Alloy Wheel Refurbishment

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Jipster

Club Guest
Took my newly acquired (old) 15in rims to Heap Soon Segambut earlier this afternoon only to be told by the nice lady there that :- their sprayer is on 'holiday' and they dun know when he will be back (she didnt sound optimistic);- (because of the above) they can only do grind/skim/weld outerlip of rims only for nowaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh...........Does anyone know of any other place that can do this? The rims are not damaged in any major way just some kerb rash and a 'faded' overall appearance.Any ideas??

I know a lot of reputable tyre & rim shop such as Lim Tayar (TTDI), Sunny Car Care (Tmn Sea), spray paint shops offer such service. When I sent my car into UK Best for respraying about 3 months back, they also refurbished and resprayed my rims....looks like new...But mine only had very minor stains and slight scratches/kerb marks....I supposed it'll set you back between RM100 - RM150 per rim depending on the damage. ;)

Originally posted by Jipster@Dec 18 2004, 04:34 PM Hey thanks DD....will check out sunny then...
no worries.....do keep us posted on the outcome.....

I need to respray my rims too - anyone knows any shop near Ampang Point ?Is it just a day job or more than that ?Thanks.

Originally posted by ozone@Dec 19 2004, 06:22 PM I need to respray my rims too - anyone knows any shop near Ampang Point ?Is it just a day job or more than that ?Thanks.
As much as I would like to think that these guys actually do it at the back of the shop...NO, work is very likely farmed out...which means 4-5 days at least.DD is right, generally 100-150 per rim....depending on damage...possible types of damage:- faded appearance - generally need new coating, so will need spraying;- kerb rash - usually on outer edge of rim - if bad (very noticeable chunks/pieces are broken off etc.) will need 'welding' (thats the word used...I suppose i.e. 'filling' in the damaged area and then finished by grinding/polishing etc.. If not too bad (just scratching) may just need grinding/polishing/sand blasting- if have polished bits e.g. polished lip etc. will need to skim/grind/sand blast/polish to bring back shine- if rims bent - confirmed by sight, wheel is mounted on balacing machine and spun - will need ketuk-king...it wont get it back to 100% (not possible) but close enuff for street/daily use...shud not suffer any vibration probs- misc. work - I dunno, there may be special work involved if your rims have been affected by extra-ordinary circumstances ...my guess is 'Malaysia Boleh' i.e. very likely they will have some solution for you...may not be perfect but it will helpJust my thots.....

Jippy,Do grind/skim/weld outerlip of your rims rims, then bring them to me.........Muargggghhaahahahahaha!!!!!!I can get them repainted in a day or two! Call me if interested OK?

Originally posted by kevster30@Dec 20 2004, 10:56 PM Jippy,Do grind/skim/weld outerlip of your rims rims, then bring them to me.........Muargggghhaahahahahaha!!!!!!I can get them repainted in a day or two! Call me if interested OK?
too late bro ...rims have already gone in for full treatment....shud've told me sooner....but then shit happens I guess...anyway got some damage larr to rims...all 4 have to ketuk...additional moolah needed :(

Abang Jip...Nevermind-loh! Btw, as I have also to do my rims......pls PM me so we can go tengok & collect your rims at the shop! I want to check out the quality-lar.......Thanks!

Originally posted by Jules@Dec 21 2004, 10:26 AM Abang Jip...Nevermind-loh! Btw, as I have also to do my rims......pls PM me so we can go tengok & collect your rims at the shop! I want to check out the quality-lar.......Thanks!
sure mate....let me have your hp number better...pm me (u cannot post no. ...against forum rules)...mabbee ready by thursday or friday....

hey there fellow bmw lovers... jules,kevster and dd.brad here...quite new to the club but bmw e30 lover since a kid(1984 i think)anyway...if u guys r looking for a good reputable guy to do rim repairs and refurbishment,go check out this guy in jln chan show lin...jimmy low goes there alot to repair his rims!not sure wht the name of the shop is but they r pretty affordable...my friend had his 4 rims redone at RM75 for all 4 rims...seriously!if ur familiar with chan show lin,its the same street as the chop shop but its next to the spray and body shop...kevster,dude...u spray rims oso ah?can i send mine to u for a respray again ah?had it resprayed last year but not nicely done enough...if u guys want just call me at 012-2504288 and i'll take u guys to the rim repair guy!p.s, kevster...i think we have a friend in common..(kevin from quantum,botak indian guy)till then u guys have a merry xmas and a happy new year!!!-brad-

:) oops...forgot bout the forum rules bout posting mobile numbers...hehheh!sorry la guys...newbie here mah!i forgot to address the post to jipster too(sorry dude)jipster,i would like to know wht rims did u get and where?i'm looking for a new old set coz getting kinda bored of my current rims!thanx guysaight,-brad-

All tyre shops will take in your rims for "refurbishment" but only a few actually do the refurnishment there. Most send the rims to elsewhere. So far, the only 2 places I see actual refurbishment taking place is Heap Soon Segambut & Shah Alam Tyres (near Public Bank - can see the Goodyear signboard from the roundabout). Have not seen any rims being refurbished at Sunny, though they may have a workshop somewhere else. Better ask when you go there.

tyke...thanks for offer dude , but like I said, a bit too late , rims already sent in...come to TT and we can talk summore and exchange info :) RM75 for all 4 rims is damned cheap mate...maybe too cheap...need to know what that covers!!!!The rims I got are Mille Miglia's ...dunno what model...old discontinued 15in 8 spoke design ...8 spokes are kinda unusual as rim design tend to go with odd number spokes (if less than 10 spokes) unless its a super duper multi spoke (20!) design like alpinas...I bought MMs from fellow forummer...although in general e30 rims are difficult to get, it helps if you have moolah to throw...it gives u options as whatever that is out there is likely to be expensive...Ive been quoted 2k for basketweaves :eek: !! Maybe youll get lucky like master jules...he got himself replica alpinas recently...Flanker dude...yeah u right...as my earler post suggests...and yeah sunny doesnt do in house as work is farmed out....so have the dreaded 'handling cost' tagged on... :(

Jips....There is this place in segambut ... very good ...check kevsters rims out .... damn good work .. :D

Originally posted by three28@Dec 21 2004, 11:54 AM Jips....There is this place in segambut ... very good ...check kevsters rims out .... damn good work .. :D
shyam...been there mate...their sprayer AWOL! Lady dunno when he will be back....

kevs or others,I am using the MMII. it is unique as it was designed specifically for the E36.The color is also unique, known as black antracite. I need to refurb these wheels back to the ori because the ori finishing is simply amazing.Please let me know if you guys know where I can do it. PM also can.Thank you thank you.Sample of my rim:

Just curious, do you get a temp set to run with while it gets when refubished? My stock rims are chipped at a few places, and am thinking of getting it fixed.

Originally posted by affan66@Dec 21 2004, 12:07 PM kevs or others,I am using the MMII. it is unique as it was designed specifically for the E36.The color is also unique, known as black antracite. I need to refurb these wheels back to the ori because the ori finishing is simply amazing.Please let me know if you guys know where I can do it. PM also can.Thank you thank you.Sample of my rim:
Heap Soon Segambut (if sprayer is back)...or the places mentioned by Flanker dude and DD - check postings here ....BUTTTT....since your finish is is kinda special I dunno...maybe u need to contact kev directly so he can comment...just spraying it may not do it justice ...good luck master affan :)

;) hey jipster,thanx for ur speedy reply...yeah i thought tht it was odd for them to charge only RM75 for my mates rim repair...but thts wht he paid.i would really love to meet u guys for tt session...i'm a lil ignorant so where is it ah?still at bandar utama?is it the banana leaf restaurant in centrepoint and wht day and time do u guys usually gather there?if i go there please dont laugh at my e30 yeah! ;) still got plenty to fix on my udm.well i think u guys got my mobile number now from my previous posts here so please do sms or call me to 'invite' me! i shy mah ur cars all so leng one!-brad-

Top Bottom