Comparison between E38 and E39

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Praba16

Dear BMW sifus,

I am planning to buy BMW and aiming on E39 initially but after look at E38 its tottally give me different impression in performance and as well features. I am a bit confuse and wish to make a wise decision.

Below is my few inputs on E38 and E39

1. Airbag (safety) - 10 (E38) and 6 (E39) + E38 (comes with double glaze glass)
2. Interior look and features - More on E38 than E39.
3. Maintenance and parts availability - Unknown for both models
4. Exterior look - E38 looks a bit of classic whereas E39 more to modern sedan looks
5. Performance - Little delay in response for E38 (double vanos) with E39 (very responsive)
6. Price - Almost same
7. Choices - E38 only few and E39 many

Not sure base on the above inputs would give better indicator to make my choice. I hope there are many bimmer lovers would be able to advise me and provide more inputs. Really appreciate...

1. Airbag (safety) - 10 (E38) and 6 (E39) + E38 (comes with double glaze glass)
airbag - relative.to me 6 sufficient.double glazed windows don't matter to me
2. Interior look and features - More on E38 than E39.
yes.and more things to go wrong
3. Maintenance and parts availability - Unknown for both models
e38 parts more expensive
4. Exterior look - E38 looks a bit of classic whereas E39 more to modern sedan looks
subjective.e38 looks sleeker when lowered
5. Performance - Little delay in response for E38 (double vanos) with E39 (very responsive)
same engine comparison....delayed response due to the weight of the e38
6. Price - Almost same
attraction factor
7. Choices - E38 only few and E39 many
used parts and new parts availability also a factor due to this....

Whatever your choice may be....choose the one that pleases you most .The e38 is a cruiser.The e39 can rempit and cruise.If you have to do a double take when leaving the car...then perhaps that's the one for you.....

Look-wise, E38 is sleeker. E39 is chubbier. But both aged very well.

Interior. Both feel the same to me. Same generation after all.

Engine-wise, E38 was never given the M54 engine, which is partly why it feels less responsive than the E39. If you try the pre-facelift E39 which has the M52 engine with the more restricted intakes, it will feel kind of sluggish too.

Price-wise, you probably get the E38 cheaper. 7 tends to depreciate faster than 5, like 5 depreciates faster than 3. But both are good value for money. As the saying goes ... a lot of car for the money !!

Alias,
Does the M52TU have a larger intake ? I believe it is very similar to the M54 except for the drive by wire. On the older M52, is it possible to replace the smaller intake with the larger one ? Thanks.

Don't think the intake is bigger. Power output is the same between TU and non-TU. The common mod is to replace the intake with one from earlier gen M50.

Try stepping on the gas pedal with gear in neutral. Notice how eager the M54 is rev. Tachometer needle swings to 5000 so quickly. Do the same on M52. See the difference.

Salam.. for me e39 is much more better expecialy on handling and cornering than any other model of 5 serries included e60 as well... Well say, e39 is the best bmw yang pernah saya pakai(e34,e36,e39,e60)..bmw paling teruk pernah saya pakai ialah e60...e 60 terlalu ringan & x selesa..

Top Bottom