BMW or E200 or Harrier: my ultimate driving journey :)

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

omnigo

Club Guest
Dear everyone.Just taking this opportunity here to chronicle my pursuit of an ultimate driving machine that I can take personal pride and satisfaction in driving.Since late last year, I have been looking around to find, among those three cars, which one would be the UDM for me, as part of the company car's entitlement.After several inquiries and search for information in the web and also checking with friends and many car dealers, I narrowed down my search to either E200 Kompressor or Harrier 240G. If some of you remember, I used to post a question here about the interior space comparison between Harrier and BMW. And most people responded that Harrier beats BMW E60 hands down in terms of interior space.I know that E200 Kompressor is not that spacious anyway.So, it was almost certain that Harrier will be chosen over E200 and over BMW E60. Until two weeks ago, that is.Then it dawned on me and my wife that choosing Harrier will mean that we will not be driving a saloon car anymore, because the other car that I have is an MPV, which also has elevated body like Harrier.So back to square one, with now either E200 or E60.Last week I went to Naza PJ. They have few units of E60 520i 2003, selling for 260k, and few units of E200 Kompressor 2005 selling for 303k.From my research in several discussion forums comparing E200 or E60, including in Yahoo cars, I think the opinions are almost evenly distributed between the two camps. I know either way I choose, it will be OK, and it will be my personal preference that will be the deciding factor. Found out that the E60 dashboard is a lot simpler compared to E200. E200 dashboard is pretty scattered and unwieldy.Then this week I went to Naza Kg Bharu to get a feel again. There is one silver E60 525 year 2004 being offered for 288k, and one 2003, selling at 278k.When I get the engine running, it was obvious that the E60 is waaayy much quieter than E200. The salesman said, this is to be expected because the Kompressor in E200 will make the engine a bit louder. The E60 is so quite and elegant when you are inside the cabin, and the sound of engine running is almost inaudible.The rear cabin, which is also crucial for me with several kids, is also as spacious as the E200. The only factor that I don't like is the protruded end of both sides of the rear seat, making your shoulder a bit pushed forward when seated close to the far end sides of the seat. But I think this is not that major, and can be tolerated.Another thing I like tremendously about E60 is the simple elegance of its look, in the sense that you can dress down the way you like, and drive the E60, without being made to look out of place. In E200, I think the look is more official, and it won't be seen favorably if you drive in E200 with a pagoda t shirt :), unless you don't mind being seen as a "taukey". The look of E200 is more formal and "datuk'ish", so to speak, as opposed to E60.To cut the story short, I am going to take one last look tomorrow to test drive, and then pay the booking fee in the next few days. Will try to squeeze a few more k's down from the quoted 288k.

Wow.. wished I had your kinda dilemmas :p

The fact that you're here on BMC asking shows your heart leaning on one side already.. no?

Aiyoh.. why so chinaman? Get lar the E60.. BMW.. The one and only TRUE Ultimate Driving Machine.. Do let us know the outcome.. Cheers :)

omnigo... just some comments regarding your dilemma...

The inline six in the E60 will certainly be smoother running compared to the four-pot in the E200K. It also revs smoother at high revs....

The design of the rear seats in the E60 is such that both side bolsters are there to protect you in the event of a side impact crash. Working in conjunction with the side curtain airbags, they'll ensure that occupants are pushed away from the side doors in a crash.

Wish you good luck with your purchase...

E60 520i vs E200k

The main considerations:

-6 cylinder vs 4 cylinder

-naturally aspirated vs supercharged (higher maintenance, noise)

Interior space-wise its a toss up. Exterior styling is subjective. Reliability depends on past history (since you're buying used). I think the BMW's interior feels nicer in quality than the W211. BMW's steering should feel better than the MB.

Both car are wonderful but since you already have a MPV, why not go for something more sporty? 520i E60 is a little weak for performance drive but for luxury cruise then it is perfect.

Do consider the resell value after 5 years too if you are considering a 5 years loan.

Wish you will make the right choice.... .. Cheers

thanks for all the inputs. Actually, I don't think I will be sprinting in that E60. At my age of 46, I initially thought that E60 is too youthful for me :). Now that I has firmed up on the choice, what the heck, it's me whose gonna drive the car, youthful or old. :). And I didn't even know that the rear seat bolster design was done to protect rear passengers in the event of a crash.

And at this juncture, I think resale value might be working on my favor, because its a company car. Should I want to leave the co and pay the residual value of the car later in a few years time, the fast depreciation will certainly work better for me.

regards,
omnigo

i was thinking abt BMW or E200 or Harrier as well :) heheeheh
was thinking 3series and C class and Harrier. Went and tried all of them. Found 3 series and c class are way too small for my family and Harrier was fine ....
From the above mention, E200 only 4 cylinder. i think i had enough 4 cylinder in my life. So i think i shd upgrade to E60 :) and I personal like the look over Harrier.
I guess i will go with the 5 series new facelift since it's comng soon. :)

omnigo,

Hi,

Below are my observations.

SEATING

The back seats of the W211 are not big enough for its class. I feel that whenever I’m back in Singapore taking those diesel powered E220 taxi.

In the Changi airport taxi stand, sometime I see that Europeans in a group opting not to take the E220. They would choose the old-fashion Toyota Crown or Nissan Cedric instead.

I suspected that it had nothing to do with the 20 cents or so premium so I asked one Toyota Crown Taxi driver. He boosted that the E220 is nice on the outside but its back is not big enough to comfortably accommodate 3 long-leg guys. He quoted a few occasions when the big Caucasians preferred his Crown to the E220.

POWER

I have a banker friend who has just upgraded from a CRV to an E200 bought brand new in 2005. The first remark he gave was “too slow”. He no longer has the kind of confident turning from a junction like he had with the CRV.

I don’t quite understand him as the paper stated that it has163hp, which is very respectable. I have a friend who drives an Audi A4 1.8T just can’t stop being impressed with its power when the A4 has almost the same.

Curious about the power issue, I asked another friend who drives a C200 Compressor, which I believe to be sharing the same 1.8-litre engine, about his feeling. He wasn’t excited about discussing his “Power” experience of his car and dismissed it with “driving a Merc is not about how fast it can go”.

He is thinking of changing his car. When asked on what car he would change to, he gave me Air Trek, WRX and even Jeep Grand Cherokee. Could this be a sign of power-deprived-syndrome?

As for other associates who drive an E class, some just need to have one and never dare to venture further. While some bought an E200 because it is the most affordable E they would pay for as they have done so since W124 era. For these people, they have one thing in common: they never talk about power.

COMPRESSOR

The same C200 guy mentioned earlier has his compressor partially failed. It gives irritating noise but bearable enough to continue driving. He was quoted RM8, 500 Cycle and Carriage for the replacement. I checked with my mechanic and was quoted on the spot without much thinking to be RM7, 500.

When asked on how experienced they are on this kind of job, the mechanic said that this is a common problem and they have done it many times. So I draw a conclusion that the compressor is very likely to fail in less than 5 years of use.

Assume that it can last 5 years; it works out to be RM1, 700 per year. The road tax for a 3.0 litre car like the 530i is slightly under RM2, 145. The road tax for the 1.8 litre should be around RM325 and it sum up to be slightly under RM2, 025.

Can this compare to an E60 530i?

MY CHOICE

After driving the company’s E34 520i for years, I think I’m starting to develop the power-deprived-syndrome like my friend did. If one day the company had decided to upgrade it to a Merc E Class, it has to be E240 or I would beg for a BMW or Audi.

Volvo S60 T5?

peckchoonheng;196500 said:
E220.

MY CHOICE

After driving the company’s E34 520i for years, I think I’m starting to develop the power-deprived-syndrome like my friend did. If one day the company had decided to upgrade it to a Merc E Class, it has to be E240 or I would beg for a BMW or Audi.

Peck,
Well, you thinking about abandoning the Sheer Driving Pleasure already? :eek:

If you want "power & torque within that price range", have you try the
Volvo S60 T5?

izuaff;196555 said:
520 engine is weak for such a heavy body. Go go for 525 at least

yeah what abt the brand new 523i ? also not powerful enough?

wondering when will the new facelift will arrive~

The Harrier is comfortable but the dynamics is not as good as the BMW. It is a guzzler too. The Harrier is no longer on my list but personally I would seriously consider the Lexus RX400h, if you can find one in Mutiara Damansara Lexus Showroom. The E200K is comfortable, but noisy. From the inside it is pretty quiet. I am not sure whether it comes with the 7 speed version. About the E60, I think it can keep you happy for a long time.

Top Bottom