Car jerk in accelaration at 2000-3000rpm.

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

fadzli 325i

Club Guest
I use E46 325i M54, and I have this problem with soft jerky in acceleration from 2500 - 3000 RPM. If I accelerate between 2000 and 3000 RPM, the car bucks like it's misfiring. the jerky accel happens while cruising not starting from a stand still. I could feel the car...jerk, hiccup, repetative hesitation from ~2,000-3000 and make sound in exhaust like air rushing out. Speed at 40-80km/h. Engine like lost power at this RPM. It can be well noticable when going uphill. It happen in 1-3sec and goes well like normal when i release and ram the accelarator gas pedal. (means that, the rpm is higher than 3000rpm)Just check/diagnos with my mech. Everything functioning well. No faulty at all. All related component like ignition coils, MAF, VANOS, Transmission, sensors also works well. I also check the exhaust, no ehaust leaking.Is there anyone had facing the same problem before.?

Bro, not all of the faulty in this car can be detected by comp diagnose, before you do something expensive, lets try the DIY first:

1) Go to your MAF sensor (circuitry between air filter and hose- just like slot, unhook it and remove) then clean it using CRC.
2) It might becoz of your spark plugs. try to clean or change the spark plug all together instead of 1 by 1.

Sorry, Just check again the problem happened at what RPM this morning.
It is between 1500 - 2000 RPM. Not between 2000rpm to 3000rpm.

To Zulkifli: I dont think the fuel filter. btw i will check it first. tq

Any members had facing the same problem? please advise.

Fireuz;572695 said:
Bro, not all of the faulty in this car can be detected by comp diagnose, before you do something expensive, lets try the DIY first:

1) Go to your MAF sensor (circuitry between air filter and hose- just like slot, unhook it and remove) then clean it using CRC.
2) It might becoz of your spark plugs. try to clean or change the spark plug all together instead of 1 by 1.

Bro, maybe you can go to Optimum Kayu Ara. Look for Ah Fai or Ah Foo, they may help you to solve this. I've got the same problem before, but that one because of the Vanos sensor (changed complete set; O-ring, sensor, etc) and it's solved.

My friend had the same thing on his E39, he found that the problem from the clutch slipping, incorrect gear selection against the speed.

fadzli 325i;572698 said:

this problem happens in morning only right? ..... when the engine is trying to warm up.
doubt you have this when its fully warmed up.

same defect with my car will check with Blue Green Motor tomorrow hope there can solve the problem .

Don't forget ur fuel pump... 'sudah kena' before this... until break down... turn out the fuel pump 'kaput'

tropos_net;572908 said:
this problem happens in morning only right? ..... when the engine is trying to warm up.
doubt you have this when its fully warmed up.

Not when the engine warm up. It happens while moving with rpm btw 1500-2000rpm.

m.azharm5;572915 said:
same defect with my car will check with Blue Green Motor tomorrow hope there can solve the problem .

Please let me know what the faulty of your ride if we had the same prob. Hope your mech can tackle the problem.

StopMe_;572986 said:
Don't forget ur fuel pump... 'sudah kena' before this... until break down... turn out the fuel pump 'kaput'

Are you facing the same problem? It can be well notice while the car moving uphill.

In the morning, normally i warm up the engine, When i turn on the engine switch, can hear the sound of fuel pump start pumping. This is normal.

Unfortunately, when engine start, I still can hear a sound at the back of the car (kanan passenger side) only when im outside of the car. Sound like the fuel pump running. It is normal or not?

Is that the fuel pump can cause the problem? i wil check the fuel pump.

Any other possibilities?

fadzli 325i;572698 said:

Why do think it is NOT the fuel filter?
When was the last time you change it?
Does your problem happen at full tank or when it near empty?

You can also check the fuel pump condition by using test #9 which basically tell you the level of the right and left fuel sender.

fadzli 325i;573072 said:
Are you facing the same problem? It can be well notice while the car moving uphill.

In the morning, normally i warm up the engine, When i turn on the engine switch, can hear the sound of fuel pump start pumping. This is normal.

Unfortunately, when engine start, I still can hear a sound at the back of the car (kanan passenger side) only when im outside of the car. Sound like the fuel pump running. It is normal or not?

Is that the fuel pump can cause the problem? i wil check the fuel pump.

Any other possibilities?

It is not normal to hear the fuel pump. Use test #9 to check condition

jarance;573073 said:
Why do think it is NOT the fuel filter?
When was the last time you change it?
Does your problem happen at full tank or when it near empty?

You can also check the fuel pump condition by using test #9 which basically tell you the level of the right and left fuel sender.

Why do think it is NOT the fuel filter? Now, i think i should check it.
When was the last time you change it? Not sure :hmmmm: Just get my ride early month of this year.
Does your problem happen at full tank or when it near empty? Every time either it near empty or full.

Can you explain how to check the fuel pump cond using test #9? im newbies.

You can check your fuel sender by using the below procedure.
Basically the driver side should always be higher if the fuel pump is working properly.

See TEST #6.0 listed below.

Instructions to access the hidden OBC functions:

1. Hold Trip Reset while turning ignition key to on position
2. OBC should show "Test"
3. Use Trip Reset to select function 19.0 that unlocks all the features
4. Wait for display to show "Off"
5. Depress Trip Reset for 1/4 second and release it
6. With no delay press Trip Reset several times to select one of the following function s

BMW E46 On-Board Computer (OBC) Hidden Codes
nr example description
1 Car Engine and cluster data
1.0 46nnn Chassis nr/VIN serial number (last 5 digits)
1.1 4nnn K-number
1.2 690236 Cluster Part #
1.3 045210 Coding (04)/diagnosis (52)/bus index (10)
1.4 1200 Week (12)/year of manufacture (2000)
1.5 09_160 Hardware (09) and software # (16.0) of cluster
1.6 Not used
1.7 04__44 CAN-version (04) KI-revision index (44)
2 (test) Cluster System Test - Activates the gauge drivers,
indicators and LEDs to confirm function
3 SI Data
3.0 1098 Used fuel in liters since last SI (Service Inspection)
3.1 0231 Periodic inspection days; elapsed days (since last SI)
4 Momentary Consumption
4.0 0145+ Instant fuel consumption - 0145=14.5 liters/100km
4.1 0018 Instant fuel consumption - 0018=1.8 l/Hour
5 Distance Gone Consumption
5.0 082 Average mileage; 082=8.2 liters/100km
5.1 0536 Calc. km to refuel (momentary distance to go)
6 Fuel Level sensor inputs in liters
6.0 109330+ Fuel level averaged; Left half sensor input=10.9 liters; Right sensor input=33.0 liters
6.1 0439+ Total tank level averaged; vlgs 6.0: 10.9+33.0=43.9 liters
6.2 0442+ Indicated value (44.2) and tank phase
7 Temperature and Speed
7.0 021+ Coolant/Engine temperature (2.1C)
7.1 130 Ambient/Outside temperature - chg met 5 pts. 125/130/135
7.2 + Engine speed / Current RPMs 1/min
7.3 + Vehicle speed / Current Speed in km/hour
8 Input value in HEX form
8.0 1d0+ System voltage ADC-Value Hex code
8.1 26C33C+ ADC Values HG left/HG right
8.2 0000 ADC Value brake degradation sensor (000=o.k.)
8.3 18C ADC Value outside temperature
9 Battery
9.0 140 Battery Voltage - 140 = UB 14.0v

I have experienced the same problem on my E90 320 N46 early this year.It shudder/jerk at 1500-2000 rpm between 20-40kmh speed.Car feels struggling to build up speed at this rpm range.Above that, car can be driven as normal and the gear shift is rather smooth.Firstly suspect cause by low ATF level since got my ATF heat exchanger leaked. After change the ATF heat exchanger, the problem still persist. Went for a GB diagnose at Mscope Bt Caves, found out solenoid failure. Service the valve body (Mechatronic) and changed all 7 pieces of solenoids.After few programming sessions, the problem hidden for a while. Now it came back and I don't know whether it is related to GB issues or engine.Now i am trying to recall whether the problem started when I changed the ignition coils and spark plug. Could it be a wrong spark plug or as what Jarance said I should check the fuel pump.

Top Bottom