BMW Vs PORSCHE

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

smz

Club Guest
Which is a better car manufacturer? OK, maybe be more specific........................................ E46 M3 Vs. 993/911. Which is a better car?

911 GT3. It is a real sports car with sports car DNA right from the start. Not everyday car DNA. M3 is like Evo VIII for BMW. It is fast but I can't identify it as a sports car from a distance.

M3 or M5 is not a throughbreed sports car. More like a super sports saloon.

Of course BMW builds them so well that they are compared to the throughbreeds :)

From my observation, the natural progression seems to be:

Honda --> BMW --> Porsche

I'm currently in step 2, working hard to get to step 3 (a long way to go) :rolleyes:

Going back to your question is hard to say "which is a better car" as it is very subjective. In terms of capabilities the E46 M3 and the 993 are both talented GTs. They both should feel different though so it comes down to what you're looking for exactly. If I had the the choice of a comparable (in vintage and condition) 993 vs E46, I'd go for the 993 for its old world charisma/charm and heightened tactility. Porsche, there is no substitute.

i think it'd be best if u test drive both.. ull be surprised, both ways, both cars.. ull see what i mean.. i cant figure out what u need the car for, daily drive? weekend strolls? trackday thrills? friday night pose? if u know what u want, then u wont be asking this q..:)

I'm not planning to get either of the car. I got a E46 330i for sale in another tread. I used to own a 964/911 though. Just wanted to get opinions from any sifus here. Just imagine a budget of RM250K to RM 350K will set a side a 993/911 depending on model year & "S" or 4S etc. I saw a 1995 carerra going for about 280K, mint condition. And, the same amount of money will almost buy a brand new E90 325i, maybe a 2005 Z4, a 2002/3 M3 and so on........................

The porsche (will be about 12 years old) Vs BMW (brand new/almost brand new)........which would you go for? Let's say this will be your 2nd car.

i c.. like i said, if u were really getting either, u would have known which one is 'better'.. there's no two way around it :D

ps: gud luck on your sale..

Prefer the air cool engine............993. If budget permits than the 997, eventhough not air cool but the lights looks better..........

Anyway, a 12 year old car against a brand new car..............just wonder why the porsche drives better..............it is just in the head? or really the porsche built better car 12 years ago than a brand new car from BMW today!

Please comment???

smz;195887 said:
Anyway, a 12 year old car against a brand new car..............just wonder why the porsche drives better..............it is just in the head? or really the porsche built better car 12 years ago than a brand new car from BMW today!

Please comment???

Apples and oranges, there is no basis for comparison other than price. The 993 of its days were built to a different mission than a comparable E36.

Personally, I prefer the 993 over the 996, the car simply has more character from the classic whirring of the air-cooled flat 6 and the quaint floor mounted pedals to the bomb proof interior. They don't make them like they used to, pity...

Even if they were the same price,wouldn't the maintenance cost for a Porsche be much higher than a M3?
I always thought that the Porsche was in a different league altogether.

You're right Bundy. The maintenance will cost more for the Porsche...........

Well if both cars are new than it's not comparable.........the Porsche will cost more than double of the BMW.......but......I'm comparing if you've 300K to spent.....will you buy a 12 years old Porsche or a brand new BMW? I would go for Porsche!

smz;195914 said:
You're right Bundy. The maintenance will cost more for the Porsche...........

Well if both cars are new than it's not comparable.........the Porsche will cost more than double of the BMW.......but......I'm comparing if you've 300K to spent.....will you buy a 12 years old Porsche or a brand new BMW? I would go for Porsche!

care to share why?

Porsche is just different.................once you've driven it than you'll know what I mean. I just cannot explain. And, you can drive a Porsche hard for daily used that's the beauty.

It might be 12 years old but it drives better than cars that are new with all the modern technology.

...for me, 993 RS 3.8...hahaha!...talented GT cars and was listed in many magazine as Top 10 Best Cars in the world...:D

agree with you hjbakhil...................wonder if there is any lucky Malaysian having one...........would be very expensive though.....

I believe there are 2 993 GT2 in Malaysia, not sure about 993 GT3 though (is there a 993 GT3 variant?). I just saw a 996 GT2 on the road earlier this afternoon, also saw another 996 GT2 at KLCC last year.

Porsche vs BMW : the eternal question. Someone once said most BMW drivers are just aspiring Porsche drivers. Maybe we should do a poll on this, see how many people on this forum actually aspire to own a Porsche. I am not much of a purist, I like the FR Porsche, the 928. But must be the late model S4 or GTS 5-speed manual version ;-)

Well I must say that the 993 experience is something pretty unique. I recall complaining like mad to the Porsche mechanics back in 1999 about the dynamics of the 993. It goes like "my old E36 coupe feels more secure, it's quieter etc.....) but it is a machine that grows on you as you learn to appreciate it and drive it. Am still regretting till today for selling it.

The M3 on the other hand is a different animal. It's a bit like a supercar for dummies. Step on the pedal and let the electronics work it out. Don't get me wrong, I love the M3 for what it is and the manner which the engine growls!!... If I'm not careful, there may just be one on my driveway tomorrow :(

Top Bottom