320i 2005 - Engine Shuts Down While Driving !!

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

nizan1979

Club Guest
Was driving to work this morning on MRR2, suddenly my ABS warning light came up, then the DSC/DTC warning light, then RFT warning light and finally gearbox warning light (red color with exclamation mark), then suddenly engine shut down to complete stop. Tried few times to restart but to no avail. Luckily a tow truck passed by few minutes later, then managed to get my car towed to German Mechanics.As of 6 pm today just before the shop closed, my car still cannot restart and they still can't determine what has gone wrong.Please help.....:hmmmm2::hmmmm2::hmmmm2::hmmmm2:

Sounds like an ECU shutdown. Pray that it's software-related, but could be hardware, which will be costly to replace. If your mechanic can't fix it by tomorrow, better tow it to an authorised dealer.

Fault reading can still be viewed from laptop connected to car port. If ECU fail, I thought you won't be able to read anything? Not sure, I don't really know how it works.

Does your wiper turn on by itself? I had a simillar problem just last 2 weeks. All lights went on and engine couldnt start. Fault seems to be the DSC unit which costs a bomb to replace. Apparently this is a common problem in 05 to 07 models of the e90.
Wonder why there wasnt a recall on this though.

mrfusyi, I had no issue with the wiper and lights. Did you replace the DSC unit? How much did it cost you?

Anyway, update for today. My car still couldn't start. All sensors and mechanical are OK and today isolated to wiring problem. Suspected that the sub-woofer which I installed 8 months ago is giving problem and messed up the car's electrical system. Going there again tomorrow morning to see if any good progress.

Just got a call from the workshop and they said it is the starter generator. Going there shortly to see it..

Finally got my car back last Friday afternoon. Total damage was RM8.3k..:13::13:.

Below are the items replaced related to this problem:

1. Replaced Starter Motor
2. Replaced Hoses for Ventilation Valve
3. Replaced Ventilation Valve
4. Replaced Crank Shaft Sensor
5. Replaced Brake Switch
6. Repaired Ignition Key Housing
7. Repaired Ignition Key ECU
8. Diagnosed & Reset CAS System

nizan1979;624081 said:
Below are the items replaced related to this problem:

1. Replaced Starter Motor
2. Replaced Hoses for Ventilation Valve
3. Replaced Ventilation Valve
4. Replaced Crank Shaft Sensor
5. Replaced Brake Switch
6. Repaired Ignition Key Housing
7. Repaired Ignition Key ECU
8. Diagnosed & Reset CAS System

Wow! :eek: Stater motor issue need to change so many things one ah? Quite costly...

Ayoo so many parts affected ..
How much do you have to fork out?

5k plus for this fix, and plus some other fix came to more than 8k. Been using this car less than a year. I bought this car second hand, so I guess luck was not on my side. Don't know what's next.

:banghead::banghead::banghead: My car cannot start again. Guessing the same problem with Starter Motor....arghhhhhhh...

nizan1979;650165 said:
:banghead::banghead::banghead: My car cannot start again. Guessing the same problem with Starter Motor....arghhhhhhh...

Sorry to hear that bro, any warranty given by the mechanic for the fixes they done before?
Oh, where did you buy your car? second hand dealer?

Need to arrange a tow truck tomorrow from Subang to Melawati back to the same mechanic. Lucky this time it happened at the office car park and not in the middle of the road.:mad:

Astronyu;650182 said:
Sorry to hear that bro, any warranty given by the mechanic for the fixes they done before?
Oh, where did you buy your car? second hand dealer?

I hope they will give my warranty. If not my pocket will 'koyak'

Bought mine from second hand dealer, Chang Sang Motors Cheras.:banghead:

nizan1979;620667 said:
mrfusyi, I had no issue with the wiper and lights. Did you replace the DSC unit? How much did it cost you?

Anyway, update for today. My car still couldn't start. All sensors and mechanical are OK and today isolated to wiring problem. Suspected that the sub-woofer which I installed 8 months ago is giving problem and messed up the car's electrical system. Going there again tomorrow morning to see if any good progress.

Bro base on your description will it be the messed up wiring system which drain off your battery and effect u couldn't start your car. Do u check your battery charging and alternator condition.

Wow..sorry to hear about your car bro..i am sure the mech will give you some sort of warrnty,but of course from your own pocket again..
i think the mechanic didnt know what was the actual caused,hence replacing the'whole' parts !!
Neway..please keep us update yea!

Why dont u send back to AB to find out what actual cause of problem and get some advice from them before further repair.
i belive they r helpful,especially in segambut branch,otherwise there's no end and keep cost you a bomb ...bro

Schwepps;620204 said:
Sounds like an ECU shutdown. Pray that it's software-related, but could be hardware, which will be costly to replace. If your mechanic can't fix it by tomorrow, better tow it to an authorised dealer.

Sorry to hear of your predicament nizan .....

I believe it is a software related issue bro. Happen to my E60 early this month, same case like nizan1979.. Had the whole shopping mall jammed packed as the car stalled right infront of the exit (the only exit) ... waited almost 2 hours for the overloader to come. In between waiting had tried to start but to no avail. After abt 2 hrs, I tried starting again and it "fired", based on experience, I held on to the pedal for abt 1 minute to "reset" ...and till today my E60 is purring very nicely .....all I can really say is, I hv been very lucky ... :top:

nizan1979;650165 said:

Bro, try to leave the car for awhile :25:(dont mess wiht it for the time being) and try coming back after a few hours, than try starting it back ....:63: .....

Top Bottom