BMW Vs PORSCHE

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
adliz;196606 said:
exactly.. tested the cartrade's exige.. was told only 997 gt3 can compare in terms of driver's involvement AND competitiveness on track.. stock exige would run circles around stock gt3.. true aa?

I wouldn't say run circles lah, I think they both perform on the same level. The 997 GT3 is a helluva car though, especially the RS version. Its on the top of my lottery winning list :D I think the 997 Turbo is too accomplished for its own good.

You hit the nail on the spot though, there is no such thing as a perfect car. Every car is different and every car is good in its own way.

smz;195887 said:
Prefer the air cool engine............993. If budget permits than the 997, eventhough not air cool but the lights looks better..........

Anyway, a 12 year old car against a brand new car..............just wonder why the porsche drives better..............it is just in the head? or really the porsche built better car 12 years ago than a brand new car from BMW today!

Please comment???

1. the budget for 997 carrera base model new is abt RM750k ?

2. altho the 993 is solid as a vault, it is still already 12 yrs old and technology on 996 is newer (1998-2004). unless, you are a collector. I wud choose a 996 C4S, it looks good. shud be abt RM450k.

3. but its a difficult choice between a late model 993 (1997) and an m3 e46 2001-2002. I wud go for the 993 in this case.

4. anyway, you can get a used 986 model boxster s 3.2 litres also. (2001-2004)

adliz;196606 said:
exactly.. tested the cartrade's exige.. was told only 997 gt3 can compare in terms of driver's involvement AND competitiveness on track.. stock exige would run circles around stock gt3.. true aa?

i always believe, every marque has a different purpose and deisgn philosophy.. moreover when comparing different generation cars.. to me, porsche and/or ferrari, no matter how well they drive, or syiok, must also be FAST! thats why i decided not to get the 993 or 355.. bmw on the other hand is an all-rounder car.. sits 5 and carry luggage for the long journey during raya.. :D

granted, 993 is always gonna be 'better' than any bmws if we look at one aspect of it, but understandably, people wud still get an e46/e90 for a different purpose.. given the choice between 996 tt and e60 m5, i'd get the latter as i'd need it for 'daily use'..

the best, get all!! :D thats what some people do.. heck, they even have honda jazz in the garage.. best town car? hehe

guess those who drives porsches etc have more than 1 car and will probably use the 7 series or S class for long family trips

smz;195860 said:
Which is a better car manufacturer? OK, maybe be more specific........................................ E46 M3 Vs. 993/911. Which is a better car?

Entry level BMW with powerful engine versus sport car ( super car ) ........not rocket science to figure.

I have just started reading this thread and guys.....come on.....as far as branding is concerned ......a Porsche is a Porsche.
I may have a lovely 93 Touring but my 90 928S4 just stunts me every morning when i open my front door.( to get into my slow diesel Triton)
OSF, nice to hear u like the 928. Personally , its my favorite but many Porsche diehards are still pro RR 911 setup.Hence making the 928 a great used car buy.

My car is 16 yrs old but at 65k km , it feels newer now than my 2 year old family MPV

But given the choice of a newer car ( at a budget of approx 300k), i wd go for the aircooled 1997 993 S or 4S .Some friends of mine have the 05 996 turbo and its a rocket that rides on air....so supple was the suspension.

aaron;196961 said:
I have just started reading this thread and guys.....come on.....as far as branding is concerned ......a Porsche is a Porsche.
I may have a lovely 93 Touring but my 90 928S4 just stunts me every morning when i open my front door.( to get into my slow diesel Triton)
OSF, nice to hear u like the 928. Personally , its my favorite but many Porsche diehards are still pro RR 911 setup.Hence making the 928 a great used car buy.

My car is 16 yrs old but at 65k km , it feels newer now than my 2 year old family MPV

But given the choice of a newer car ( at a budget of approx 300k), i wd go for the aircooled 1997 993 S or 4S .Some friends of mine have the 05 996 turbo and its a rocket that rides on air....so supple was the suspension.

Bro, is you 928 M or A?????

Which do you guys think provides a greater driving experience, a "PORSCHE" or "BMW" ? and, I know they aren't in the same price range, so not counting price, which provides an overall better driving experience?

smz;197026 said:
Which do you guys think provides a greater driving experience, a "PORSCHE" or "BMW" ? and, I know they aren't in the same price range, so not counting price, which provides an overall better driving experience?

that's a no brainer...for me,the Porsche.

Porsche or BMW. Then I'd say PORSCHE. However, it's subjective on a person to person basis. Go test drive both and decide for yourself. What's involving for others may not be involving for you.

Actually even within the same brand, there are some which are more involving to drive than others. One such comparison is the E30 M3 vs E46 M3, which is more involving to drive? the E30 M3 doesn't have the plethora of electronics and the speed but most drivers find that it has more 'soul' than the more powerful and faster E46 M3.

See Tiff Needel driving the E30 M3 on track. The lap time is slower than a Mitsubishi Colt (I suppose the turbo version) but the car is 20 years old!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaK7KhQADSs

As he says, a great drive is not about raw speed. It's a lot of things, feedback, the butt feel, the wind in your hair, etc, etc. For sure the E46 M3 lack that "rawness" which puts a smile on your face. You would have to look at the speedo to get the sense of being fast. Whereas in a little Golf Mk1/2 GTI you feel "fast" without going all that quick........

As I said before, these two car manufacturers are producing different cars, at least when we are talking about the 911s versus the 3 series. For those that think the Porsche is a better car overall, try driving the 911 everyday. Yup, its more user friendly than a Ferrari but its still not a vehicle which you would feel comfortable enough to use everyday...probably more often than a Ferrari but still a weekend car. The only Porsche that competes head on with a Bimmer is the Cayenne vs the X5 and probably the Cayman vs the Z4M.

Want something that is as involving to drive like the 911 997 turbo, then compare to its equivalent on the track, the e46 M3 GTR used in the ALMS race. :)

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/0205_bmwm3gtr/

beemaro;196921 said:
guess those who drives porsches etc have more than 1 car and will probably use the 7 series or S class for long family trips

exactly.. like i said, get one car for respective purposes.. heck go get 993 (the so cool air-cool machine), 996(for daily), 997(night outs), cayenne (long trips), caymen(convoys) since all have 'different' character.. but i doubt thats the case here, hence my deduction.. :D

i m lucky i had the chance to drive the cayenne turbo and 996tt for daily.. one too big to throw around, one too fast for our daytime traffic.. tested 993 briefly before getting the m3.. i guess i just apreciate speed and technology more..

of course a no brainer, porsche is always gonna be porsche.. :D wish i can get a 03' mk2 gt3.. but in my case, i'd need another bmw and i can get an e60m5 for the same price.. so guess which is better? neither! :D

OSF, all 928S4 models r autos.(1998 thru 1991) 316hp 5litre
The manual version is known as the 928GT ( 1990 n 1991) 326hp 5 litre
From model yr 92 thru 95 , the GTS ( in auto or manual) was the last version
of the 928 ( 350 hp i think) 5.4 litres
The GTS is the car to own.

thought all of us are here to talk about cars..

but what the hey..i'm cool.

Mav,sorry bro..we'll talk later

Top Bottom