Does E30 Motronic remember driving habits?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

evilnickwong

Club Guest
Just a quick question, I frequently unplug my E30 M40's battery when I'm out of town to prevent any battery drainage.I'm just wondering if this causes anything to reset in the car? Perhaps Motronic remembers driving habits or any sort of self-calibration stuff that it then needs to begin from scratch everytime I unplug the battery? Mainly asking because I notice fuel consumption nowadays is higher than normal, might be attributed to this?

dun think so.....but i could be wrong. Motronic early generation EFI..... Anyhow, any comments -others?

Oh OK, just that I've read before about people's cars behaving differently after unplugging battery, or some people recommending to unplug battery to "reset" the car's behaviour. Oh well. :D Thanks for the feedback.

heard about unconfirmed comments about the M40 Motronic ECU having memory. but can't confirm that... anyway, my M40 is long gone... :p

dunno about m40,but m42 motronic,stutters n idles rough everytime i take out the battery...

Hmm maybe M42 one is newer lol.

I don't have any idle or stuttering issues whenever I start the car again after long period of disuse. Just wondering since I thought FC might be related to it.

Maybe I'm just more vigorous with the car after not driving it for so long. :D

yes, it's true... and no it's not...

the ecu a-tune to your first 200km/h driving habits, then finds the best set ups from then on..it all depends on the type of fuel and condition of the car..

once you remove the battery, and puts it back after a few minutes, it will reset back again to square zero..

regards.

Mine is retarding the car to conserve the machineries.. car is getting more sluggish through time.. :(

After unplugging my E34's battery, I have idling issues it stutters and sometimes stalls. Seems to take awhile for the car to relearn idle, around 10-15 minutes.

maxxsp;542628 said:
After unplugging my E34's battery, I have idling issues it stutters and sometimes stalls. Seems to take awhile for the car to relearn idle, around 10-15 minutes.

wow.. dunknow how to diagnos it...:eek:.... must be electronic issues...

pussy;542629 said:
wow.. dunknow how to diagnos it...:eek:.... must be electronic issues...

Oops, think my explanation isn't very clear...there are no problems with the car. I read on another forum that it is normal for the car to need to relearn idle after unplugging/replacing the battery, there is a procedure to help the car relearn idle which i used. Can't seem to find the link to the thread :(

Top Bottom