2' will permanently with headlights on despite under bright sun light, while 'A' only turn on headlights automatically during low light condition.

So for my 2007 E90, if I just want my corona ring switched on during day time, I'll use '1', which needs to be turned off [position 0] when park the car, or else it continue to light even FOB removed.

My 2007 OBC only has welcome lights [corona ring lights up when I use remote to unlock the doors] and no DRL. The pre-2007 don't even have welcome lights settings.

One more thing, when activated the DRL, your instrument panel backlite does not light up and the DRL automatically switch off when you switch off the engine. When you turn on the DRL function (via i-drive) and put the light control switch to AUTO, then when it is dim, headlight main beam+instrument panel light will turn on automatically.

Bro astroboy, you model is 2007 same as mine. So should have same features. I just re-read manual. The feature (on page 71) is called Daytime Driving Lights. There is a setting on the OBC where you can set it on or off (the symbol with the sun). Wonder if this is same as Daytime Running Lights? Manual doesn't say that much about what it does uniquely. Basically just what I have described.

My manual has sonic sensor to measure distance to the front vehicle.. our car where got? :4:

The manual can say whatever they want but is the feature/option available in our OBC? I remember I checked mine.. don't have.

If you scroll through the options (e.g. triple turn, unlocking only driver door or all doors with 1st remote press, etc...), isn't there one option with a sun symbol? That is the one for DDL. Mine has that option. If I set light switch to "A", then when I activate DDL, it turns on the lights even during day time (i.e. bright). But when I turn off DDL, then light comes on only when dark (i.e. light sensor). That was what I was trying to understand, since the "A" with DDL is just as if I set the light switch setting to position 2. So what's the big deal about DDL?

Astroboy, my 2007 has DRL in the OBC. If I turn it on, it has the corona rings + Xenons on during daytime (light switch set to Auto). I don't know if there is any brightness difference between the DRL Xenon and the night-time Xenon settings though. In my old US Passat with DRL, there is a brightness difference, as the DRL turns on the headlights at a lower power setting, with the normal headlights power setting being the night-time setting. So perhaps its the same for our DRL?

Top Bottom