Adaptive M Suspension

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Danucci

Club Guest
Hi Chaps,As you all may already know, the current specs in the 328i being sold has a Dynamic Driver Control system (not entirely sure about the correct name for it) whereby you could change the set-up of the car depending on your mood for instance.However, the specs in the current line-up for the new 328i is greatly disappointing, especially the Sport Line whereby everywhere else gets the sports line suspension (which I've been made to understand that it reduces the ride height of the car and is a little firmer than the standard suspension). I was hoping that BMW Malaysia would've brought in the Adaptive M Sport Suspension as well for the Sport Line, but to no avail thus far.Sifus, may I kindly enquire as to whether it would be possible to retrofit the Adaptive M Sport Suspension into the 328i if I were to purchase the current version being offered currently?I hear that the M Sport version of the 328i will only be forthcoming later in the year (or even early next year) but I don't think I can wait for that. In addition, there would apparently also be a price bump for the M Sport Version (as always, but I heard it may be like 20k+ the current price to be offered under the SKD models for the 328i).Any thoughts?

Apart from the adaptive M suspension, how many other type of suspension available for F30 ? If not mistaken, the F30 currently offered doesn't have adjustable damper like what the F10 offer. Does it mean to say that F30 can have 3 suspension type, i.e. normal, the one with adjustable damper and adaptive M suspension ? Anyone can give some light on this ?

a5glude;730876 said:
Apart from the adaptive M suspension, how many other type of suspension available for F30 ? If not mistaken, the F30 currently offered doesn't have adjustable damper like what the F10 offer. Does it mean to say that F30 can have 3 suspension type, i.e. normal, the one with adjustable damper and adaptive M suspension ? Anyone can give some light on this ?

If I'm not mistaken the normal suspension that is currently offered is adaptive as well right? Only not as firm as the adaptive M Sport suspension?

Danucci;730882 said:
If I'm not mistaken the normal suspension that is currently offered is adaptive as well right? Only not as firm as the adaptive M Sport suspension?
I believe the current F30 CBU doesn't have adaptive suspension like the F10, very likely the SKD also will not have.

a5glude;731149 said:
I believe the current F30 CBU doesn't have adaptive suspension like the F10, very likely the SKD also will not have.

That's what I've been made to understand as well. In that case, the what does the sport and sport+ function do for the sport line? I've tested it recently, and I'm disappointed to say that I was unable to feel the difference between the comfort and the sport+ function (with respect to the handling).

I currently drive the E90 325i M Sport and I must say that the ride comfort is excellent though but hearing what people say about the M Adaptive Suspension in other forums and countries, it seems to be that the Adaptive is the way to go.

And I called BMW Malaysia as well on this, they said unlikely as well that the adaptive will be made available for the SKD version to be launched soon.

Sigh. Anyone has any idea on the M Performance Suspension and it's availability?

The C250 has the ability to play around with the dampers... BMW Malaysia would be making a mistake not to offer it with the F30.

paultantk;731825 said:
The C250 has the ability to play around with the dampers... BMW Malaysia would be making a mistake not to offer it with the F30.
Paul, appreciate if you can feedback this important missing to BMWM

paultantk;731825 said:

Agreed !

maybe BMW think that 3 series has better sale than C class all the time in Malaysia !

andrewlim8;732217 said:
Agreed !

maybe BMW think that 3 series has better sale than C class all the time in Malaysia !

True that, but If im not mistaken the current 3 series offering does offer adaptive dampers (correct me if I'm wrong though on this, cos when I did test the car recently, it didnt feel like there was much of a difference, if any).

bringing in the Adaptive M Suspension may be a better balance of sports and comfort (I've read in forums that the Adaptive M Suspension is softer in comfort mode, yet firmer in Sport or Sport+ mode).

Is it just me, or does the general market of Malaysia prefer the much more comfortable alternative?.

Danucci;732218 said:
True that, but If im not mistaken the current 3 series offering does offer adaptive dampers (correct me if I'm wrong though on this, cos when I did test the car recently, it didnt feel like there was much of a difference, if any).

bringing in the Adaptive M Suspension may be a better balance of sports and comfort (I've read in forums that the Adaptive M Suspension is softer in comfort mode, yet firmer in Sport or Sport+ mode).

Is it just me, or does the general market of Malaysia prefer the much more comfortable alternative?.
I think we always prefer selectable options instead of fix setup.

yup!its option to the customers,not fixed spec-repeat tat until it gets into the brains of those involved in BMW!

It's particularly disappointing coz when you read about how good Sports + is on cars equipped with adaptive dampers, that's just not available for F30s without i.e. the ones we have here. Essentially, Sports + on these cars only partially disable traction control, that's all it does compared to normal Sports mode. I think the only problem with the current crop of F30s in Malaysia is this. The car just rolls a bit too much compared to my M Sports equipped E92. It's just too soft for my liking.

Juan Powerblow;735688 said:
It's particularly disappointing coz when you read about how good Sports + is on cars equipped with adaptive dampers, that's just not available for F30s without i.e. the ones we have here. Essentially, Sports + on these cars only partially disable traction control, that's all it does compared to normal Sports mode. I think the only problem with the current crop of F30s in Malaysia is this. The car just rolls a bit too much compared to my M Sports equipped E92. It's just too soft for my liking.

I've got to agree with you on that. The current offerings for the F30 is just too soft for any hard driving as compared to my E90...even the Sports+ that they offer currently does not stiffen the dampers (or if they do, it should be very minimal as I'm not able to feel any difference!).

I hear that they may not even offer the M Sports version this year!. I'm truly dissapointed with BMW Malaysia. This should have been the first thing that they should take into consideration when determining the specs to be brought in.

I have been checking for a solution. A friend who's with Stuttgart, who knows their bmws, has been solving this problem with the F10s told me all you need is to change the springs to the M Sports one lowering by 10 mm, and the difference can be felt and should be good enough for many. I also understand KWs got a new range called Street Racing which the Audi boys have been raving about

Juan Powerblow;736200 said:
I have been checking for a solution. A friend who's with Stuttgart, who knows their bmws, has been solving this problem with the F10s told me all you need is to change the springs to the M Sports one lowering by 10 mm, and the difference can be felt and should be good enough for many. I also understand KWs got a new range called Street Racing which the Audi boys have been raving about

Hi Juan,

Does that mean that after retrofitting the M Sports suspension, they are able to change the stiffness of the dampers as well? (i.e. Changing from comfort to Sport+ mode actually hardens the suspension such that it gives a firm ride)

Or is it a passive M Sports suspension such as the one retrofitted on the 325i E90 M Sports?

If its an active one...boy oh boy...would love to get my hands on that!

Did you check if they are aware whether the adaptive M Sports suspension is retrofittable as well?

As far as I know it will be static. On the F10, adaptive dampers are standard so the M Sports springs work in tandem with an existing set-up. On the F30, Comfort and Sports + with this enhancement changes nothing on the suspension.

Went to view the all new Audi A6 last week. Have a drive of the New FL A4 too. The A4 drive is close to F30. Very impress about their add on. They have a list of add on for me to choose. MMI plus, Comfort Key, Lane assist, Advance cruise control, Sound system, etc. If i not mistaken, they have over 30+ items to be selected.

I select few items which i find important and the total cost still within my budget. However, i still want to wait for SKD version of F30.

fschen;736720 said:
Went to view the all new Audi A6 last week. Have a drive of the New FL A4 too. The A4 drive is close to F30. Very impress about their add on. They have a list of add on for me to choose. MMI plus, Comfort Key, Lane assist, Advance cruise control, Sound system, etc. If i not mistaken, they have over 30+ items to be selected.

I select few items which i find important and the total cost still within my budget. However, i still want to wait for SKD version of F30.

Which version of A4 you test drive ? 1.8T or 2.0T ? I test drive 2.0T before and compare to F30 328i, I find that the power delivery of F30 is much better. The A4 seems to run out of steam up high RPM.

a5glude;736814 said:
Which version of A4 you test drive ? 1.8T or 2.0T ? I test drive 2.0T before and compare to F30 328i, I find that the power delivery of F30 is much better. The A4 seems to run out of steam up high RPM.

Yup. Diff power delivery, the F30 328i has an amazing spread stretching to higher rpms. So, make sure road long enough if you take on A5s. Heh!

1.8T is my test drive model. Yes, 328i has better power delivery. Horsepower of A4 is only 170 while 328i has over 2++.

Well, during the test, the road isn't long enough for me to test. This happened when i test the 320d & 328i too. My feeling during both test drive, Audi has improvements.

Top Bottom