523i or 528i sport

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Hillgosh;689613 said:
Ming, please take note that 520d is not in the 5 years warranty scheme. I think it is only for the 3, x1, 523 & 528 only. Maybe because the 520d waiting list too long.

Aiya.... now the 520d not so attractive anymore :(

520d waiting time is not that long if u r not choosy on the colours.

Bro Ming

Like many have said, If you dont want to suffer a great depreciation, take a second hand car/ Pre owned.
Some ppl are adamant of getting brand spanking new, some only gets used car.
All cars ( new) will depreciate irregardless of brand and location you are in.
The magnitude is about the same. In UK, ONCE you collect your new car and drive out the dealership, is 25% depreciated.
most people will say good resale value if you still can achieve 40% of your price after 3 years of ownership

Typical example.
Brand New 318I Sport Manual (E90) in UK list price : 22k GBP, Discount and haggling, maybe sub 20k
Once collected and drive out for the first few weeks. 16K GBP
3 years on and 40k Miles on- 9995 GBP.

point is, what sort of people are you?
The one that value money more and concern about dep, get a preowned BMW with Warranty.
The first guy before you will get the most hit!

Mid level exec car

F10 520d-Pro: Value for money, good spec, good efficiency. Con: Some people are fearful of Diesel maintainence in long run
F10 523i: Good spec, good efficiency for petrol and compare to e60 523i, quiet and smooth ride, Legendary BMW IL6. Con: 50k More expensive than diesel and doesnt go as quick. Replacing soon ( Could be a pro for some one)
F10 528i ( IL6): as above with much potent engine, M sport kit ( Have to change out wheels la....) Con, 70K extra from 523I! ( That sums it all)

Overall, Most logic will ask you to choose 520d unless you cannot absolutely drive a DIESEL! and unsure about future maitainence of such oil burner motor.
( Be fair, Has heard about too much Diesel calamities already after 3-4 years ownership)

Other options at cheaper price:
in BMW context

E66 730LI- Look imposing and shout, GIVE WAY YOU MERE MORTALS!
exclusive looks and gain much more head turns and respect than your daily run to mill 3 and 5.
( Ask your Jaga )

E60 525i/ 520D/530i
Modern enough and when don with M sport kit, wheels and interior.. still a sight to behold. Love the driveability but mine was catastrophic to maintain it...

ck318ci;689663 said:
Mid level exec car

F10 520d-Pro: Value for money, good spec, good efficiency. Con: Some people are fearful of Diesel maintainence in long run
F10 523i: Good spec, good efficiency for petrol and compare to e60 523i, quiet and smooth ride, Legendary BMW IL6. Con: 50k More expensive than diesel and doesnt go as quick. Replacing soon ( Could be a pro for some one)
F10 528i ( IL6): as above with much potent engine, M sport kit ( Have to change out wheels la....) Con, 70K extra from 523I! ( That sums it all)

Overall, Most logic will ask you to choose 520d unless you cannot absolutely drive a DIESEL! and unsure about future maitainence of such oil burner motor.
( Be fair, Has heard about too much Diesel calamities already after 3-4 years ownership)

Other options at cheaper price:
in BMW context

E66 730LI- Look imposing and shout, GIVE WAY YOU MERE MORTALS!
exclusive looks and gain much more head turns and respect than your daily run to mill 3 and 5.
( Ask your Jaga )

E60 525i/ 520D/530i
Modern enough and when don with M sport kit, wheels and interior.. still a sight to behold. Love the driveability but mine was catastrophic to maintain it...

Thanks for the good summary. Actually the resale value is not a worry for me. I am not buying a car for investment but i want a good value car but i also want nice good power .... difficult.

Now that 520d has no 5 year warranty, it is not so attractive to me anymore, i am willing to wait months for a car if need be, no problem.

528i is interesting and now with some discount and 5 year warranty makes me want to buy it. When will the 4 cylinders turbo cars for 5 series coming out. I understand that they perform better and might even be cheaper. I dont want to buy a 528i and next year a new better car comes out at better price ... heart painful to bear.

DJH;689665 said:
or be a traitor and go for 4 rings or 3 pointed star, hehehe

I almost went for an Audi A5 four door sportback but scared about warranty and recon cars. MB is nice and comfortable but style just dont suit my liking.

ming;689676 said:
Thanks for the good summary. Actually the resale value is not a worry for me. I am not buying a car for investment but i want a good value car but i also want nice good power .... difficult.

Now that 520d has no 5 year warranty, it is not so attractive to me anymore, i am willing to wait months for a car if need be, no problem.

528i is interesting and now with some discount and 5 year warranty makes me want to buy it. When will the 4 cylinders turbo cars for 5 series coming out. I understand that they perform better and might even be cheaper. I dont want to buy a 528i and next year a new better car comes out at better price ... heart painful to bear.

New models are almost never cheaper. If you can afford it, go for the current legendary 6 cylinders 528i.

ming;689447 said:
......i have test drive the 523i which was comfortable and handling nice but happen to notice that the car feels heavy and movement not as quick.

...... I like a car that can dash around quickly in the city with burst of speed. I did not consider the 3 series because i want more passenger space and comfort.

Hi Ming,

Not long ago I was trapped in the same dilemma as you only that my options were one notch down i.e. it was either 523i and 520d. I know 520d is not in your intended list but I just want to share my test drive experience with you and hope that you don't mind. I've tested the both 523i and 520d twice on different occassions and the feel that 523i gave me was exactly the same as how you describeb it above. However the 520d really offered a total different driving experience to me. I don't want to repeat here as it has been mentioned over and over again in other threads. In short, 520d will definely satisfy your requirement of "a car that can dash around quickly in the city with burst of speed" as you stated above. I suggest when you go for a test drive (or two, like me), do test the 520d as well before you make a decision.

Test drive 3 times any car.....everybody always wants to buy the first time they test any car....
You dated for how long before you married your spouse?
Same principle......just here, you not shy to ask for advice on forum.
With girlfriend, boyfriend......all the ex-es will give all sorts of 'advice' and some even put up naughty pics taken in Bali etc....

Actually i plan to buy the 523i this weekend but thanks to this forum i was introduce to 520d. I will definitely give it a go. My wife now wants it because it is cheap. But now i found out warranty is not five years so there is no rush to get it soon. I need to test drive the 528i this weekend and feel how good it is. Otherwise i will wait till next year ... :(

Agree with the doc - the N52B30 engine is really that: A LEGEND. It's not Bavaria's workhorse for nothing. Many will mourn the passing of the NA IL6, due to more stringent emission requirements.

ming;689685 said:
Actually i plan to buy the 523i this weekend but thanks to this forum i was introduce to 520d. I will definitely give it a go. My wife now wants it because it is cheap. But now i found out warranty is not five years so there is no rush to get it soon. I need to test drive the 528i this weekend and feel how good it is. Otherwise i will wait till next year ... :(

If I'm not mistaken, the extended 5-year BSRI is a year-end promotion that is valid for November and December only. I think it will fall back to the standard 3-year BSRI comes 1-1-2012.

Yes thats why i want it by this december.

Just curious ... how important is this 5 year warranty as compared to 3 year warranty? Do BMW cars break down a lot after 3 years? I plan on using this car for weekend drives and holidays.

Buying a car is a visceral-gut instinct thing.....advice, promotions, freebies are only the fringe distractions. Get into the car, floor it, throw it into corners....let your heart speak to you. And do it 3 times on 3 separate days for each car (racheltoh will kill me cos she bought her boyfren without test drive even). ha ha! just like us doctors, take blood pressure 3 times on 3 different days before diagnose a patient to be hypertensive.

ming;689689 said:
Yes thats why i want it by this december.

Just curious ... how important is this 5 year warranty as compared to 3 year warranty? Do BMW cars break down a lot after 3 years? I plan on using this car for weekend drives and holidays.

As with most things in life, the answer is not so straightforward, and may depend on:

a. What's your usage like? Are you (like me) a lazy cruiser, or are you Michael Schumacher in disguise on the roads? Or, in Singaporean-speak: Are you an Uncle, or are you a Cheongster?
b. What's your maintenance like? Do you take care of the car regularly, schedule all the oil changes & checks on time, use good quality engine oil etc?
c. How good/trustworthy is your Service technician/Mechanic?
d. Did you end up getting a Lemon or not? No cure for lemons, sorry.

And what doc said makes A LOT of sense - as much as you want to do all the practical, pragmatic calculations prior to making a plunge for a car, at the end of the day, your HEART will speak louder than your head.

I mean, honestly, if it weren't your heart making such a ruckus, why not consider a Toyota Camry? It's also a mid-sized exec sedan, 4 doors, 4 wheels + a spare, and probably heaps cheaper to maintain (because of ample 3rd party workshops & spare parts). It's your heart, mate ... and, perhaps at this point in your life, you are tempted to listen to it :)

Good luck!

docrayboy;689691 said:
Buying a car is a visceral-gut instinct thing.....advice, promotions, freebies are only the fringe distractions. Get into the car, floor it, throw it into corners....let your heart speak to you. And do it 3 times on 3 separate days for each car (racheltoh will kill me cos she bought her boyfren without test drive even). ha ha! just like us doctors, take blood pressure 3 times on 3 different days before diagnose a patient to be hypertensive.

Thanks doc. Good advice! Follow the heart and not the other distractions.

Top Bottom