another question on ms/ds

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
One interesting observation is that whenever you flick to DS mode, the gear always steps down although you've been travelling at a steady speed. Anyone else experienced this?

:top: yes I noticed the same thing... that's why I push my gear lever down once as soon as I switch to DS mode

i now permanently drive on ds mode cos save fuel wor..i m getting 14.2-14.3l/100km... whereas when i m on d, i m getting 14.5

anyone else experience same??

MSport;384200 said:
One interesting observation is that whenever you flick to DS mode, the gear always steps down although you've been travelling at a steady speed. Anyone else experienced this?

It usually downshifts immediately if you're in a higher gear, ie, you're already travelling at speed when shifting to DS. It doesn't always happen if you shift when you're still in lower gear.

racheltoh;384228 said:
i now permanently drive on ds mode cos save fuel wor..i m getting 14.2-14.3l/100km... whereas when i m on d, i m getting 14.5

anyone else experience same??

Nope, the opposite should be happening because you'll be staying in a lower gear longer. :) DS is not meant for city crawling or highway cruising, it's best left for spirited driving or winding mountain roads.

The transmission is actually more responsive in DS with less "slip" compared in D. So perhaps you are seeing this. Also its bound to be a bit more jerky due to the more bite from DS mode.

I find MS mode the most efficient in terms of FC, but its also more "jerky" esp at lower speeds. Overall the tranny on the E90 is pretty good I think. Quite responsive for a slush box (miles better than the tranny on the E46).

A DCT would be ideal.

Schwepps;384250 said:
Nope, the opposite should be happening because you'll be staying in a lower gear longer. :) DS is not meant for city crawling or highway cruising, it's best left for spirited driving or winding mountain roads.

to achieve good fc, the popular believe to go into highest gear asap is not true in all condition...the main thing is the efficiency of the gear used to transfer the engine power to the wheels...if u are in higher gear but dragging the engine this is not fuel efficient but u are using more fuel per distance travelled....

on D mode the car tends to feel a bit draggy as the gear is shifted up faster...while on the DS mode do you guys realise it does not shift up to 6th but only up to 5th...

the fc meter below the rpm meter will give u the idea if u are on efficient drive or not regardless of the gear mode u use...

wow ..14kM per liter .. sometime I wonder how you guys achieve it , do not normally get anything higher than 11KM ... however, the last few few trip after changing to GY F1 non-RFT , I am achieving slightly better mileage ... still monitoring.

Anyway, as my wife told me after seeing me looking at the fuel gauge so often .. "why worry about fc when you driving BM .. might as well buy a Honda City ... "

t2ribena;384309 said:
to achieve good fc, the popular believe to go into highest gear asap is not true in all condition...the main thing is the efficiency of the gear used to transfer the engine power to the wheels...if u are in higher gear but dragging the engine this is not fuel efficient but u are using more fuel per distance travelled....

The shift program parameters in D mode are optimised for fuel efficiency. How do you drag the engine in higher gear if it's a modern autobox, especially one that's as sophisticated as a BMW box? :rolleyes:

Dngrdad;384317 said:
wow ..14kM per liter .. sometime I wonder how you guys achieve it , do not normally get anything higher than 11KM ... however, the last few few trip after changing to GY F1 non-RFT , I am achieving slightly better mileage ... still monitoring.

Anyway, as my wife told me after seeing me looking at the fuel gauge so often .. "why worry about fc when you driving BM .. might as well buy a Honda City ... "

When we discuss FC, we're talking in liters per 100km stats, not km per liter, bro. Rachel is getting 14.2l/100km, which works out to 7km/l. The 11km/l you say you're getting would work out to 9.1l/100km, which would be a record for an E90 if it's a long term FC. More like a Honda City in fact :)

Schwepps;384324 said:
The shift program parameters in D mode are optimised for fuel efficiency. How do you drag the engine in higher gear if it's a modern autobox, especially one that's as sophisticated as a BMW box? :rolleyes:

as i said it depends on the condition especially the driving pattern of the driver...the D mode is tuned for highest fuel efficiency if the driver drives slowly or smoothly as the gear always keeps the rpm below 2k. but when u have a driver which requires more responsive gearing from the AT box then this mode is not suitable as it in certain condition be in the wrong gear (correct gear for the car but not the driver
icon10.gif
) and the delay in shifting is causing minimal loss of efficiency...but after few hundred km then this translate into higher fc but by not much...

yes it is sophisticated but all technology has its limitation and this is why BMW provide the DS and MS mode to try to cater to all drivers profile...

i myself drive in DS mode as after 50k km i found that it is more fuel efficient for my driving pattern to use this mode...

t2ribena;384349 said:
..i myself drive in DS mode as after 50k km i found that it is more fuel efficient for my driving pattern to use this mode...

Hmmnn... this is interesting..

So "D" mode is the "no power, unresponsive and high FC" for drivers like us.. :eek: that sucks!

For me, "D" mode is when my parents or wife is riding with me. "DS" is when I'm alone.. :love:

Schwepps;384328 said:
When we discuss FC, we're talking in liters per 100km stats, not km per liter, bro. Rachel is getting 14.2l/100km, which works out to 7km/l. The 11km/l you say you're getting would work out to 9.1l/100km, which would be a record for an E90 if it's a long term FC. More like a Honda City in fact :)

My 17k km old E90 320i is giving me between about 10.5l to 11.5l/100km for my normal office commuting use.. I thought 325 FC should be about 13l/100km.. Rachel's 14+l/100km FC seems high to me but again, perhaps traffic condition is more worst..

astroboy;384541 said:
My 17k km old E90 320i is giving me between about 10.5l to 11.5l/100km for my normal office commuting use.. I thought 325 FC should be about 13l/100km.. Rachel's 14+l/100km FC seems high to me but again, perhaps traffic condition is more worst..

Your FC is pretty good astro. My 325i Sports FC is 11.9l/100km which I think is impressive for a 2.5l car. But then I avoid traffic jams like the plague :)

In a 320i you would tend to use DS more to get a true 3-er drive. In a 325i, it's less necessary because the torque in D is adequate for most situations.

Bro Schwepps FC figures could possibly be the envy of many E90 325 owners.

i never get below 13l/100km before le.....even i drive outstation...
maybe the answer is "constant speed"??

MSport;384716 said:
Bro Schwepps FC figures could possibly be the envy of many E90 325 owners.

Actually I myself am surprised. I drive normally, gunning the car to 5,500rpm from the Kiara toll through the Penchala tunnel every morning just to wake myself and the car up :) I put it down to using V-Power, using highways wherever possible even if I have to pay toll, and avoiding getting caught in jams just because I hate the waste of time.

racheltoh;384720 said:
i never get below 13l/100km before le.....even i drive outstation...
maybe the answer is "constant speed"??

rachel...with ur F1 driving style sure cannot get good fc lo
icon10.gif

U all 6-potters owners are worst than F1 drivers la.. :D Driving at alternate velocity must be fun :top:

We all 4-potters are a little more gentle because no matter how we pedal, its just a waste of time.. :p constant speed high speed corners are our cup of tea..:listen::love:

Top Bottom