another question on ms/ds

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

racheltoh

Club Guest
let say u r driving on the highway at 130km/h on ds mode, can u change to ms mode? advisable?

i think that shouldnt be a problem.

lots of times i drive at variable speeds...120..140..150...in D, and suddenly felt the urge to speed up to getaway from cars tailgating me, i push to the left into 'M' mode and start flipping my upshift paddles on my steering wheel, no issue whatsoever...i think its design to be deployed like this.

Yes, you can change anytime. I reckon there would be no problem at all. I'm sure BMW engineers have already figured that we would be shifting left and right anytime, any speed.

racheltoh;382721 said:
oh u mean, can change ms ds ms ds at high speed...
wont spoil the car?

I've smoked a modded GTI on the MEX highway, switched from D to MS mode at 180km/h for the extra oomph! :top:

msport.. did u speed up further or reduce speed n switch back to D?

i "feel" that by interchanging d to ms n back to d n ms will cause harm wor... or is it simply just my feeling..

racheltoh;382794 said:
msport.. did u speed up further or reduce speed n switch back to D?

i "feel" that by interchanging d to ms n back to d n ms will cause harm wor... or is it simply just my feeling..

here's what i did...... I switched to MS to drop the gear down to M5 and revved up the engine to overtake him, then i continued at the higher speed but geared up back to M6.

A few seconds later, i switched back to D at 160km/h and continued on.

azam318;382744 said:
Sifus, sorry my silly question, what is ms mode ds mode mean?

Sifus, correct me if i'm wrong..... MS = Manual Sequential mode, DS = Drive Sports mode

MSport yup u are right.

Our gear will never allow you to over rev the car, so it's safe to use what ever mode you want at what ever speed. Of course revving all the time will tax your gearbox more than usual I guess.

I only use M mode for down shift to create additional engine braking into turns at high speed so CG won't throw to the front, which will happen if we apply too much brake, upsetting the chassis balance when negotiating corners.

DS will allow engine rev to go higher compare to M mode. I find the M mode auto over riding up shift kicks in too early.. potong steam!

As for answering Rachel's question, yes! No problem in switching to M from DS at high speed. Our gearbox is intelligent enough to take care of itself... even switching into "R" at top speed (I think)... I did that with an E36 328 before.. :D

Errrrr, just so that everyone is on the same page with the terminologies, D is normal auto mode, DS is Drive Sport auto mode (when you push the gear lever to the left), and M/S is Manual Shift mode (when you move the gear lever up and down while it's in DS position) So there are 3 shift modes available in the E90: D, DS and M/S, okay?

Hi,
Jolly Christmas and Happy new year .. I read somewhere that whilst shifting it in high speed, be careful not to ramp higher that the limit, the car will stall to protect the engine ... cheers

Also better to keep the revs steady when shifting from D to DS and vice versa. Gives the gearbox sensors and gear selection program a better chance to get it right, than if you're accelerating or deccelerating while shifting.

In any case, if one is already travelling at high speed, why would one need to shift to DS to downshift? If a kickdown is needed, just step on the accelerator past the 1st resistance point to the 2nd point. I usually get a double-kickdown that way.

BTW, if you're talking about M/S shifting Dngrdad, I don't think it will stall the engine. The selection program just won't allow the shift to the gear that you want, that's all.

Erm... since we are in this topic, say.. if we are on DS and coming to a sharp down hill corner like the one Subang Jaya down hill curve right into the Federal, I would normally flick to M3 to take the corner and sometime M2, then once exited the corner how can we get it back to DS? Flick to D and then DS? ... seems a handful.. :(

astroboy;384020 said:
Erm... since we are in this topic, say.. if we are on DS and coming to a sharp down hill corner like the one Subang Jaya down hill curve right into the Federal, I would normally flick to M3 to take the corner and sometime M2, then once exited the corner how can we get it back to DS? Flick to D and then DS? ... seems a handful.. :(

bro dun forget to heel and toe before downshifting
icon10.gif

unfortunately there is no button or shortcut to change back from M to DS...

ALO! heel toe only when clutch engage la.. we all mana ada?! Left leg brake maybe.. :p

azam318;382744 said:
Sifus, sorry my silly question, what is ms mode ds mode mean?

Not available for E36 model.. especially for manual gearbox.

Only available for e46 or later model. Basically for auto transmission.

In most convensional auto, you will have "P", "R", "D", "L2" and "L1" (sometime L3 if your gearbox have more gear ratio). As for E36 auto, you can press a "S" button which will make the car more revey.

For E46 and above, the gear shift is the same as auto shift except that when in "D" mode, there is slot which will allow you to shift the stick to the left for semi-auto mode driving. Once it is in this slot, there is a "+" and "-" sign. By pushing up, you will shift the gear down (eg. M3 -> M2) and pulling down, you will the gear up one step (M3 -> M4). Basically the feeling is just like a kupchai. One down and 3 ups if you know what I means. :wink:

The gearbox control is intelligent enough to overight your manual control sometime. Say you shift the gear to M5 and you happen to slowdown, it will automatically shift it down for you when you forget to do it.

Yes, shifting from MS to DS to MS to DS is a brezee. I was sceptical at first but after a few attempts at various speeds, I managed to have the confident. Most of the time on straight road, didnt bother to change to manual mode cos the pickup is good enough to overtake safely on auto mode. :top:

astroboy;384020 said:

Yup, it's a bummer that you can't go back to DS from M/S, astro. Only way out is to go to D :stupid:

Top Bottom