Best Tires for E39

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Bishop

Club Guest
Currently running on Continental 225/55/16. Seems to be drifting a little at high speed corners. Thinking of changing them...In all the sifu's experience, What is the best tires for comfort and silence? Not so much of a speed demon.... :blush: :blush: Also what kind of damage it is going to cost me? :getyourfactsright: :cry: :cry:

Originally posted by Bishop@Aug 12 2005, 11:32 PM
Currently running on Continental 225/55/16. Seems to be drifting a little at high speed corners. Thinking of changing them...

In all the sifu's experience, What is the best tires for comfort and silence?
Not so much of a speed demon.... :blush: :blush:

Also what kind of damage it is going to cost me? :getyourfactsright: :cry: :cry:
Go for Michelins if you want comfort. I'm currently on C-Drive not bad also. :D

Originally posted by pussy@Aug 13 2005, 03:52 PM
pirellis dragons..
Hmmm... seems to be a fav in the forum....

is it quiet?
How's the wear?

What is the going price for a 225/55/16?

its quite. Ever had a ride over our concrete roads to the north? You can hardly notice them. I just bought mine 2 months ago so i cannot tell you yet how fast they wear out. The tire man told me that it will wear out fast until it reaches the one stage where it will last longer. Salesman talk i dunno whether its true or otherwise. I'll find out sooner or later :rolleyes:

Originally posted by bangibimmer@Aug 15 2005, 04:55 PM
its quite. Ever had a ride over our concrete roads to the north? You can hardly notice them. I just bought mine 2 months ago so i cannot tell you yet how fast they wear out. The tire man told me that it will wear out fast until it reaches the one stage where it will last longer. Salesman talk i dunno whether its true or otherwise. I'll find out sooner or later :rolleyes:
Ermmm.... You talking about the Pirelli or the Michelin energy mxv8?? :unsure:

Originally posted by Stranger@Aug 15 2005, 07:28 PM
Michelin energy mxv8 and Dragon are 2 different classes of tyres.
Sorry I'm new to the car and tires.... :dunno: :blush:

but how are they different class? What classes are they? What classes are there?

any additional info would be great.... My tires are worn and need to change them soon... :cry:

One can generally split them into:
budget: Performance doesn't matter; must last a long time; cheap; I would never buy anything in this cat.
comfort: This is where mxv8 belongs. biased towards comfort; acceptable performance; if your conti is Premium contact, then it belongs here; others like bridgestone GR80; yoko's aspec. Some of these here tend to numb the steering feel.
performance: noise and comfort take a back seat. Dragon according to Pirelli beongs here or its pzero series; conti's cscI and cscII; michelin's pilot sport; yoko's AVS or even ES100; etc etc. This can be further split into ultra performance, high performance or just performance.

Originally posted by Stranger@Aug 16 2005, 11:55 PM
One can generally split them into:
budget: Performance doesn't matter; must last a long time;
cheap; I would never buy anything in this cat.
comfort: This is where mxv8 belongs. biased towards
comfort; acceptable performance; if your conti is Premium contact, then it belongs here; others like bridgestone GR80; yoko's aspec. Some of these here tend to numb the steering feel.
performance: noise and comfort take a back seat. Dragon according to Pirelli beongs here or its pzero series; conti's cscI and cscII; michelin's pilot sport; yoko's AVS or even ES100; etc etc. This can be further split into ultra performance, high performance or just performance.
Thanks Stranger :blink: (always wanted to say that) :blink:

Great and simple break down.

Yes I'm on the Conti Premium Contact. Feels ok to me, but then it is the only set of tires I have ever driven on....:dunno:

In your opinion, what would be the best balance between comfort and performance. at a reasonable budget of course..... :blush:

I personally tend to ask for comfort, and better than acceptable performance (contradicting requirements :D but I can sacrifice comfort a bit more for performance sake).

I am currently on Pirelli P7 which is acceptable in terms of comfort/noise/performance to me. I don't corner and speed like Schumacher. ;P I also don't want to get a set that kills off the handling/steering feel of a Bimmer. Noise/comfort is very subjective, and difficult to quantify.

If you find Premium is ok to you, then Mich's Preceda (supposedly a quiet performance type) or mxv8 may be ok to you; or Dunlop's SP9000 (supposedly quiet performance tyre also).

All these are imported; so I am not sure about their $ in Malaysia.

You can learn a bit more at this www.tirerack.com; it's an US site but with some relevant info. You can get quite a bit of user inputs on a particular tyre also.

Thanks,

I'll ask around for some pricing and compare... :wink: :getyourfactsright:

Will probably get the more reasonably priced ones....:eek:k:

If anyone have recently purchased any of the above mentioned tires, please list the price and place of purchase, so that we can get the best value for our money....

Originally posted by Bishop@Aug 17 2005, 01:00 AM
Thanks,

I'll ask around for some pricing and compare... :wink: :getyourfactsright:

Will probably get the more reasonably priced ones....:eek:k:

If anyone have recently purchased any of the above mentioned tires, please list the price and place of purchase, so that we can get the best value for our money....
hi,
this is in fact my very first posting tho' i've been an active reader of the forum for the last one year.
I've burnt a set of Conti EcoContact which was RM640 each. The performance was good but they did not last very long. I think I changed the rear pair only after 20,000kms.
Now all 4 are on Michelin Preceda 225/55/16 which i paid RM630 each after comparing quite a number of places. Tayaria in PJ where my office is quoted RM 800+ each for the same spec.
IMHO Michelin Preceda (made in Japan) performs better in terms of performance and handling than Conti. Even after 20,000kms, they look quite decent and perform admirably with probably 50% usage on the thread.

Hi Bishop,
I just change my tyre, from visit at two places this are what i found;-

Jln Meru,Klang (can't Remember the name)
Conti Premium Contact (malaysia) Rm400/-
Michelin MXV 8 (Thailand) RM 430/-

Ah Wa (Jln Klang Lama)
Pirelli P6 (Italy/Germany) RM570/-

i use and love those Goodyear Eagle F1. :D

Quiet ride! :lazy:
Traction and handling, excellent. :yahoo:
Exceptional traction on wet--hujan and puddle doesnt hydroplan that easy.
Also has rim flange protector, which guard your rim from accidental langgar with curb.
ZR rated tires.

it also comes with road hazard protection, if pecah, boleh replace lar...

rm520 a piece in kelang. :getyourfactsright:

Top Bottom