another question on ms/ds

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
E46, sorry the auntie title is not for you. I am getting 10.8l/100km. Avg speed 39km/h :)

mine 11.8l/100km on a 1650kg car (average taken after 2500km of drive)...i think i more auntie...

After reading your posts, I am using DS for my normal driving and guess what? My FC is slightly lower than before! This is crazy! :stupid:

Am not complaining ..... more oomph to drive now. :top:

MSport;386688 said:
After reading your posts, I am using DS for my normal driving and guess what? My FC is slightly lower than before! This is crazy! :stupid:

Am not complaining ..... more oomph to drive now. :top:

haha...crazy ler...
icon10.gif

The one thing I don't like in DS mode is when u pedal down hard and lift off immediately, the gearbox is dragging u back vigorously and very uncomfortable to the passenger like want to throw the passenger off the chair. If manual car, we just hit the clutch to release the drag, if in D mode, the drag is a lot subtle.. other than that, weaving in between traffic or on the country road with DS is super sweet! :top:

when in M mode and i suddenly have to slow down, the gear downshift automatically to 2 . I sometimes forget this and keep downshifting, the car becomes jerky as if in 1st gear , but now I know how it behaves, i just let the car do it.

anyway, for me DS is when I'm in highway and immediately shift to D once i left highway ( city driving).

izuaff;386756 said:
....anyway, for me DS is when I'm in highway and immediately shift to D once i left highway ( city driving).

Bro, so I guess city is like Chow Kit, Bukit Bintang, Imbi, Sultan Ismail while LDP, Federal Highway, Tun Razak are all "HIGHWAY".. :p

yesterday i send my car for detailing somewhere in usj. there will 2 senior guys there *claimed bmw drivers* saying that we should not interchange m, ds, d often . in long run will spoil the gear box, hurt the engine la...but then i remembered u guys saying here is engineered to be interchanged at any time, etc.. if the 2 guys were young chaps, i surely ignore already.

I've read somewhere before that an auto box is designed to be run in auto, and the steptronic (or whatever they choose to call it) manual shifting should be used only when it's really needed - if you want a manual car, get a stickshift or SMG. But Rachel, I don't think there is a problem shifting between D and DS because both are auto modes, they're just different shift programs. ;)

I think here Rachel's concern is more like what they say keep switching on and off electrical items will shorten their life span compare to keeping it on all the time. So will you keep your house lights on in the day?

Even keep changing gear on a stickshift will wear out the clutch a lot sooner than a car that don't change gear as often.

.. and keep using your brakes will wear out the brakes faster... which common sense tells you its true.... do you have a choice? well? yes and no.. if u know what I am trying to tell u.

Even in an auto box, we have many clutch plates inside, 12 pcs if not mistaken for BMW. And auto boxes is using hydraulic to depress the plates to the flywheel in a way. And there are few actuators in there which are responsible for high and low pressure depression.

Low pressure meant for during gear shifts or gas pedal released or something, allowing the clutches to skid to cut out the jerk/drag, equal to depressing the clutch pedal in manual boxes. Once the intended gear is in place and during acceleration, only the high pressure actuators will take over to secure the clutch plates to the flywheel allowing full transfer of power from engine to the drive shaft.

So in DS or MS mode, high pressure actuator work a lot harder but less stressful to the clutch plates because less skid is allowed. That's why DS and MS is more jerky.

So in "D" mode, the low pressure actuator works more and clutch plates skid more. So u see, they are all wear and tear items but only involving different parts/items at different shift modes.

I wonder which shiftmode would produce more heat in the gearbox because it will kill the ATF faster.. my hunch is "DS" and "MS" mode... while "D" mode is more gentle to the ATF but harsh to the clutch plates.

astroboy;392677 said:
I wonder which shiftmode would produce more heat in the gearbox because it will kill the ATF faster.. my hunch is "DS" and "MS" mode... while "D" mode is more gentle to the ATF but harsh to the clutch plates.

Ooh! Looks like I need to change more towards "D" mode now.

does anyone know anyone who can convert 2001 steptronic gearshifting to post 2001 steptronic gearshifting? What I mean is that on my E39 2001, the (-) is a downshift while on my E46 2003, the (-) is an upshift.

i find it confusing when I switch between the two cars.

affan66;392680 said:
does anyone know anyone who can convert 2001 steptronic gearshifting to post 2001 steptronic gearshifting? What I mean is that on my E39 2001, the (-) is a downshift while on my E46 2003, the (-) is an upshift.

i find it confusing when I switch between the two cars.

Just swap wire under the shifter only ma.. :D

but how come (-) can represent upshift?

that means we should always use d..when wanna speed up, we change to m..then once stabilized, shift back to d??

*cant wait to see car later*

Clutches and brakes are cheap compared to a buggered BMW GB. Basically the stress to the system is because each time you shift manually, you're overriding the auto. In any equipment, overrides are never meant to be constantly done.

racheltoh;392690 said:
that means we should always use d..when wanna speed up, we change to m..then once stabilized, shift back to d??

Once again for clarity:
D = Normal Drive auto
DS = Drive Sport auto
M/S - Manual Shift steptronic

You can use D or DS without worry Rachel. If you wanna speed up even in D, press the pedal all the way down to the stop, and press some more to the 2nd stop.

I say don't worry too much Rachel... just stick to which ever shift mode that suites u.. if traffic is clear and u feel like doing some spirited leg stretching session, or want to teach a cucuk-er a lesson, go MS or DS. When stuck in a jam and want to enjoy a less jerky relax romantic cruise to enjoy the country side or scenery, go "D"..

Schwepps;392691 said:
Clutches and brakes are cheap compared to a buggered BMW GB. Basically the stress to the system is because each time you shift manually, you're overriding the auto. In any equipment, overrides are never meant to be constantly done.

That depends on who/what is overriding who/what...

For me, the shift program in AT box is always a nuisance and keeps interfering/overriding my drive... stickshift is still the best! I overrides! and over rule!

sorry astroboy.. typo. meant (-) to reduce gear but have to push the gear up(or towards the dash) rather than pull (away from the dash).
Can just simply swap the wires? is it soldered or just plug in?

Top Bottom