Clucking and liquid flowing sound from 520i

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Sss

Club Guest
Hi.Got my 520i for almost 2 weeks, new to Beemer.During driving, some clucking sounds may appear, from behind the instrument panel, not too sure ifit is from the engines.Some liquid flowing sounds appear at times too...Anyone experienced this before or any idea?Thanks...

Hi,

I also collected my 520i about 2 weeks.

I dont experience the sound you mentioned (there are some sound but near the climate control , mechanical sound perhaps controlling airflow etc) - perhaps go back and let them check.

I sometimes have my audio interrupted for a split second. Sometimes quite frequently. Do you have this issue?
Due back for them to check soon.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

The mechanical sound you encounter may be similar to the clucking sound I mentioned.

Went to the service centre, the technician said the sounds are from the climate control.
It is the result of mixture of hot and cold water in the system.
You can try warming up the temperature all the way to 28 degrees and see whether you can hear any water flowing sound.

He said this happened to 523 and 528 too.
I really don't know whether is this 'normal' or 'acceptale'.
Anyway they will get back to me for more info.

As of the interruption of audio, I haven't encounter any yet..

cafee;710843 said:
Hi,

I also collected my 520i about 2 weeks.

I dont experience the sound you mentioned (there are some sound but near the climate control , mechanical sound perhaps controlling airflow etc) - perhaps go back and let them check.

I sometimes have my audio interrupted for a split second. Sometimes quite frequently. Do you have this issue?
Due back for them to check soon.

IMHO, I think the radio issue arise whenever you are in a weak signal transition area. Try un-tick the RDS option in your idrive - FM - Option page and see whether it reduce the interruption.

We got multiple regional FM frequency broadcasting the same channel, one of RDS function is help to search for the stronger signal broadcast. When you are in area of overlapping, there radio will become a bit haywire as they are busy searching and switching.

e.g. My FM channel broadcasting their program at 101.8 around Klang area and 100.6 for adjacent states (N.S. and Perak) but in KL, their 100.6 signal sometime is stronger than the local 101.8, then the radio try to search and logon to the 100.6 causing the sudden interruption.

Thanks for the informative post.

Unfortunately - not only radio is affected but all audio sources. Have not been out of Klang Valley since I got the car.

morrogan;711152 said:
IMHO, I think the radio issue arise whenever you are in a weak signal transition area. Try un-tick the RDS option in your idrive - FM - Option page and see whether it reduce the interruption.

We got multiple regional FM frequency broadcasting the same channel, one of RDS function is help to search for the stronger signal broadcast. When you are in area of overlapping, there radio will become a bit haywire as they are busy searching and switching.

e.g. My FM channel broadcasting their program at 101.8 around Klang area and 100.6 for adjacent states (N.S. and Perak) but in KL, their 100.6 signal sometime is stronger than the local 101.8, then the radio try to search and logon to the 100.6 causing the sudden interruption.

morrogan;711152 said:

About the RDS function, when i save the station that i want, lets say i am in Johor area it is set to 95.4 (my FM)... on my previous ride which has RDS, it will automatically switch to the strongest signal while i on the move. however on my f10, i notice that i need to re-search for it and save it again...

hi sss
clucking and liquid flowing sound is from aircond,my 528 having this issue which send to AB jb to retify,first time sending they fail to have it done,2nd time they have both issue settle:D

cw9722;712139 said:
hi sss
clucking and liquid flowing sound is from aircond,my 528 having this issue which send to AB jb to retify,first time sending they fail to have it done,2nd time they have both issue settle:D

I heard the liquid flowing sound too but it's only during the initial engine startup in the morning, no clucking sound though. Is this normal?

willie;711415 said:
About the RDS function, when i save the station that i want, lets say i am in Johor area it is set to 95.4 (my FM)... on my previous ride which has RDS, it will automatically switch to the strongest signal while i on the move. however on my f10, i notice that i need to re-search for it and save it again...

If I am not mistaken, the memory function saved the exact frequency in your home state. So when you are in KL and you press the memory button, it will be directed to 95.4 and not the local frequency.

If you are on 95.4 on your home state and leave it on while travelling to KL, the RDS function will search for the stronger signal and keep you logon and smooth in transition.

morrogan;712662 said:
If I am not mistaken, the memory function saved the exact frequency in your home state. So when you are in KL and you press the memory button, it will be directed to 95.4 and now the local frequency.

If you are on 95.4 on your home state and leave it on while travelling to KL, the RDS function will search for the stronger signal and keep you logon and smooth in transition.

Thanks, will try again when i travel up to KL...

wjmg;712390 said:
I heard the liquid flowing sound too but it's only during the initial engine startup in the morning, no clucking sound though. Is this normal?

Am not sure this is normall or not,but sometimes my car still have this liquid sound,especially when raining or ambient temp is low as 24-27C-:)

Thanks for all the replies.

cw9722, so the service center actually didn't fix it because you still hear the sound ?

This morning I switched off the aircond while driving, no sound.
The moment I turned on the aircond, could hear the liquid flowing very clearly.
So it is confirm that the sound is from the climate control, the thing is whether this is normal or should I insist the
service center to fix it?

I have the same problem too, the sound is rather loud in the morning, even back passengers can hear it clearly. I am sending my car to AB for checking on 14th Feb, will let u guys know the outcome.

last night my kids were complaining bottom part of rear passenger feel hot whenever i switch on air cond,and they even said this happen since day 1 i took the car:(
will send back for diagnose of climate again next week......

Liquid flowing sound (from climate control) onF10

Tamara,

Hi, any update on your car check? Thanks?

Any other F10 be it 528 or 523 owner have the liquid flowing sound when using the aircond? Spoke to a technician and he claimmed that this is common on 523 and 528, wonder should I buy his story...

Getting frustrated with the sound.

Thanks.

I sent my car in AB Glenmarie, while i was explaining to the service officer, the workshop leader came over and explained that this is the 'character' for F10, nothing can be done. The sound was generated by the opening of valves. He was reluctant to put it as a 'complaint' in their system. I told him the sound is annoying but he insisted this is not a technical fault and nothing the workshop can do about it.

Any other channel we can report to? I hate the sound too..

Sss;715621 said:
Tamara,

Hi, any update on your car check? Thanks?

Any other F10 be it 528 or 523 owner have the liquid flowing sound when using the aircond? Spoke to a technician and he claimmed that this is common on 523 and 528, wonder should I buy his story...

Getting frustrated with the sound.

Thanks.

I ran my 523I for 6 months now
and I never heard of such thing as characters of F10.
is Not even well discussed in other international forum.

dont bulge into his BS!

Thanks for the info.

Tried to search online oregarding this problem, like ck318ci pointed out, it is not even discussed on any forum... or at least I was not able to find anything on this...

My 528 has the same liquid flowing sound from climate control, which I presumed is normal all this while.
Kindly update us if there's any latest findings ... Thanks!

hi Sss i have just collected my 520i yesterday and i have the same problem clucking and liquid flowing sound. my neighbor has a 523i and he said he doesnt experience that. when i checked with my SA he said it may be a design defect and most of the 520 units come with that. knowing BMW this will not happen. i think it is manufacturing defect.

Top Bottom