Breaking-In and Driving Off

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Daniel

Club Guest
Just curious.How safe is the E46 in terms of passive security?Will the typical methods of car theft be deflected or will they still work?

Hi...apparently, the car comes with an immobilizer. Nonetheless...good question. :D

i thought our key is coded and its not possible to have a duplicate by third party to start the car? and i believe the car cannot be hotwired as well (is that true?) if the above is true, then i think we have nothing to worry about. the most they can only break our glass and steal our thing inside

I dont use gimmicky steering locks (i want a quick getaway out of a situation if i need to) or anything else cos i trust the BMW immobiliser is good enough.

Thats why they have resorted to hijacks.

Originally posted by Mouse@Jun 24 2006, 09:59 AM
i thought our key is coded and its not possible to have a duplicate by third party to start the car? and i believe the car cannot be hotwired as well (is that true?) if the above is true, then i think we have nothing to worry about. the most they can only break our glass and steal our thing inside
Or put a gun on your head/point a knife at you and demand for your keys....

standard car security is good enough......the key is needed for anyone to drive the car off.......therefore ensure that your have all the 4 keys or 3 keys....please refer to your car manual - think till y2002 it was 4 keys, then from 2003 onwards, it was 3 keys....

however, please do not leave any valuables in the car as the glass can still be broken and access through the window is possible - they just cannot drive away with your car as they need the key......

If you lost your spare key, how can you duplicate one then? And how much would it cost?

azwanb...go to AB la...cost not too sure now....whether can or not..depends on ur car model n type of key :D

:yahoo:

correct...late model Bimmers have coded driveaway protection (immobilizer) and dead bolt locks. The OEM factory alarm would have the interior motion sensor, bonnet and tow away angle sensor as well.

Pretty much the only ways to steal these cars are 1) carjacking, 2) towing it away 3) high-tech grab of rolling code to open door/disable immobilizer (highly unlikely though).

So rest easy ... :D

Originally posted by KL2DC@Jul 14 2006, 12:11 PM
correct...late model Bimmers have coded driveaway protection (immobilizer) and dead bolt locks. The OEM factory alarm would have the interior motion sensor, bonnet and tow away angle sensor as well.

Pretty much the only ways to steal these cars are 1) carjacking, 2) towing it away 3) high-tech grab of rolling code to open door/disable immobilizer (highly unlikely though).

So rest easy ... :D
meaning of late model bimmer? from what year onwards have the function u mention?

Top Bottom