BMW Innovation Days 28th-29th AUGUST 2010

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
mat6689;547959 said:
what a cool statemen.... if not started how to stop ?

Think what he meant was, "It is not a problem is a car cannot start, but it is a problem if a car cannot stop!"

When I had my chance with the 135i after the driver switch at R&R. I was like a boy opening Christmas presents on Boxing Day. If that's not JOY, then what is?!... never had enough distance between the 135i and lead car to test the 135i DCT in full throttle gearshift action.. what a pity.

If I must describe our journey on Saturday, the first session was a slow 135i kena tail gated by a much faster 335i, that too was spotted by the lead car, very sharp! The 335i was asked to ease off. After driver switch, the 135i was cucuking the lead car and almost overtaking the lead car when trying to do a sprint at the toll gate.. :p only if the 2nd driver of the 135i were behind the wheel in the 1st session, then the 135i will truly show its true potential against the 335i.. :p My money is on the 135i.. :p :D :D

sunnypuan;547955 said:
My friend did a launch control on a Volkswagen Golf GTI MK6 before....Here's the step or procedure:

1. Switch off ESP.....:top:
2. Gear on sports mode.....:top:
3. Depress brake and fully depress the accelerator pedal....:top: (engine rpm will not go beyond 4000rpm)
4. Released brake....:top:
5. Hang on to the steering for the ride of your living daylights...:eek:

I do not think BMW's with a normal tranny will have such program. Hence if we were to perform "LC" on it, the tiny layer of clutch will be burned.

Bmws with smg and DCT transmissions can also do launch control;)

As for auto tranny, every time you tekan from standstill it's also like launch control.

bimmerholic;548000 said:
Yupp..glad to admit car #10 was driven with plenty of passion & fun to back it up all by me & my co-driver. Like ckhaw & instrustor Hammond reminded me of "wonder why car #10 was perfect doing that braking test in all the runs and with big grins on our face". :D

Affan66, now i know who you are :)...you were with another indian co-driver right.

yes, a nice chap who is working in Singapore and looking for a bimmer. asked him if he's interested in the other makes like Audi, VW or Merc. Nope.. yilek... BMW it is :D

I wasn't so eager to push on the driving tests because I was wearing slippers (foot still injured) and was a bit woozy. Didn't expect the tests. I was only interested in testing the F10 and checking out the pre-owned. Unfortunately, those fellas said I can't put my car registration number on the pre-owned.. Brand new is too much for me lah :(

Old plate to old car kenot. New plate to old car can. Correct me if I'm wrong..

The Innovation Program will move to Malacca next weekend at the Batu Berendam airport ;)

ALBundy;548091 said:
The Innovation Program will move to Malacca next weekend at the Batu Berendam airport ;)

Yes, I'm waiting for it. Any X6 for the test drive?

ALBundy;548059 said:
Bmws with smg and DCT transmissions can also do launch control;)

As for auto tranny, every time you tekan from standstill it's also like launch control.

ALBundy,

So there's no point doing the launch control on a auto tranny?? Some participant claimed that they can achieve better performance, burned very-very minimum clutch on the tranny when doing the "LC" on the 320d....
I was at my mech place Bestness Motorsport the other day, saw him overhaul a E46 328i ZF 5 speed gearbox. replace all clutchs, torque converter (ZF Recond), gear oil and workmanship.... Total BILL = 9K ! !
So, I'm a bit sad seeing people trashing gearbox....Especially BMW's ! ! :listen:

But the most important issue is the participant's had all the fun....BMW Malaysia sure can afford to change the tranny wan...

Sunny u don't worry, those tranny can last the entire duration before selling to a buyer under Premium Selection, or Pre-own. Those GB can last easily 160k km, after the trashing, it should still last at least 60k km, by which it has already been sold to a buyer, and used for more than 2 years... all warranty over liao.. :p :D

Actually the "LC" describe by u is just wheel spin and not really "LC" per say. The actual "LC" when activated, you may see higher RPM in take off, but there should not be any wheel spin. Wheel spin is a delay and not good in time attack.. perhaps activating the DSC would help.. :p

sunnypuan;548107 said:
ALBundy,

So there's no point doing the launch control on a auto tranny?? Some participant claimed that they can achieve better performance, burned very-very minimum clutch on the tranny when doing the "LC" on the 320d....
I was at my mech place Bestness Motorsport the other day, saw him overhaul a E46 328i ZF 5 speed gearbox. replace all clutchs, torque converter (ZF Recond), gear oil and workmanship.... Total BILL = 9K ! !
So, I'm a bit sad seeing people trashing gearbox....Especially BMW's ! ! :listen:

But the most important issue is the participant's had all the fun....BMW Malaysia sure can afford to change the tranny wan...

I think one has to understand what launch control actually means.

With auto transmissions, the most one can do is to left foot brake and rev the engine while being stationary. Will it help to improve 0-100 times significantly?! I doubt so, in fact you could be slower, as the wheels would be spinning fighting for traction in that initial moment you lift up your left leg. So launch control is only possible with manual transmission, basically you are keeping the engine at high rpm without the wheels spinning. With smg and dct equipped cars, all this is done by the ecu.

As for transmission life, so far the e90 transmission is proving to be a hardy unit. I have not seen any of the cars that are being used for driver training having any issues and as well as in the workshops. E36 and e46 I have seen plenty, with the latter usually having the oil pump problem which then screwed up the whole tranny.

Had great fun! Good to meet Docrayboy. Good teaser on Advanced Driver's Training with the 320d. Had a go at the Z4 and X5. Am itching to test the 135 but no chance yesterday.

All in all, I had lots of fun! BMW has done it again. Well done! :top:

BMW Malaysia has outdone itself again...This Innovation day thingy is an Innovation by itself...kudos to the people who made it happen for us to learn how to en'JOY'......:top:

Albundy,

Thanks for the heads-up ! Now I don't feel so sore on my humble tranny after tailgated the M3 during our breakfast run....Sure hope to learn more tips and looking forward for the drivers training soon.
By the way, when are you going to buy David and me the great thosai you talked about last Saturday??? No meaning eating alone wan....Right David??? LOL....

This weekend if I am free, we do a thosai and chapati breakfast buffet!! XXX also need more chapati, helps to remove body cramp and reverse park better kekekeke

ALBundy;548133 said:
This weekend if I am free, we do a thosai and chapati breakfast buffet!! XXX also need more chapati, helps to remove body cramp and reverse park better kekekeke

Albundy,
XXX will need more than just chapati when you around, Brother ! ! :top: Thosai GHEE sounds good for you??:eek: wakakaka

Yes, had good fun with the 135i and the 320d during the Innovation day :top:
Tested the 135i's acceleration from full stop and it was ferocious! The wheels spinned a bit and the DTC light came on until about 80 km/h. I never experienced this on the 320d.

The highway drive was fun with the cars being taken around corners at high speeds. The 135i was able to hold its line very well. There was a Golf GTi MkV who got excited seeing our group of cars on the highway and tried to zigzag around us to the front :rolleyes:

I was quite surprised at what the 320d can do at the track! The exercises looked impossible to do and many of us just played very safe first time round. For the subsequent rounds, we just put faith in the car's ability and I think all of us in our group passed! The car is so stable that it will stop in straight line during emergency brake without us holding the steering!

Overall a good introduction to the real ability of a BMW. It shows the real dynamic performance of the car and the safety aspects that comes with it to many drivers.

Ah that was you....yeah the Golf was trying to be naughty but more importantly everyone had a good time and able to experience all the latest BMW Innovations :)

astroboy;548110 said:
Wheel spin is a delay and not good in time attack.. perhaps activating the DSC would help.. :p

If DSC is on, once the wheels spin engine power will be reduced, so back to square one.

Bottom line...want to do launch control, get a car with DCT!!:top:

Top Bottom