advice on buying my 1st BMW

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

lean mean machine

Club Guest
Hi all,I am looking to buy my 1st BMW soon. Looking to get a E90 325i with a budget of 130-150k. I am new to the BMW world and was wondering whether I could get some advice from the current drivers on what to look out for when buying a 2nd BMW. I was targeting potentially a 2008 model.would be great to hear from the rest regarding the maintenance cost of a BMW and whether buying a 5-6 year old car makes sense for a 1st timer.Thanks in advance!

BANYAK MASUK WORKSHOP
BANYAK MAKAN WANG

325i engine exploded will cost RM42k (real case 2010 model 80+k mileage)
absorber 7-8k
tires RFT 5-6k last only 20-25k, cheap one 2.5-4k
fuel 12-14L/100km
Anyway, enjoy the ride, it is a perfect balanced car!

jwah;841072 said:
BANYAK MASUK WORKSHOP
BANYAK MAKAN WANG

325i engine exploded will cost RM42k (real case 2010 model 80+k mileage)
absorber 7-8k
tires RFT 5-6k last only 20-25k, cheap one 2.5-4k
fuel 12-14L/100km
Anyway, enjoy the ride, it is a perfect balanced car!

Insurance got cover explosion ka?! :4:

Do not worry about the cost when your driving a BMW ...
If you're worry about the cost, try to get some outside workshop for maintenance, drive smoothly get a good 2nd hand with full service record will helps.
Buy spare parts yourself ...
anyway ... once u drive continental car, you will never look back for local car =D

Thanks for the advice. Guess every car has to go through some maintenance at some point.just want to minimize it. Looking for the right car is the most important I guess.

currently driving a jap car and would love a conti since I am always on the road. If given a choice with the budget I have, what BMW would you pick?

Bro LMM, go for it. With that budget can get a LCI model. Every car require maintenance in regardless of makes so the cost of servicing actually does not differ much from higher end Jap cars. However compared to normal cars certainly cost of maintenance/servicing is higher as our car required more qty of engine oil (6.5L) of full synthetic lube and extra 2 cylinders (means additional 2 spark plugs & coils to change). This may give the perception that maintenance cost is high. Air filter can be purchased for +/-RM50. ATF change at recommended 60k intervals is not as frequent as some Jap makes. However what I mentioned was only normal maintenance and does not include repairs. Maybe you can do more search for past postings regarding repairs.

As long as you are ready to fork out about RM600-800 month then you will be fine. If you are not ready, you will feel the strain. That is the fact of owning a BMW that is around 5 years old. That's the way it works.

Thanks for all the advice.. I have actually set aside a sum of money just in case things go wrong.. thats the problem with an older car. Really looking forward to finding a suitable BMW soon and hopefully can be part of the family!

Not covered, first offerred 30% goodwill, then wanna bring in a lawyer then just up to 50% goodwill. new engine and two years warranty. Petrol 325i...

If you don't mind me asking, why not a E90 320d instead? With that kinda budget, you can grab yourself a 2010/2011 car. Newer, better FC and fully M-Sport kitted. Plus point is car that age normally are still under warranty and BSRI, which saves you some servicing cost in during initial years of ownership.

Yes, a 320d is much funner than 325i. Faster 0-100km/h, if powerkitted 7.0s

Two very important factor to reduce maintenance cost 1) Find a good reliable and honest workshop 2) know where to buy the parts new and old yourself

Hmmm.. thats something I never considered before.. maybe I should expand my range into looking at diesel as well.. thanks for the tip

If u want to try BMW and get used to it ..... U might consider an E46 or E39 ...... This 2 models are cheap and of cause u need more TLC to bring it back to tip top condition ...... Thru the process u will know more about BMW like what d common problem , maintenance , pre maintenance etc ..... U learn from the experience ...... This the fun to know BMW better , learn urself ...... Dont just read and ask others opinions ..... Feel it and experience urself ......

If u really like E90 , straight go 325 or 320D ........ Avoid 320i ........

Good luck ......

Between 325i & 320d, the way i see it, in a duel on B roads it might take a well driven 325i Msport to match a 320d Msport but the opposite may not be necessary the same whereby an averaged Joe in a 320d may just match a well driven 325i.

rattlesnake1982;841192 said:
Tek tek tek...who cares? As long can Kasi tosai itu inline 6 Vvvuuuu....hehe

Aku ade bmw lori ko ade?

I know a power kitted and chipped 320d that did not lap faster than a stock 325i at Sepang la. What is the use of all the figures if the driver can't utilize it? LOL

rayncc;841423 said:
Between 325i & 320d, the way i see it, in a duel on B roads it might take a well driven 325i Msport to match a 320d Msport but the opposite may not be necessary the same whereby an averaged Joe in a 320d may just match a well driven 325i.

320d and 325i are apples and oranges. Not one is better than the other. They are different creatures. No point going on and on about the d is better than the i.

If one wants the FC and enjoy the torque, nothing beats a d la. The i6 is a sweet engine when revving up to 7k if that is your thing. FC sucks la.

Top Bottom