BMW Vs PORSCHE

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
all newer cars even porsches come with electronics.. i guess more people are dummies nowadays.. :D

to me, even the 996 tt is rather disappointing in terms of driving experience.. yes it goes like rocket, but the awd feels remote and artificial, dare i say too easy to drive..? but i guess thats the beauty of it..? never dare to switch off the psm though.. so i wudnt know if they wud be as rewarding as the 993.

to me, the grunt of the gt3 wud easily exceed the joy of driving the m3.. anyone tested the 997 gt3..? they claim it brings back the glory of 993 era..

adliz: yeah I agree, the 997 Turbo is too clinical. My dream Porsche is a 997 GT3 RS :)

wirelessjunkie;196142 said:
..........The M3 on the other hand is a different animal. It's a bit like a supercar for dummies. Step on the pedal and let the electronics work it out. Don't get me wrong, I love the M3 for what it is and the manner which the engine growls!!... If I'm not careful, there may just be one on my driveway tomorrow :(

I saw something on your driveway when I passed by you house today..........

399289753_449f4630ba.jpg

What you bros think of the Cayman S and the E92 335i? Which would you go for?

KL2DC;196146 said:
adliz: yeah I agree, the 997 Turbo is too clinical. My dream Porsche is a 997 GT3 RS :)

Had the opportunity to be in a 996 tt and immediately then after a 996 gt3......what a difference....the 996 tt reminded me of a 3 series with almost 3 times the power of my 323ci......it had 450bhp but it felt just like my car, in fact the engine did not sound inspiring at all but much faster in a straight line and around corners than my car.......

The gt3 was a different animal... it revs to 8k+ (tt was i think about 6.5k rpm redline), sounds like a mini ferrrari without the high maintanence costs.....and feels totally different....and there is no auto for the gt3 only manual......

according to the owners, the running costs are comparable and not much more than a bmw except for tires...but both cars only clock 10,000km per year and have about 30,000km on them so alot of parts do not need to be changed as yet......

for me, if had the chance...a 996 gt3 over a turbo...but if it was to be a daily car, then maybe the turbo.....but if using it as a daily driver, resale could be difficult as the market is not used to having high mileage high performance cars......so the resale price may be lower....

in conclusion, would prefer a gt3 over a tt as a weekend car....but if getting a porsche as a daily driver, buy a second hand one that has very low mileage - (there are a few in malaysia) and then use it daily and after 3 years, the car would have average mileage on it making it easier to sell.......

OSFlanker;196237 said:
I saw something on your driveway when I passed by you house today..........

399289753_449f4630ba.jpg

same m3 as the one in the video going up genting aa?

KL2DC;195870 said:
From my observation, the natural progression seems to be:

Honda --> BMW --> Porsche

I'm currently in step 2, working hard to get to step 3 (a long way to go) :rolleyes:

Going back to your question is hard to say "which is a better car" as it is very subjective. In terms of capabilities the E46 M3 and the 993 are both talented GTs. They both should feel different though so it comes down to what you're looking for exactly. If I had the the choice of a comparable (in vintage and condition) 993 vs E46, I'd go for the 993 for its old world charisma/charm and heightened tactility. Porsche, there is no substitute.
Very true, Porsche is a lot more particle than a Ferrari or a Lambo.

wj....heard the courting was not convincing enugh....

yes, get the 993 back! pssst...so I can test drive!

What to do? It drives like a wussy...Imagine I willingly gave it up to OSF for the rest of the day after a 10 min drive.

Jules;196513 said:
wj....heard the courting was not convincing enugh....

yes, get the 993 back! pssst...so I can test drive!

Zoggee;196575 said:
WJ..get a 6 speed manual E46 M3. More involving. There's one for sale.

heck with it, get a Lotus Exige with the supercharged toyota engine and be done with it. To hell with comfort features...just be sure to be tight with your chiropractor :D

KL2DC;196578 said:
heck with it, get a Lotus Exige with the supercharged toyota engine and be done with it. To hell with comfort features...just be sure to be tight with your chiropractor :D

exactly.. tested the cartrade's exige.. was told only 997 gt3 can compare in terms of driver's involvement AND competitiveness on track.. stock exige would run circles around stock gt3.. true aa?

i always believe, every marque has a different purpose and deisgn philosophy.. moreover when comparing different generation cars.. to me, porsche and/or ferrari, no matter how well they drive, or syiok, must also be FAST! thats why i decided not to get the 993 or 355.. bmw on the other hand is an all-rounder car.. sits 5 and carry luggage for the long journey during raya.. :D

granted, 993 is always gonna be 'better' than any bmws if we look at one aspect of it, but understandably, people wud still get an e46/e90 for a different purpose.. given the choice between 996 tt and e60 m5, i'd get the latter as i'd need it for 'daily use'..

the best, get all!! :D thats what some people do.. heck, they even have honda jazz in the garage.. best town car? hehe

i'd get the 996 turbo..its got gobs of useable power on the account of its 4wd chassis.i'd probably be overwhelmed by the gt3 cuz it's limits are way way higher than mine hence my choice of the more friendly turbo variant..i hate white-knuckle moments when i drive.
i guess it all comes down to driving skills..i don't see myself mastering the full potential of the gt3.i'd probably scare myself shitless with the gt3 but i know i'll have better control over the turbo 4wd.

the latest 997 turbo is at the top of my list of cars that i want.but as we all know,wanting and being able to afford one are two very obvious and upsetting realities in the lives of malaysian car nuts..

adliz;196606 said:
the best, get all!! :D thats what some people do.. heck, they even have honda jazz in the garage.. best town car? hehe

wish i have the buying power of those 'people'..:D but a Honda Jazz i can manage la.great towncar but floaty on the highways.

where BMWs appeals..in the case of most M-cars,the ability to carry 4 and their luggage and be able to keep up with a supercar at the same time.a practical super family car of sorts..

Top Bottom