Anybody has these symptoms?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Lee36328

Club Guest
Symptoms in my car recently :1. sudden loss of power while driving - no power no matter how hard you rev, intermittent; comes and goes.2. fuel consumption climbing up3. gearbox does not shift smoothly - no power between 2500 and 3000 rpm4. alarm keeps going off for no reason5. rough idling and revvingAny ideas anyone?

Sounds serious.

From my own experience with other cars (not BMW) it could be the ignition coil and/or bad spark plug cables and/or one or more cylinders are not firing.

Or it's time to get a new car!

OK, jokes aside, why not let Jeffry of M1 (Kayu Ara) have a look.

1. sudden loss of power while driving - no power no matter how hard you rev, intermittent; comes and goes.

i think it would be the camshaft sensor. my friend owning a e46 just had his changed. now everything is fine and dandy.

temporary solution would be when u want to jalan, just accelerate habis. terus tekan full blast :)

the other problems might be related with the first symptom but im not sure. hope it helps.

Originally posted by Lee36328@Jun 3 2006, 02:14 AM
Symptoms in my car recently :

1. sudden loss of power while driving - no power no matter how hard you rev, intermittent; comes and goes.

2. fuel consumption climbing up

3. gearbox does not shift smoothly - no power between 2500 and 3000 rpm

4. alarm keeps going off for no reason

5. rough idling and revving

Any ideas anyone?
try easy one first : Change your fuel filter if you never change before, it may clog

Cheers

Originally posted by Pee Knees@Jun 3 2006, 04:38 PM

i think it would be the camshaft sensor. my friend owning a e46 just had his changed. now everything is fine and dandy.

temporary solution would be when u want to jalan, just accelerate habis. terus tekan full blast :)

the other problems might be related with the first symptom but im not sure. hope it helps.
My camshaft sensor was faulty once too, and it manifested itself as having a slightly unsteady rpm reading and on-and-off inability to rev beyond 1500rpm (hit 1500rpm and the engine dies). Does your car have these symptoms, Lee36328?

To complicate the puzzle further, the camshaft sensor is NEW.

Thanks for all the useful inputs so far. Keep 'em coming!

Originally posted by Pee Knees@Jun 3 2006, 04:38 PM

When I tried that, the rpm rises with very little corresponding rise in torque or vehicle speed. Feels like revving an old truck!

Parked it overnight, anticipating a huge repair bill. Next morning, this symptom disappeared.

Meanwhile, my alarm started going beserk.

A mystery indeed.

since crank sensor, ingniton coil are oout of the questions..

try checking on yr injectors, clogged maybe,,..--> i had the same prob as yrs except for questions 3 -5...

is rahter impossible all probs come at the same time.. must be due to one prob tat leads to all.!

better go for a full diagnose to rectify it asap man..

All da best.!

Ha ha.

Thanks Jsen.

Fuel pump and filter are also quite new, changed a few months back...

This is an interesting case, which is why I post it up here.

O2 sensor can check by voltmeter, exact resistance you need to find out for your engine.

check compression, then cylinder head gasket for any leaks or it might be the gearbox.

of course la....always revs engine up for what??? :p

helo...Unker. Thats what we call gearbox slipping la.

this I dunno....go have it check at Cobra Alarm at TTDI la. I assumed you still running on Cobra. :wink:

Happened to me brudder car...same engine as urs, M52. At Sepang...idling very rough. Sometime engine stalled..!!! :unsure: Some says its the pressure hose in the valve cover...but then problem solved, found out that ..its the nut at Vanos Kit missing.the nut must have flown away while I was whacking my brudder M52 in Sepang.:blush:

But Unker..... I think hor. B) You shud change car la.

Oh yeah..one more thing you shud know. I hate alloy shortblocks from BMW
ask me why...... :hmmph:

Originally posted by Zoggee@Jun 4 2006, 02:43 AM

check compression, then cylinder head gasket for any leaks or it might be the gearbox.

of course la....always revs engine up for what??? :p

helo...Unker. Thats what we call gearbox slipping la.

this I dunno....go have it check at Cobra Alarm at TTDI la. I assumed you still running on Cobra. :wink:

Happened to me brudder car...same engine as urs, M52. At Sepang...idling very rough. Sometime engine stalled..!!! :unsure: Some says its the pressure hose in the valve cover...but then problem solved, found out that ..its the nut at Vanos Kit missing.the nut must have flown away while I was whacking my brudder M52 in Sepang.:blush:

But Unker..... I think hor. B) You shud change car la.

yah lar i have heard tht before about the alloy block , but why ar ?tell me ler >....

and lee,
good luck to you man , keep us update here ....

Originally posted by Lee36328@Jun 3 2006, 08:15 PM
To complicate the puzzle further, the camshaft sensor is NEW.

Thanks for all the useful inputs so far. Keep 'em coming!
how about the crankshaft sensor? have you changed this as well..next would be the o2 sensor..there's 2 o2 sensor for the m52b28 engine..or the damn vanos is not workin well

Originally posted by Zoggee@Jun 4 2006, 02:43 AM

Yes, I know why - can't rebore! :D

Originally posted by Zoggee@Jun 4 2006, 02:52 AM
and unker...I think its about time you buy a M3 la!!!
Bo lui le! :blush:

But really, so many symptoms happening at once - really puzzling.

Originally posted by Lee36328@Jun 3 2006, 05:48 AM

When I tried that, the rpm rises with very little corresponding rise in torque or vehicle speed. Feels like revving an old truck!
[/quote]
Quite familiar to me......happened in Jan. this year....have to drive 120km/h(the best i could)...from johor to perak...and the culprit...AFM maximum opening was reduced to 3/4 opening due tu accumulated dirt.....service FOC by mech.....touch wood for the anticipating bills......

regards
manjit

Top Bottom