Do you turn off your air-cond before you stop/start your car?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

aoch88

Club Guest
As the topic says, does it matter to turn it on/off? I have always been told that we should turn off the air cond before stopping/starting the car but for my LCI E60, I have no idea how to turn it off! :(

...turn off turn on, the switch rosak fasterlah I presume...if its not mentioned in the manual then I suppose no needlah...olden days car maybelah but with all the electronics and what not in the modern cars I think its not necessarry anymore...

I agree XXX, once switch rosak have to replace whole a/c panel, I was quoted RM900 for a used E39 one. E60 LCI sure much more expensive if there's an a/c panel.

Was your car sold with user manual? Have you rtfm about how to switched on/off a/c?

My habit was to on/off before after starting the car on my Honda Jazz... sometimes E60 "accidentally" did it :D

i dont think it matters nowadays whether or not aircon is on or off. cos the compressor does not turn on until the engine is started. prior to that, is just blower.

i heard somewhere if you turn off the aircon prior to switching on/off the engine it somehow preserves the battery..not sure how true this is..maybe like the sifus say, not applicable to modern car nowadays..

but i still do it to my car tho..somehow feels like by doing so, it saves the power needed for ignition :) i also switch off the lights, radio, sat-nav etc...becoming like an OCD for me i guess..hehe

SilverBullet;651610 said:
i heard somewhere if you turn off the aircon prior to switching on/off the engine it somehow preserves the battery..not sure how true this is..maybe like the sifus say, not applicable to modern car nowadays..

but i still do it to my car tho..somehow feels like by doing so, it saves the power needed for ignition :) i also switch off the lights, radio, sat-nav etc...becoming like an OCD for me i guess..hehe

Its habit bro :D

Thanks everyone :) There is a manual for the car and I've read it but it doesn't mention specifically that we should turn everything off. Another reason is because for older cars, people always say you must turn off air cond before starting. It seems that when you start the car and the compressor runs, there will be a huge surge of power, etc which isn't good for the car and compressor, lol.

Now I can safely leave everything on when I off my car and make this my new habit :p Thank you guys!

I have something to add on, I belive BMW R&D team have figure out this matter (power surge)very long time back and i believe in German Technology....If such small things they also cannot tackle or resolve....then there are no reason we con't support BMW and they should take back the words " The Ultimate Driving Machine".......Agree?

Haha, I agree truthfully Anthony! So far the car has been a great ride except for some squeeky plastic/rubber sound on the doors :)

i am having the same too, now i am facing a back door mirror squeeky sound...last time when i sent it for checking, they say is due to window motor, after i change it is ok but later it come back.....beside that....i am very satisfied with my car...

Ya these squeaky sound is annoying and that's the reason why I gave up my Honda Accord but now sh!t happens again. How much is the motor? I think adding lubricant would help but we need to do it every week or so?

the motor cost me about rm 600...the symptom is, when u wind down the mirror if u hear the"tack" sound.....that means ur motor is going to kaput very soon....where u stay in JB? have u ever sent ur car to AB for servicing? i need to consult something if u dun mind

I stay in KL boss and I service in Pandan Indah. So far my motor is ok (doesn't have that sound) but only rubber squeak sound. Damn sien :(

ICIC, i stay in cheras previously, since now i work in SG, i stay in JB.....very hard to find a good work shop and i am planning to go AB but after i see most comment is nagative.....i hold back...

Wow, work in SG means $$$ must be a lot better, haha :) I'm not sure about AB but personally I really won't go there because mine is an AP unit and besides, their charges are crazy.

where got $$$ so much? no $$$ only go SG work mah.....i fully agree....AB charge like crazy but their competancy still a question to me...

Guys... i solved the squeaky sound with one time spray of silicon spray along the glass 'longkang''...try it b4 u move on to expensive solution. silicon spray can get in most accessories shop and it cost only RM12 . best of luck

Thanks Shiva :) you mean we wind down the window then spray the top part where the windscreen sits when it completely winds up? Anyway I now have another problem. If turning off/on the air cond often is not a good idea, it means I will have to smoke lesser when I'm driving! Lol

Top Bottom