Cracking Sound from Windown Panel and Dashboard

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Hi Owen,

Stupid question. The alcohol based solution is applied to windows and the parts its touches in the door frame? Is that correct? Would this cause any problems with the tinting?

It's an alcohol solvent, so technically it can be safely applied on anything except extremely hot materials.

You should spray the stuff on the (1) felt material of the upper door seals, and (2) the body frame where the seals make contact. It shouldn't even touch any part of the windows. Even it did there's no problem with that - the solvent is cleaner than water.

Hi guys,

I noticed the seals at my rear windshield are cracking a bit also. What can I do about them? If only at least to prevent them cracking further.

Thanks

Is it the rear window shade?

Had that in previous ride, and never found a solution for it. Wear and tear over time period so things just got loose. I think I squeezed some small pillows on the sides so the screen wouldn't rattle over uneven roads.

No, not the shade. The outer plastic seal which goes around the rear windshield. Noticed some cracks forming.

Hi All,

Just to share my experience, I uses these "DashBoard Wax" and just spray wipe throughout the contact area like Owen's illustration,

It lasts about a week only, then I have to change,

Guess I have to go BMWorld Desa Pandan to resolve this issue...

Did more testing (stopped cleaning the door seals). I realised that if there's constant rain, and Kuala Lumpur's been having alot of that lately, the creaks eventually returns.

The teflon tape installation reduces the overall noise and regularity of the creaks, so you'll hear them only when driving on terribly uneven roads. But they're hardly noticeable if you have the radio on low-volume.

I have the same problem......but after placing the the 4 top window seal that cost me abt RM1k....the crack sound stop! So anyone who want to rectify this problem...u may advised to do the same.

janantan...the problem is afta some time the sound will return again one even of you replace all the seals...

mine also like that and finally AB put the tape on all four doors and so far so good...

t2ribena;347152 said:
janantan...the problem is afta some time the sound will return again one even of you replace all the seals...

mine also like that and finally AB put the tape on all four doors and so far so good...

i heard it doesn't work as well...

owen;334271 said:
It's an alcohol solvent, so technically it can be safely applied on anything except extremely hot materials.

You should spray the stuff on the (1) felt material of the upper door seals, and (2) the body frame where the seals make contact. It shouldn't even touch any part of the windows. Even it did there's no problem with that - the solvent is cleaner than water.

Thanks Owen. Tried some of the stuff you mentioned, didn't work for very long. Somebody mentioned a workshop in Desa Pandan, I'm gonna try that.

(to verify that you have the same problems as I did, you could just lower your window by just a tiny 1 or 2mm, and if the noise goes away, then you probably have the same issues as I had before).

My solution to the creaking door frame:
Apply leather care lotion generously to the felt type material on the window frame. Rub them in. You are done. 5 minutes stuff. No annoying advisor to deal with, no expensive replacement blah blah blah.

My first use of this, the noise left me for more than 1.5 years. Came back a bit, I did the lotion thing again. Car now coming to 4 years. No problem.

Try it. I have a few friends try this out and it worked for them also.

Don't use wax, or WD40. I figured if the leather lotion is gentle to the leather, then it should be gentle enough for felt material. Or maybe we can try "wife's body lotion. hahaha".

The dash board creaks, my workshop fixed that for me. I don't know what they did but I suspect they put silicon between it and the body frame at the front window side.

dear all,

the creaking sound from my doors are back about 6 months after i replaced the door seals (cost about 1k). worse still now i'm getting the dashboard creak as well. mind to share your experiences so we can know which one is long-term solution for this problem. for window creak, seem like the best solution is teflon tapes from BM World desa pandan. thx...

stranger...which workshop fixed your dashboard creaking problem?

ess 530,

I use Magic 101 Dash Board shine and wipe the door seals. Need to do it every week, no sound and cost effective :)

heard all E60 face same problem, no solution till now...

give it a try dude

dashboard creaking problem solved by tightening the front 'strut bar'...heard its a common problem & thank god the solution is f.o.c. which is rare. one more problem to solve which is the window creaking problem i've spoken to a few workshop and nobody can guarantee a definite solution...

I notice locally assemble UDM seem to have tha dashboard creaking problem.

My 14yrs old CBU E36 does not any creaking sound but my friend 1997 e36 CKD seem to have creakign sound.

Even my E46 CKD 05 seem to have dashboard that creaking when going over uneven road. I notice that CBU have a black tape on the back of the door panel and dashboard. Could this help to reduce the creaking sound.

omg, my new ride also facing the same problem ..... 525 japan spec. The cracking sound really killing me. Anyone got any idea how much BM world charge? Is the tape a permanent solutions ? Anyone found the best place to fix this problem ?

Million thanks ....

j0shua;364028 said:
Thanks for the link, the SIB has explained a lot. The SA suggested yesterday to replace all the seals, and it just didn't seem a likely fix. My car's pre-flocking change, before Jan '05, so hopefully the procedure A will solve this issue.

Procedure A did solve the problem. Followed the SIB to the letter, the car is creak-free now :)

Hi reviving an old thread. Just took delivery of my recon 525. The door frames have this tape around the edges but it's still creaking! Would replacing the tape help? Or can I just use Vaseline? Anyone tried?

Top Bottom