3 Series F30 320i Vs 328i

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Chee Huat

Club Guest
I did a comparison side by side in BMW Malaysia's web page.View attachment 27652Both F30 320i and 328i are 4 cylinders and have the engine capacity: 1997ccAre they sharing the same engine?Look at the Stroke/bore also the same 90.1/84.0 mmSo what is the difference between these 2 BMW in term of the power train?Is it just the ECU?Does it means that we can retrofit or remaping the ECU for F30 320i, and it will transform to 328i with the same engine performance?

Chee Huat;797162 said:
I did a comparison side by side in BMW Malaysia's web page.

View attachment 27652

Both F30 320i and 328i are 4 cylinders and have the engine capacity: 1997cc

Are they sharing the same engine?

Look at the Stroke/bore also the same 90.1/84.0 mm

So what is the difference between these 2 BMW in term of the power train?
Is it just the ECU?

Does it means that we can retrofit or remaping the ECU for F30 320i, and it will transform to 328i
with the same engine performance?

I don't think it's just the mapping. If it's just the map, no one would want to pay the extra $50k for 328i and BMW is not so stupid. I read somewhere that the compression ratio and the internal component are different.

328i has lower compression ratio to cope with higher boost pressure from slightly bigger turbine.

jennypenny;797187 said:
different size turbo.

and also the gearbox is different.

I didn't know that the gearbox is different. Will check it out. Thanks for pointing out.

Difference between the two models.

PN for 320i propshaft w/automatic gearbox:
26 11 7 609 365
PN for 328i propshaft w/automatic gearbox:
26 10 7 632 653

Found out that overseas the 320i and 328i also have different brake rotor sizes but it varies from region to region. Also found that some countries the compression ratio is the same between 320i and 328i depending on the fuel quality. Headers for the engine is different between the models to suit the different turbos.

I think some of the difference lies in the extras as well. Like you guys have said, BMW isn't stupid when it comes to pricing. So besides just the engine, they included a few other interior and accessory stuff that brings the 328i above the 320i. (I remember reading it somewhere, but can't recall which exactly).

Ultimately, if you added all the additions to the 320i, you'll still end up paying more than the price of the 328i.

Chee Huat;797522 said:
Is it possible to convert 320i to 328i ? :)

Or course it is possible depends how much you willing to spend. Cheapskate way just change the badge.

yea, change to 335i better.

wait, just change to "M"

the most popular thing amongst BMW drivers nowadays.

splee;797532 said:
Or course it is possible depends how much you willing to spend. Cheapskate way just change the badge.

jennypenny;797536 said:

wait, just change to "M"

Hahaha! I like both you all's sense of humor.

But seriously is it possible to retrofit 320i to 328i (F30)?

jennypenny;797536 said:

wait, just change to "M"

Truly said! Almost all BMW drivers nowadays want to put the M-badge

Top Bottom