BMW interior designer take note: E90 interior ergonomics/safety improvement needed

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

viewfinder

Club Guest
After ~2 weeks of driving around, here's a list of improvement for BMW designers to take note when you work on the next 3-series generation.
  • Front head rest is bigger than all previous 3 & 5 models that I've driven. It's TOTALLY blocking my view when I turned my head to look at the back during reversing. Safety issue to me.
  • The reflective aluminum panel surrounding the gear knob is causing too much glare. Some more it's angled and despite me wearing sunglasses the glare is constantly on my eyes. I would consider this as safety issue actually. People put dark or black color for a reason. For example all wiper arms are 100% matte black. One of ex-4x4's wiper arm powder-coated black color totally faded and it was hell driving during sunny days.
  • (Feb14 update suspect assembly defect; refer to page 8) Air-conditioning piping to rear seat is not insulated properly. The aluminum panel surrounding the gear knob is chilled and when the driver's leg touches that aluminum panel you know how it feels like to touch a chilled metal surface. 5 series does not have this issue. This is overlook in the E90.Besides it's contributing to global warming due to wasteful heat transfer. It goes against BMW's efficient dynamics philosophy.
  • The key hole for right-hand drive model being on the left hand side of steering wheel is the top ergonomics issue for me every time I get in/out of car. I've never driven a car with key hole of the left side. It's difficult to key in and take out with left hand for a right handed person. And if the key is still in the key hole and I'm outside the car, I HAVE to get in and sit down before I can reach the key. Total nuisance for both right/left-handed person.
  • Wiper movement seems to be coupled over the brake pedal. I felt it because the brake pedal was depressed at traffic light stop. I don't recall such mechanical coupling being felt in other BMW models.
  • Cruise control stick sometimes get mistaken as the turn indicator stick. Perhaps a bit too close. I am curious as to why it's shifted from below wiper control stick to now below the turn indicator stick.
- To be continued after more driving experience. I hope the list stops at #6. -

I hate the right dash compartment below the steering. I keep my dollar notes there for parking and every time I open the compartment door, I always forget to close it and upon exiting the car, my knee will knock the compartment door and many times it caused bleeding or bruises on my knee!! :eek: Sharp edge! *&^%$#@!!

Glove compartment only big enough for a pair of glove or a .38 revolver, cannot fit tissue box.. :( I guess that's why they call it glove compartment.

astroboy;491774 said:
I hate the right dash compartment below the steering. I keep my dollar notes there for parking and every time I open the compartment door, I always forget to close it and upon exiting the car, my knee will knock the compartment door and many times it caused bleeding or bruises on my knee!! :eek: Sharp edge! *&^%$#@!!

Glove compartment only big enough for a pair of glove or a .38 revolver, cannot fit tissue box.. :( I guess that's why they call it glove compartment.

I know! Just over a week ago, it cause one big bad bruise with lots of blood on my knee. I don't blame the design for me banging into it.. itu drebar error. But the edge could have been designed better to minimize injury.

astroboy;491774 said:

yes, the bloody E46 also have this. Injured myself also because forget to close it when getting out of the car.:stupid:

jarance;491799 said:
yes, the bloody E46 also have this. Injured myself also because forget to close it when getting out of the car.:stupid:

:listen: change car ..:top::top::top:

the aluminium door trim is too low, everytime u let the seat belt slide out it will knock the aluminium trim...i have hundreds of dents on that area...its an eye sore.

the power window switch if far

astroboy;491774 said:

Oh yes! I kena a few times already. Now I put my Smart Tag here (ngam-ngam fit). So, after using it, must close it immedaitely. So far, has worked fine. :top:

MSport;491839 said:
Oh yes! I kena a few times already. Now I put my Smart Tag here (ngam-ngam fit). So, after using it, must close it immedaitely. So far, has worked fine. :top:

There is a proper smart tag compartment. ..at ur drivers' door. Thanks DY for showing me...

for the right side compartment..yup how i wish it was automated. once u open, it can slowly close back.. Msport..didnt know the "ST" can fit there...

1. Front head rest is bigger than all previous 3 & 5 models that I've driven. It's TOTALLY blocking my view when I turned my head to look at the back during reversing. Safety issue to me. The reason the headrest is bigger is to meet the ever stringent EU crash safety regulation. Besides, the PDC sensors are there for a reason.
  2. The reflective aluminum panel surrounding the gear knob is causing too much glare. Some more it's angled and despite me wearing sunglasses the glare is constantly on my eyes. I would consider this as safety issue actually. The reflective aluminum is specified by the dealer who orders these cars. Try driving the 323i in SE spec with the wood trimming, no such issues there. Here's the perfect excuse to change your trims to burlwood or carbonfibre :top:

People put dark or black color for a reason. For example all wiper arms are 100% matte black. One of ex-4x4's wiper arm powder-coated black color totally faded and it was hell driving during sunny days.
  3. Air-conditioning piping to rear seat is not insulated properly. The aluminum panel surrounding the gear knob is chilled and when the driver's leg touches that aluminum panel you know how it feels like to touch a chilled metal surface. 5 series does not have this issue. This is overlook in the E90. Again this has to do with the aluminum trim.

Besides it's contributing to global warming due to wasteful heat transfer. It goes against BMW's efficient dynamics philosophy.
  4. The key hole for right-hand drive model being on the left hand side of steering wheel is the top ergonomics issue for me every time I get in/out of car. I've never driven a car with key hole of the left side. The e90 was designed from the get-go to have comfort excess feature. With this feature, there is no keyhole issue. Again it is the way the dealer specified the car.

It's difficult to key in and take out with left hand for a right handed person. And if the key is still in the key hole and I'm outside the car, I HAVE to get in and sit down before I can reach the key. Total nuisance for both right/left-handed person.
  5. Wiper movement seems to be coupled over the brake pedal. I felt it because the brake pedal was depressed at traffic light stop. I don't recall such mechanical coupling being felt in other BMW models. This is becos of the extensive use of aluminum in the front of the e90. They are not coupled. It's just that aluminum transfers mechanical vibrations very effectively. Have you seen how large the engine mountings are on a e90?

- To be continued after more driving experience. I hope the list stops at #5. -[/quote]

glock_8;491807 said:
the aluminium door trim is too low, everytime u let the seat belt slide out it will knock the aluminium trim...i have hundreds of dents on that area...its an eye sore.

the power window switch if far

1. The door trim. There's a stopper on the beat to slide to required height so the buckle won't drop too low and hit the trim. Don't set too high also coz the buckle may hit and break your window.. :eek:

2. Power window buttons too far. This is rectified in the LCI.. :top:

viewfinder;491761 said:
[*]The key hole for right-hand drive model being on the left hand side of steering wheel is the top ergonomics issue for me every time I get in/out of car. I've never driven a car with key hole of the left side.

It's difficult to key in and take out with left hand for a right handed person. And if the key is still in the key hole and I'm outside the car, I HAVE to get in and sit down before I can reach the key. Total nuisance for both right/left-handed person.

Bro,

Most cars with key fobs like the BMW, will have the key hole on the inside of the car. I have driven an Audi has the same config. American cars have them on the inside also. Some now even have it on the center console.

This I believe is for safety and security reasons.

I used to remember those days when the ignition key was in the center of the dashboard.

It is only when they started the using the ignition being integrated to the steering lock, they moved it to the RH side of the steering column.

saat;491870 said:
Bro,

Most cars with key fobs like the BMW, will have the key hole on the inside of the car. I have driven an Audi has the same config. American cars have them on the inside also. Some now even have it on the center console.

This I believe is for safety and security reasons.

I used to remember those days when the ignition key was in the center of the dashboard.

It is only when they started the using the ignition being integrated to the steering lock, they moved it to the RH side of the steering column.

yeah.. I remember my mini have the key in the centre console..

A bigger glove box which can keep the car manual packet easily will be nice. And also a more discreet cupholder in the front.

The 10 reasons to design the key fob socket in the central dash is because..

1. So if your forget to close your window or had to open your door in a heavy rain and windy day, rain water won't splash into the key fob socket.

2. So if your accelerator is stuck like the Toyota case, the passenger can help u unplug the key fob.. :p *choy~!

3. So when u wind down your window and blast your stereo in a congested traffic or traffic stops, naughty people from outside cannot itchy hand to reach for your key fob.. :D :D

4. Looks nice, neat from outside.

5. Nearer to the fuse box behind the glove compartment, so shorter wires, less weight for the car, shorter wire, less fire hazard risk.. :p *choy~!

6. Weight distribution better.. because CG concentrate at the middle of the car.. :p

7. Help training your right brain when u are require to practice your left hand.. :D

8. Align with the "Start" button, neat.

9. To trick the car thieves so they can't find your key fob slot.. :rolleyes:

10. Safe from the harmful sun light UV from the side window.. windshield that one cannot avoid la.. :D

Do I make any sense? Maybe not all.. :p :D

racheltoh;491872 said:
also..steering wheel..the thin 'plastic' began to peel off ;(

u can change that cover fr the dealer. steering wheel is prone to such peeling due to the hot/cold weather + our acidic sweats from palms....sometimes saliva maybe....kekeke

AB, nice top ten list :)

Nevertheless, I still want, not prefer, the key hole to be on the right hand side for right-hand drive model.

And to give another reason I want it near the outside is because now I can't start the engine & blast the air conditioner (applicable ~12 months of a year in the tropics, vs only ~3 months in cold weather countries) unless I get inside the car first. I didn't have to do that for all previous/current BMW's and cars that I have driven.

saat, since US is left hand drive model it's understandable why the key hole is on inside of the car (i..e right hand side of steering wheel) because that's where driver's right hand is.

kevster30, thanks for the insight. Use of aluminum is no reason/excuse for BMW having & not solving those issues. Besides I don't think the air con piping non-insulation is due to aluminum panel. Even the black PVC (I think?) surface is cold.

Top Bottom