Auto Start Stop (ASS) good or bad ?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

splee

Club Guest
Guys, do you like the Auto Start Stop function? Most people that I spoke to hate it and would want to disable it for good. For myself, I hate it initially as I find it annoying and unpredictable. After using it for sometime now, I have learnt how to control my throttle and predict the traffic ahead to make the most out of the ASS function. I am now able to control to a certain degree when I want the ASS to kick in and when I don't want it to kick in without actually pressing the disable button. I find that the ASS is a brilliant idea to save fuel just like the Eco pro mode.What do you think of the ASS? Do you think all future cars should be fitted with ASS? Imagine the amount of fuel that we could save if all cars turn off its engine while waiting at the traffic lights?

Just an observation. After ASS activated, the engine will start up automatically again after some time, even when you are still pressing the brake. True?

Nightswan;795042 said:
Just an observation. After ASS activated, the engine will start up automatically again after some time, even when you are still pressing the brake. True?

Yes, the engine will restart when one of the many criterial are not met. Example, cabin temperature too warm, engine not in operating temperature range, etc. Once engine restarts, the ASS will temporary be disabled and enabled again when car moves.

If the car re-starts with less shudder it would be great. I hate it due to the shudder restart. Not sure if other brands have refined it - never sat in a non-BMW which has the ASS equivalent.

arulkl;795075 said:
If the car re-starts with less shudder it would be great. I hate it due to the shudder restart. Not sure if other brands have refined it - never sat in a non-BMW which has the ASS equivalent.

Toyota Prius is much more gentle.

splee;795077 said:
Toyota Prius is much more gentle.

yes. the Toyota hybrids are really really smooth.

honda second best.

BMW ASS feels like you got rear-ended.

arulkl;795075 said:

f30 ASS is like an earthquake when restarting hahaha....honda seamless...

tweftfom;795085 said:
f30 ASS is like an earthquake when restarting hahaha....honda seamless...

I read in the internet, the earthquake is due to a beefier starter as it needs to work harder now. The Toyota and Honda hybrid starter is electric type, different.

How do you control to a certain degree when ASS kicks in? Im curious. I am fine with it kicking in at traffic lights, but I find it annoying when it kicks in when say taking parking ticket from machine at carpark. I wish I could control how many seconds of idle before it kicks in via idrive....

splee;795032 said:
Guys, do you like the Auto Start Stop function? Most people that I spoke to hate it and would want to disable it for good. For myself, I hate it initially as I find it annoying and unpredictable. After using it for sometime now, I have learnt how to control my throttle and predict the traffic ahead to make the most out of the ASS function. I am now able to control to a certain degree when I want the ASS to kick in and when I don't want it to kick in without actually pressing the disable button. I find that the ASS is a brilliant idea to save fuel just like the Eco pro mode.

What do you think of the ASS? Do you think all future cars should be fitted with ASS? Imagine the amount of fuel that we could save if all cars turn off its engine while waiting at the traffic lights?

SinghisKing;795127 said:
How do you control to a certain degree when ASS kicks in? Im curious. I am fine with it kicking in at traffic lights, but I find it annoying when it kicks in when say taking parking ticket from machine at carpark. I wish I could control how many seconds of idle before it kicks in via idrive....

It takes some practice to get it right. It's all about timing. The trick is not to let your car come to a complete stop. So, when taking parking ticket, you have to act fast, press the button and take the ticket before your car come to a complete stop. I know this is tricky, that's why I said only to a certain extend. For collecting parking ticket safely, I suggest you press the override button for safety reason or you could practice active ASS override by stepping hard on your brake within one second after your car come to a complete stop. For traffic light stops at your regular route, you can control whether to activate ASS by controlling your car speed when approaching the lights. If you know that the light is turning green soon, you can decide not to activate the ASS by slowing down but not to stop completely. It's all about timing. And I find this whole process of pre judging the traffic ahead and control of the ASS actually makes me save more fuel as I would drive more smoothly.

According to the BMW SA, BMW spends millions in research so that it can contribute in the collective effort that all BMWs sold would further safe millions in fuel if not more when it comes to the environment. I am just not sure if this is substantiated by any research paper to support the notion. Any clue?

Pro save petrol. Cons too jerky on restarts, and if need move in hurry not ready n the steering being electric is locked

patgwh;795156 said:
According to the BMW SA, BMW spends millions in research so that it can contribute in the collective effort that all BMWs sold would further safe millions in fuel if not more when it comes to the environment. I am just not sure if this is substantiated by any research paper to support the notion. Any clue?
am there are some PhD work on engine idling speed petrol / diesel consumption. The fact that engine is not running means no fuel burnt, just need some emprical data to be collected

KengKok;795157 said:
Pro save petrol. Cons too jerky on restarts, and if need move in hurry not ready n the steering being electric is locked

The ASS is for normal and Eco pro driving to save fuel. If you are in a hurry, you should change to sports mode and ASS is automatically disabled.

It would be very interesting to also know if there is some kind of "price" associated with being green in this way, e.g. wear on the starter and engine due to increased use from the ASS system, probably even more so when the engine is cold in the mornings.

KengKok;795165 said:
am there are some PhD work on engine idling speed petrol / diesel consumption. The fact that engine is not running means no fuel burnt, just need some emprical data to be collected

patgwh;795170 said:
It would be very interesting to also know if there is some kind of "price" associated with being green in this way, e.g. wear on the starter and engine due to increased use from the ASS system, probably even more so when the engine is cold in the mornings.

I found this in a foreign forum. Quote:

Wear on the starter is the main concern here - according BMW TIS bulletin on the Automatic Start-Stop system, the starters are rated for 8 times more starting cycles than on non-ASS cars.

As far as the engine wear is concerned - the very first start after extended shutdown will generate the most wear, as the oil has run down into the sump. Once the oil pressure has been restored and all wear surfaces re-lubricated, the restart will not generate any more wear than the regular running of the engine.

View attachment 27550

It would be interesting to see if BMW Malaysia has already sanctioned our local dealers to activate the Last User Mode, for users who prefers this ASS feature to be switched off and stays that way until further intervention by the user, if any, at some later time. So it is a matter of whether to go green or go with less wear.

splee;795171 said:
I found this in a foreign forum. Quote:

Wear on the starter is the main concern here - according BMW TIS bulletin on the Automatic Start-Stop system, the starters are rated for 8 times more starting cycles than on non-ASS cars.

As far as the engine wear is concerned - the very first start after extended shutdown will generate the most wear, as the oil has run down into the sump. Once the oil pressure has been restored and all wear surfaces re-lubricated, the restart will not generate any more wear than the regular running of the engine.

View attachment 27550

Top Bottom