ASS coding

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

achtung

Club Guest
As the title , pun intended, read in f30 post that now some dealers are coding the auto start stop to remember theLast setting. So if u switch it off , it stays off till u turn it on again. Unlike now which defaults to always on. Can't wait !!!

Service Bulletin listed below

SI B12 15 12

INFORMATION

The Automatic Start/Stop (MSA) system is a further BMW Efficient Dynamics measure aimed at meeting BMW’s commitment to reducing CO2 emissions and enhancing fuel economy.

BMW, always a leader in innovative technology, will be the first automobile manufacturer to bring MSA technology to all new models.

Automatic Start/Stop systems will become prevalent in the future, as manufacturers strive to meet increasingly stringent emissions and fuel economy requirements.

By automatically switching the engine off when the car is stationary, MSA can improve fuel economy and reduce emissions.

New F-vehicles now incorporate the second generation of MSA (MSA II), which has been further developed to operate in combination with an automatic transmission and the BN2020 electrical system.

A detailed description of the MSA Automatic Start/Stop function can be found in the ICP Technician library under Technical Training course ST1112.

SITUATION

Some drivers have expressed the desire to deactivate this function in certain situations. This can be done manually via the Automatic Start/Stop function button with the LED switched on, indicating that the start/stop function is deactivated.

However, by default, the Automatic Start/Stop function is reactivated each time the engine is started.

At the request of an owner, it is possible to modify this default logic to “Last user mode.”

With this logic, the current MSA’s activated or deactivated setting is stored and used on the next trip.

Note: All new BMW M models have the last user mode as the default setting from production.

A member here has already written to BMW Malaysia and is awaiting their response. He provided them with the above bulletin together with the links to all the other overseas forums detailing their free recoding efforts.
Hopefully, BMW Malaysia will do something about it...but I'm not holding my breath.

Apparently it's not too difficult to do the coding yourself. There are some posts with detailed instructions. You mainly need the correct cable, which can be ordered online and delivered to you.

But who wants to try out on their own car? But if it works, can provide this service to other BMW owners for a small fee!

WHW

whw;771534 said:
Apparently it's not too difficult to do the coding yourself. There are some posts with detailed instructions. You mainly need the correct cable, which can be ordered online and delivered to you.

But who wants to try out on their own car? But if it works, can provide this service to other BMW owners for a small fee!

WHW

I am sure quite a few people here is savvy enough (me not included though, as tech and I just do not seem to click) to be able to do the coding themselves but many are avoiding doing it for the fear of voiding the warranty

The ASS is really starting to get on my nerves. Just a couple of days back, I was driving at night and had forgotten to turn off the ASS before driving off. I realised that I had forotten to carry out the ritual of turning off the ASS when I was about to come to a stop at a traffic junction. Instinctively, I immediately reached out my left hand to press on the ASS button, only to instead accidently pressed the start-stop button. The engine immediately was turned off but the car was still rolling from the earlier momentum. I had no choice but to press the start-stop button again and this time the entire electronics was killed and the car suddenly braked itself and come to an abrupt stop. Luckily the car behind wasn't trailing too fast or too close behind. I have to press the start-stop button yet again to re-ignite the engine and shift the gear to "drive" to get it moving again. Sigh.... the ASS button should be located elsewhere and not in the same location as the start-stop button as one is bound to pressed it unintentionally when trying to deactivate the ASS while driving when all focus is on the road.

Sorry guys, yet another rant from me about the "joys" of the ASS! Damn, how I hate that ASS.

Thanks for sharing this experience. Something that I will be aware of for my own car. I asked the Ingress SA about recoding the ASS (to remember last used mode) but she said they don't have the 'key lock/password' to make the change. I think she just is not knowledgeable about this particular detail.

whw;774842 said:
Thanks for sharing this experience. Something that I will be aware of for my own car. I asked the Ingress SA about recoding the ASS (to remember last used mode) but she said they don't have the 'key lock/password' to make the change. I think she just is not knowledgeable about this particular detail.

It's just that BMW Malaysia has not issued out a circular/directive (they refer it to as "Service Bulletin") to enable Ingress, or whichever dealer for that matter, to enable them to re-code

OK guys... just an update on the ASS re-coding matter which I am pursuing with both my dealer and BMW Malaysia. I just received a call from the Service Advisor this morning informing me of my "note" to BMW Malaysia regarding the ASS function and my request for "F-vehicle" owners to be given complimentary re-coding of the ASS to the "last user mode" setting, if they so wish to as per the Service Bulleting SI B12 15 12.

Apparently I was informed BMW Malaysia is considering the allowing the re-coding and in order to do that our VIN number will have to be sent to Germany (for some computer inputs and whatnots) before they can do the re-coding. However, he said there will be a charge of between RM150-200, though it is not confirmed as yet. I told him that other parts of the world is providing it complimentary, given the barrage of complaints they have on this "ill-thought out" ASS function, and that it is only fair and as a matter of principal that we in Malaysia be treated the same as well.

Anyway, I have furnished them with evidences of owners of F30 elsewhere in the world who had their re-coding done for free at their dealership as well as the said relevant BMW Service Bulletin. Fingers crossed that we can have this matter satisfactorily resolved soon. Will update you guys once I get any further headway.

In the meantime, I think it will be helpful if all concerned can also write to BMW Malaysia (either directly or via your respective dealership) on the issue you have with the ASS function and a request for a complimentary re-coding as testimony that most F-vehicles owners in Malaysia also do have issue with the ASS and to lend credence to what I told BMW Malaysia. A hundred voice is better than one. Size really does matter (hehe).

c-square;775034 said:
OK guys... just an update on the ASS re-coding matter which I am pursuing with both my dealer and BMW Malaysia. I just received a call from the Service Advisor this morning informing me of my "note" to BMW Malaysia regarding the ASS function and my request for "F-vehicle" owners to be given complimentary re-coding of the ASS to the "last user mode" setting, if they so wish to as per the Service Bulleting SI B12 15 12.

Apparently I was informed BMW Malaysia is considering the allowing the re-coding and in order to do that our VIN number will have to be sent to Germany (for some computer inputs and whatnots) before they can do the re-coding. However, he said there will be a charge of between RM150-200, though it is not confirmed as yet. I told him that other parts of the world is providing it complimentary, given the barrage of complaints they have on this "ill-thought out" ASS function, and that it is only fair and as a matter of principal that we in Malaysia be treated the same as well.

Anyway, I have furnished them with evidences of owners of F30 elsewhere in the world who had their re-coding done for free at their dealership as well as the said relevant BMW Service Bulletin. Fingers crossed that we can have this matter satisfactorily resolved soon. Will update you guys once I get any further headway.

In the meantime, I think it will be helpful if all concerned can also write to BMW Malaysia (either directly or via your respective dealership) on the issue you have with the ASS function and a request for a complimentary re-coding as testimony that most F-vehicles owners in Malaysia also do have issue with the ASS and to lend credence to what I told BMW Malaysia. A hundred voice is better than one. Size really does matter (hehe).

Bravo bro. Thanks for fighting the right.

c-square;775034 said:

Thanks c-square. Appreciate it!

Can we write it directly to BMW Malaysia via email? Which email address should we email to?

I sent them an email as well asking if they are going to offer the re-coding for free to the local customers. Awaiting their reply.

whw;775136 said:
Thanks c-square. Appreciate it!

Can we write it directly to BMW Malaysia via email? Which email address should we email to?

Bro, just go to BMW Malaysia official website, click on the "contact" and then fire away with whatever you want to say.

Another update... spoke to my SA (who's my physical liaison with BMW Malaysia) this morning and was informed that BMW has acknowledged the existance of the Serviec Bulleting SI B12 15 12 after I sent documentary evidences over to them three days back. Apparently, the respond was that the said Service Bulletin is catered specifically for a different market so is not applicable over here. However, BMW Malaysia is still taking our feedback on the ASS into consideration but has not come to any decision as yet on whether the re-coding can be complimentary. All is not lost yet, so continue to keep my fingers crossed.

c-square;775480 said:
Bro, just go to BMW Malaysia official website, click on the "contact" and then fire away with whatever you want to say.

Done! Have sent a message to BMW Malaysia requesting for FOC recoding of ASS to 'last user mode' as being provided overseas.

Asked Ingress Auto (LDP) service team today about the ASS recoding and the dude there confirmed that recoding can be done but at additional cost to owner. His explanation is that the f30 was designed to default ASS on and if customer decides to have it otherwise then it will be deemed as a 'change request'.

Top Bottom