1996 728i (E38) Restoration - My Journey

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Bro Pussy....hehehehehe!!! Not so sure about show car, there is much to be done to get there man. At the moment, its only bringing it back to the state a glorified E38 should be in :rock: Save some mooooolah, then embark on the heart transplant :burnout:

Bro Andrew - thanks for the paint info bro. Yeah, am learning alot via this restoration process. Playing cars is an expensive pasttime bro. Need to find supplementary income!!! heheheheh

On ICE project, sounds good bro. No prob, can tumpang my thread anytime. We are all here to care and share : ) Not sure bout keeping cost to a minimal with headrest screen and wireless headphones ; ) Factory amp can be used. Replace with single DIN can, Maxu has done it. Not sure about relocating the RDS though. If you go to Auto gadget they will draw schematics for you and explain the process and options. Very pro my friend!!! Very pro. Prices also reasonable, not as cheap as Brothers and not as expensive as KK Lau :wink:

Phai Iceman - official member?? I thought I was already on the forum and one of the "machas"???? hehehehehe. But I like the khana pina part. Translation = booze, booze and more booze :rock:

Here are some pictures of the prep and spray job......enjoy

hehehehe.....colour is yet to be revealed. This is the 2nd base coat. After this, the desired colour is sprayed, then sanded down. Thereafter resprayed with pearl and than buffed to bring out colour + pearl :smokin:

Bro, since your car already in the workshop, wanna consider this? :rock: :wink: :rock:

I know I'm evil, give u so much poison... bwahahah!!

Bro me too keen on where you getting this done. I would like to get my E34 refurbish too. Pls advice. Cheers.

andrewk;528985 said:
Bro, since your car already in the workshop, wanna consider this? :rock: :wink: :rock:

I know I'm evil, give u so much poison... bwahahah!!

Hiyo bro!!!! This is too much poison...for that price I am bloody tempted man...what about road tax...can I continue to pay 2.8 rates and not 4.0????? My car is already running on a 740 DCM (ECU).........

But will need to deal with brake pads/calipers, arms, bushed etc...........

Man I am now itchy!!!!

smike;528994 said:
Bro me too keen on where you getting this done. I would like to get my E34 refurbish too. Pls advice. Cheers.

Bro Smike,

Its all in the thread bro...all in the thread :rock:

Matt silver is very nice. i was thinking to do that on my e32.... hmmmmm

Serjit, for the sound system, I got a very cheap way out by getting a USB thumb drive transmitter for only RM17.00 Plug in the transmitter to our ciggarette lighter point and tune one station (from the car tuner) to receive the transmission. Add a 4GB thumb drive and you will have endless songs to listen to. They also have transmitter to adapt an Ipod. Sound quality is nothing magical but for such peanut prices and nil modifications we couldn't expect more.

Vincent Hor;529733 said:
Serjit, for the sound system, I got a very cheap way out by getting a USB thumb drive transmitter for only RM17.00 Plug in the transmitter to our ciggarette lighter point and tune one station (from the car tuner) to receive the transmission. Add a 4GB thumb drive and you will have endless songs to listen to. They also have transmitter to adapt an Ipod. Sound quality is nothing magical but for such peanut prices and nil modifications we couldn't expect more.

Bro - actually I am itchy lor.....hehehehehe. Looking for the excuse to upgrade system :rock:

Update @ 5th June 2010

Spent all am with the car at the sprayer, seeing that it is a public holiday. The boys were working hard with what must be almost 15 of them on about 30 cars!!! George is really busy liao!!!!

Progress is great. With the work and patience they are putting into the car, it clearly explains why it takes almost 3 weeks to repaint. During my last 10 days there, I have seen 3 E38's already, come and go for minor touch ups. Some guys just dont take care of their beauties man!!! It's a real shame.....

Anyhow, back to the topic. It sure is alot of work. Now I understand what differentiates the pros from the wannabes, who can respray an entire car in a week!!! After 1 month, colour fade lor, sealant start to peel lor, etc etc etc

Whilst undertaking thorough spot check to ensure all nooks and crannies are sprayed, touched up etc, I spotted the following on the rear left disc brake.......is this normal?

Cheerio - S

kgb;529674 said:
Matt silver is very nice. i was thinking to do that on my e32.... hmmmmm

Not so sure bro....it looks nice in the pics. But when I saw it, it looks like a tin can la!!! hahahahahah!!!! But then again, paint choice and colour is very subjective....one's joy is another's pain!!! There is an Xtrail there being painted, army stripes in matt!!!!

Vincent Hor;530084 said:
Check your brake pads. If the pads are still good then it must have been a previous problem.

Yeah, will do that. Once all this restoration work is complete, it goes in to Albert for a once over on some of the items that I have not had a chance to work on, incl this. Looks strange, as if some object has been working at digging into the disc........

Update @ 9th June 2010 @ 8pm

Spent a couple of hours at George' after work today. It was pouring cats and dogs in Damansara, so car was being worked out under the shade. Paintjob is complete :rock: When I went it around 6pm, the car had been polished and buffed, a process which took 2 days after a thorough sanding. They gave the car a solid wash, and thereafter I saw the shine and streak and a resemblence of mirror finish. George assures me, that the paint needs to cure and it will look at least 3 times better than what it is now with the right detailing, process and product.

Tomorrow final touches on the car, a complete fix back of the parts and a final once over to ensure everything is in order. On Friday am, car gets a wash first, then a polish and wax job combo. Thereafter it is ready to roll to Central Cushion for the interior, which has been waiting for the past 3 days...:cool:

By Tues/Wed next week, interior will be completely fitted, then it is off to the ICE dude for an upgrade of sounds and a new tint job. By Thurs, with the detailer for interior clean and late that evening (god willing), you will see my posts.....with the first set of pictures unveiled :rock:

Awesome!!!! Thanks for all the support and encouragement dudes, and not forgetting the racun of many:wink: Without it, none of this would have happened!!!!

Cheerio

Finally, the paintjob is complete after 17 days of misery!!!! I am very pleased as it has turned out as I had expected it too. I am very happy with George and his boys and I would recommend them to anyone who is looking for a good paintjob, done professionally that is not gonna cost you an arm and a leg.

Here are some pictures and what must be "racun" for die hard fans :rock:

All comments welcomed, good or bad :wink:

Car is now at Central Cushion and on Wed next week goes back to George for final touch up post interior job....in case there are marks/abrasion etc. Now this is what I call service.

Thereafter, the ICE project begins and off to the detailer to bring out that shine and mirror finish. My phone camera is poor and does not do justice to the colour. The shade is way more vivid than what is appears in the photos below. I need to borrow a DSLR from a friend and take some much deserved shots soon......

More pics below

Top Bottom