7 Series Sifus' Opinion Needed - On E38 740i - Candidate For Project Car

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

HaqimRashid

Club Guest
Brothers & Sifus,I recently went back to JB and took the time to catch up with my mechanic. At his workshop sits a pre-facelift E38 740i and he says that the car is selling for 20k. Only the body. No engine. The V8 engine kaput already (piston pecah) and the owner is not keen to have the engine rebuild thus wanting to sell the body for 20k. Body and Paint-Job is still looking (Black). Interior - A,B & C pillars still intact, upholstery in beige still looking good with only minor sign of wear-off. Door and window seals still looks good. The only negative thing about the interior is that the organizer inside the armrest compartment already brittle and the storage compartment underneath the steering is jammed and cannot be open or properly closed. The car also comes with 20' wheel and 4 85% tread michelin tyres. Have not had the chance to see the mileage, test the electronics and check the cluster pixels as the the battery has been taken out. The car is still on stock audio and has an analog aircond panel.I was wondering would the car be a good project candidate? Thinking of buying a 728 halfcut as replacement for the V8. I'm not to familiar with E38 and i do notice that the 740 specs differs fro the 728. Steering Box, Air suspension etc.. Is converting to 728 a good idea in the 1st place? Does other 740 parts interchangeable with the 728 i.e radiators, etc? Does the 728 engine comes with double or single vanos? What should i be looking for / aware about with regards to converting the car?Further, my mech suggested a ballpark figure of 10k for the half-cut and his labor for the conversion. My worries are potential problems arises after the conversion. Is 30k a steal for a body & engine?Still toying with the idea of selling off my E36-325 to finance the job. Do appreciate your thoughts and ideas. Looking forward to your favorable reply.

The 740 i assume is an IL version...ie long wheel base. If so, you aint gonna have alot of fun with a M52B28 in there.....i.e. a 2.8 engine

Also, i am no expert on this proposed conversion, but mind you, the electronics and getting full half cut parts maybe a nightmare...severe shortage as our VIP 728 members are buying all the chop shop barang!!! Hahahahahahahahaha

Anyway, all the best man...but my 2 cents worth...you'll regret this project if you go ahead...but dont let me stop u!!!

Hey Serjit bro,

Was it your car I saw on NKVE Subang-bound this morning? I didn't notice the driver of WEY, but I knew it was your E38. :top:

Anyways, all the best with your project bro Haqim, if you're eager to proceed with it. :)

My advice, get back the same engine (4.0L) & declare as xx L...... saves u a lot of headache....my 10cents....

ssmann;718693 said:
The 740 i assume is an IL version...ie long wheel base. If so, you aint gonna have alot of fun with a M52B28 in there.....i.e. a 2.8 engine

Also, i am no expert on this proposed conversion, but mind you, the electronics and getting full half cut parts maybe a nightmare...severe shortage as our VIP 728 members are buying all the chop shop barang!!! Hahahahahahahahaha

Anyway, all the best man...but my 2 cents worth...you'll regret this project if you go ahead...but dont let me stop u!!!

Thanks Bro for your thoughts.. i need friendly opinions and views before i really decide to take the plunge or not.. Am eager to own a 7 but i would not undertake this project if it will only cause headache later and i don't intent to spend much more time in the workshop than the office even though it's more fun being in the workshop than the office.. My rationale to convert to 728 is based on the thought of making the car as a family cruising balik kampung car.. more spacious and comfortable.. I can't drive fast when the Mrs is around anyways.. She'll start nagging the moment i hit 130kmh.. That's why i only go solo for drives.. I agree with getting the chop shop parts.. a close friend is having a hard time finding a replacement unit for his ABS pump for his E38 728. I guess now i know why lor... Hehehe.. :vroam:

Eggie86;718721 said:
Hey Serjit bro,

Was it your car I saw on NKVE Subang-bound this morning? I didn't notice the driver of WEY, but I knew it was your E38. :top:

Anyways, all the best with your project bro Haqim, if you're eager to proceed with it. :)

Thanks Eggie, Read your 104 pages of post yesterday.. Nice 7 you got there..:top: i got some alpina pic for you.. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151336048260398&set=a.10150195199275398.423464.556315397&type=3&theater (Check the Photo attached) It's my cuz's. Tried soliciting him to join the club but he declined.. His daily driver.. He sort of pass on his e39 530 to his Mrs.. Haven't had the opportunity to full-throttle the car yet.. Soon. :burnout:

kaniz;718807 said:
My advice, get back the same engine (4.0L) & declare as xx L...... saves u a lot of headache....my 10cents....

Thanks Bro, did contemplate doing that but worried cannot claim insurance if i bang the car.. Me and V8 = High Risk of Uncertainty due to very heavy foot... So better not.. Hehehe.. :turtle: better..

Wow, that's an awesome E60 Alpina! :love:

Such a rarity here in Malaysia. Will definitely stand out from all those ///Ms...

To convert from 740 to 728 is a daunting task. How do I know? My mechanic has done it and given the chance again, he wouldn't want to do it. Endless of gremlins to get the car right. All wiring harness from the 740 has to be stripped and changed to the 728. The M60 wiring harness and the M52 wiring harness is not compatible. IMHO, stay away and go straight for the 728 E38 model as most of us did. Parts are cheap and abundance. Good luck in searching your E38. I still missed mine tho but spend many wonderful hours papering my Bella.

Thanks for the advice Badrul. Really appreciate it. Sure does help me in making better decision especially coming from you.. Your Bella is a thing of beauty:love:.. I had considered buying it but it was a tough choice between your Beautiful Bella :love: or downpayment for a new house. :banghead:

Dude, suggest you get a complete car.... E38 electronics is something of a dark science/art.....

ha... playing with this car calls for a loss of patience, endless sleep, nightmares to start before you sleep and to top of it all, the mechanic is the most happiest person, if he in the end decides to call it quits..

1. firstly, finding a IL based 728i will be diamond in the sea, with the longshaft and gearbox headache..

2. spending a 10k plus a 200% overun is 300% possible.. the amount of wires, grounding, ecu's is a nightmare to fix, to really cap it all - grounding not right, the car will give you headache which you will not able to pin point. the other thing, pulling wires from the donor halfcut will stretch the wires or split them of which you wont know - brittle is the word.

3. or plonk in a jap heart to have fun, which is not right, but a fun car to have...(i hope you wont do it), but finding a engine to fix in, is much better.

cheers...

pussy;719088 said:
ha... playing with this car calls for a loss of patience, endless sleep, nightmares to start before you sleep and to top of it all, the mechanic is the most happiest person, if he in the end decides to call it quits..

1. firstly, finding a IL based 728i will be diamond in the sea, with the longshaft and gearbox headache..

2. spending a 10k plus a 200% overun is 300% possible.. the amount of wires, grounding, ecu's is a nightmare to fix, to really cap it all - grounding not right, the car will give you headache which you will not able to pin point. the other thing, pulling wires from the donor halfcut will stretch the wires or split them of which you wont know - brittle is the word.

3. or plonk in a jap heart to have fun, which is not right, but a fun car to have...(i hope you wont do it), but finding a engine to fix in, is much better.

cheers...

Wow.. now i'm really think hard whether to do this or not.. heavier on the not side.. rest assured, am not the kinda guy who'll plonk in a jap heart into a bimmer.. The heart makes the car.. Bimmer body + Jap heart = 50% Bimmer? Something wrong with the equation... at least that's what i believe.. hehehe..

My advise is to go ahead, but nego for 15 or less. steering box is a standard spec for all E38, regardless of what engine u have. Air suspension can be direct retro to normal absorber. What else? hehe

Wiring might be some issue later, and make sure u change everything according to 6 cylinder stuff, including the speedometer, but...since it's the iL version, might as well hunt for the 4.4 v8 and declare to XX litre :) As what mr pussy said, the longshaft have to mod for the 2.8 engine.

2.8 litre has the single and double vanos engine, up to ur preference and and budget.

And somehow, if ur mech can guaranteed it'll be a 10k add on for the engine, go ahead....!

Bro kalau tak mau, i dun mind to take peek at it.. I have most of the stuff already anyway. Just to confirm is this a m60 or m62?

picture%5C219254983133.jpg

alantiong;719365 said:
I have a M60 engine.. Any takers?

Hi Alan, got sad news. My mech just called to informed that the car had just been bought by one his customer just before lunch today. The buyer came, looked around, liked it and pay in-full.

1st come, 1st served.. Just in case if you're wondering, the original engine is M60.

Hi All,

Just to informed that the car has been sold earlier today. Hope that the new owner will restore the car to its former glory.

Would like to take this opportunity to thank all for your comments and inputs earlier. Really appreciate it. :top:

Dear Moderators,

Please feel free to close this thread.

Many thanks. :top:

Top Bottom