Active Steering Fault!!!

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Salam n hii to Bimmer
Need to know the faulty code appear CE99 Message Steering wheel angle oc8.......
What to do n how to solve......
I'm at ara damansara area.......tq

romie26;791822 said:
Mine active steering fault also appear.....tqtq

Bro, have u send the car for diagnose or not?
What did the mec said and have they quoted the price yet?

I have been having this annoying Active Steering fault alarm whenever I start my car (E60 - 520), whether in the morning or anytime during the day for about 1 year. However the fault message would disappear normally after 2-3 minutes.

Took the cue from some forumners and sent my car to a workshop specifying that I just want them to service and clean the Active Steering sensor.

Left them to do the job and after 3-4 hours, was told by the mech that the sensor is very dirty. After cleaning up and using the computer to delete the fault code, now I have peace of mind whenever I start my car. It’s been about 3 days since the sensor is cleaned and touch wood, the AS fault alarm has not surfaced. Hope this is of assistance to those out there who are facing similar problem.

RM400 just to clean the optical angle sensor?

The work scope;

- Disconnect battery
- Use a long screwdriver to pop the airbag out
- Unplug airbag connector and remove airbag
- Use the 17mm socket to remove the bolt securing the steering
- disconnect connector for multifunction buttons and remove steering
- pop out the cover to the steering electronics module
- remove screw and all the indicator/wiper/auto cruise lever
- remove the rotational cable assembly
- remove few more screws and remove the control board where the sensor is located...
- remove the optical disc and clean with plastic friendly cleaner...
- re-install by reverse order

total estimated time - 30m to 1hr

okay i offer rm300 to clean the sensor...:wink:

wah...BP price...

i post to share know how not to make money...so DiY la...

but if u want to give me money i dont mind...kekekke

Jerman;793864 said:
T2,
RM 280? You are on:wink:

They didn't open up the steering wheel nor disconnect the battery. They opened up the steering rack (or is it called the steering column?) which is located at the bottom of the engine between the two upper and lower arms. The sensor is inside the rack or column and that is the one that was cleaned.

Active Steering Solve! at RM 250.:smile:.

Have this problem for the past 1 year, have try DIY method (turning the steering, reboot the CCU, wheel alightment etc..) as posted but cannot solved. After driving for few minutes, the sign will dissepear and everything back to normal. so doesn't bother too much.

However, last week bring to German Mech and amazingly its done by do some servicing and cleaning work at the steering rack..

Pray hard the problem gone forever!

grandis;799041 said:
Active Steering Solve! at RM 250.:smile:.

Have this problem for the past 1 year, have try DIY method (turning the steering, reboot the CCU, wheel alightment etc..) as posted but cannot solved. After driving for few minutes, the sign will dissepear and everything back to normal. so doesn't bother too much.

However, last week bring to German Mech and amazingly its done by do some servicing and cleaning work at the steering rack..

Pray hard the problem gone forever!

Lucky you grandis.. Facing the same problem and what I did was:

1) replaced my Battery because of thought that insufficient power supply but the problem still persist.
2) send the car for alignment and on-wheel balancing few times because of quite frequent changing the wheels.

The 'Active Steering Faulty' never pop-up again and it have been nearly 1 year already.. Not really sure what was the actual root-cause..:hmmmm:

If it appears again, I will call u for sure.. :101:

I also did the same thing, change the battery, do alignment, the error gone... Change oil, filter, battery, rodx2, alignment, labor to register, checking, total damage 1650.00

zack700;799250 said:
Lucky you grandis.. Facing the same problem and what I did was:

1) replaced my Battery because of thought that insufficient power supply but the problem still persist.
2) send the car for alignment and on-wheel balancing few times because of quite frequent changing the wheels.

The 'Active Steering Faulty' never pop-up again and it have been nearly 1 year already.. Not really sure what was the actual root-cause..:hmmmm:

If it appears again, I will call u for sure.. :101:

Let us both pray hard! hope i dun ever received ur call!! hah...

harry_7;799255 said:
I also did the same thing, change the battery, do alignment, the error gone... Change oil, filter, battery, rodx2, alignment, labor to register, checking, total damage 1650.00

Better than change the whole rack which will cost a Bomb!

grandis;799475 said:
Let us both pray hard! hope i dun ever received ur call!! hah...

:24: hope so... But can call u for teh tarik session right??.. :57: hahaha..

Glad to hear all these good news where owners have been able to resolve their AS prob by just sending to mechanic to clean/service the steering rack at a reasonable price instead of having to change the whole steering rack which will costs an arm or a leg.

Grand;799873 said:
Glad to hear all these good news where owners have been able to resolve their AS prob by just sending to mechanic to clean/service the steering rack at a reasonable price instead of having to change the whole steering rack which will costs an arm or a leg.

Thanks also to Bro Grand and grandis on highlighting the brilliant alternative solutions.
One question from me... are you guys brothers (Bro Grand and grandis) :questionmark::questionmark:
Seems like the nickname used is quite similar..:fight:

zack700;800337 said:
Thanks also to Bro Grand and grandis on highlighting the brilliant alternative solutions.
One question from me... are you guys brothers (Bro Grand and grandis) :questionmark::questionmark:
Seems like the nickname used is quite similar..:fight:

Nop.. But our UDM are all brothers..haha

Top Bottom