Wind Noice

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
I have an 1995 e34 CKD. Changed the outer and inner rubber of the doors. Foamed the chasis on the pillars too. Still have wind noise. Last bit to change is the rubbers on the window and the top rubber on the doors.

The wind noise is common and it happended to all my BMW. No cure so far on my E21 & E36. SUCK Big time ..

Originally posted by daan@Apr 4 2006, 09:59 AM
Ok, results of my DOE.

Temperature: 27C
Road condition: Dry
Distance covered: 500 meter
Speed : 100km/hr

Control run with side mirror extended.
Results: Wind noise audioble.

Test run with side mirror folded.
Results: Wind noise audioble

Consulsion:
The results indicate that with the information made available during the analysis of the experomental results, the experiment seems to suggest that side mirro may not be the determining factor for wind noice.
Hey Daan, where did u do 100kmh for 500m? Drag strip somewhere we don't know about? :D

daan,

I sat in my fren's 2.4Camry (year 2004)...damn quiet at 150...BM...darn it...irritating wind noise...even the Proton Waja..yes..a WAJA....has little to none wind noise at 140km/h..though the road noise sux.....

All bros,
Back to how to get rid of wind noise....its definitely not the mirror...coz the e39 does have better wind noise protection and the same square mirror....

However, I did post up this question in e46fanatics and seems like some coupe owners do not have it but most sedan owners have it....Anybody got a drag strip can try stuffing some tissue or some sort onto the upper front side of the door...i believe it would help..haven't got a chance to do so yet....

Having said that....when i first got my car (about 1.5years back), wind noise is only prominent at 140km/h above..now...100km/h oledi have....damn it...definitely is the rubber seals around the door.....they have wont out...changing the rubber seals however would not totally eliminate it....

just now lunch chat with another buddy with E46

changing rubber cant help much

i think the design is like tat lo

any one suspect due to the screen windows tat we tinted ??

any one without tinted windows got this problem?

or less significant?

For drag, best stretch i've tried so far is the SGH traffic lights to the green road/keretapi junction lights - probably abt 1km or so.

Anywhere else anyone know of?

Outside CM's house too wavy la! Batu kawa quite OK but a bit dark! And too many in-roads - dangerous! U know Kuching drivers la!

Originally posted by leakwoon@Apr 4 2006, 02:37 PM
just now lunch chat with another buddy with E46

changing rubber cant help much

i think the design is like tat lo

any one suspect due to the screen windows tat we tinted ??

any one without tinted windows got this problem?

or less significant?
mine is coupe and i have this wind noise problem only my passenger side...

b4 and after tinted still the same noise.....

and still searching for solution... :(

Originally posted by mini_jeff67@Apr 4 2006, 03:17 PM
For drag, best stretch i've tried so far is the SGH traffic lights to the green road/keretapi junction lights - probably abt 1km or so.

Anywhere else anyone know of?

Outside CM's house too wavy la! Batu kawa quite OK but a bit dark! And too many in-roads - dangerous! U know Kuching drivers la!
you should try bako bridge during night time.... :D :D :D ..can see free drag race somemore... :D :D :D :D mostly friday night, saturday night...the road surface are quite flat & smooth...

And there I was proposing a wind noise tt is west msia when most of u guys were in east msia. Duh.

I have found another drag, after the toll bridge heading towards astana, it's about 1 km also.

West Malaysian people should have have this problem. Anyway, will be off to KL in a day or so, will be back next week for more wind noice troubleshooting.

Originally posted by mini_jeff67@Apr 4 2006, 11:15 PM
That on the way to damai?
Nope..on the way to sejingkat area...can see lots of fully loaded tune up car drag race among themselves..sometimes got Evo..but thy not dare to dare with souped up Wira or Toyota KE30..thy can easily "tapau" Evo :D ...

Tests are carried out under very stringent conditions, under various circumstances in order for us to derive a reasonable accurate assessment of the actual capabilities and limits of the Ultimate Driving Machine, which in itself is an already a work of art, and we in our own small way seek to contribute to its' never ending quest to secure achievements of far greater proportions!

*breathe, breathe, breathe*

Hi Guys, Lee et al,

Same problem with my CBU coupe. Was quiet initially. Now the wind noise is noticable at 80 and unbearable at 120. My mech says its definately not the windscreen seals, more likely door and window seals. The wind noise in my car actually increased after foaming. Plus i developed a whole lot of creaks and rattles in both door inner panels and back panels as a result of shoddy work while replacing the panels. Plastic and insulation sheets in the door frame were not inserted back after foaming resulting in water leakage into the door panels. This even happens after a car wash. End result is decaying door sills, each of which will cost 2.5k new. And has to be imported from Germany. I also think the rubber linings and seals in Bimmers generally don't hold well in our weather. The condition of the rubber seals (top and bottom) on my rear side windows is unbelievably bad. And no one seems to stock them in M'sia(coupe owners beware!) I think some air-cond ventilation flaps left open (or jammed) may contribute. Lastly, forget about Camry. My wife's 1.3litre Getz is more silent and composed at 160km/h then most E36s at 100km/h. Suggest you guys just invest in a good sound system...so long as they don't involve opening door panels.

Mohan

Top Bottom