Worrying issues of the 3 Series

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

chris2000

Club Guest
Hi guys...Lots of worrying yet interesting issues i find out about the E46 from this forum...I am considering buying over my brother's CKD BMW E46 328 year 2000 and i will still have time to think and consider till next week before he dispose it to the used car.I have driven the CKDs E46 318 1.9 and 328, and i got say i do like the E46 328 alot as it has sufficient power for road use and yet handles pretty well for a stock car and comfy and has 4 doors. :)But what i read about the E46 gearbox is scary. :eek: http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/inde...?showtopic=9440http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/inde...?showtopic=4206My brother's E46 328 is on its 6th year and the car has cover 90+k km. After the warranty period, all my brother did was just normal engine oil + filter change every 10k - 15k km.He has not done any transmission or rear diff oil change!!! This worry really worries me as i do not want to be stranded with a RM10k overhaul on these boxes... :ph34r: And what is expansion tank that i notice alot of members are changing??And what are the possible things that need to be changed as a preventive measure for a car approaching the 100k km mileage??Thanks for the advice guys!! :yes:

Hi Chris,

Expansion tank is unavoidable due to it's plastic in nature. Averagely it can last 3-7 years. Most of us encounter crack on this Exp tank & the whole radiator need to be changed as it comes in one! Cost from RM600- RM1000 depending on type of car.

On gearbox, I have to pass on to other sifus ;)

Its wise to expect that maintenance on the E46 6 pot to be high once it hits 5 years and 100+k kms. Question is how high??

I remember a few forummers here with 6 pot E46's doing about 150k kms on the odo. Maybe they can share better.

Mine's 61+k kms now... Inspection 2 coming up in another 3k kms and I expect it to hit around RM6-8k at least. Oil level sensor, Ball joint, expansion tank, bearing, bushing, thermostat, fuel filter, battery? i think all have to change on top of the normal inspection 2.

Originally posted by tongsatriani@Apr 25 2006, 01:50 AM
Hi Chris,

Expansion tank is unavoidable due to it's plastic in nature. Averagely it can last 3-7 years. Most of us encounter crack on this Exp tank & the whole radiator need to be changed as it comes in one! Cost from RM600- RM1000 depending on type of car.

Expansion tank was separate from radiator...don't give false information. Crack expansion tank..you only have to change the expansion tank not the radiator and it's only cost RM300 including labour. Expansion tank normally need to change at avery 60k km as a preventive maintenance. Hope this will help. cheers.

I heard this before, if u have to ask for the cost of maintanance, than u cannot afford to drive it.

Just kidding borther, get it lah, it's not just a car, but a lifestyle.

ya

more than a car

it is an ultimate driving machine

more than a life style

MY MIKO...i m lovin't

lol

Aiyo, u all so technical... me... I like to think if my UDM as a very expensive but attractive girlfriend! BUT not wife, cos GF can upgrade later ma!

get it lah...After all it has been driven by your own brother so i guess any problem or symton you can always refer back to him..if buy from other..i don't think thy will reveal any negative information from you..thr is no guanrantee if you buy from others the gearbox are been serviced well...well thy can claim all sort of things you want to hear..but in reality you never know.. :p

Originally posted by mini_jeff67@Apr 25 2006, 05:12 PM
Aiyo, u all so technical... me... I like to think if my UDM as a very expensive but attractive girlfriend! BUT not wife, cos GF can upgrade later ma!
:D :D :D :D

The real question now is, do u want a super model as a girlfriend or just another kampong girl?

For supermodel, u need to by SKII, GK and all those gaget, and somemore have to dine in expansive rest. etc. For kampong, she will cook, wash for u, no need makeup, clothing buy from pasar malam. So u need to make a choice.

Super model = UDM
Kampong girl = Toyota :D no offence.

Originally posted by mini_jeff67@Apr 25 2006, 05:23 PM
Daan, Toyota = city girl liaw.
Kampong girl = Proton!
ok ok,

Toyota = city aunty............... :D

You know what, instead of asking a bunch of desk jockeys what the chances are of your brother's 328 going kaput, why don't you take it down to a good mechanic's and have him take a look at it before deciding?

Like any of us will be able to properly diagnose the condition of your brother's car from over here.

Thanks guys for your replies...

Because it's my brother, that is why he told me that he had not don't any of the major preventive maintainance.. So it kinda worry me due to the fact that his car his 90k+ km. He did had some stuff change during the 1st 3 year owning it and all done AB, but since then it was just normal engine oil service. He is trying find back his old bills in AB to see what had been changed.

the car is totally stock and brother drive really slow and hardly even push the car..

I just don't want to end up with a car that will be needing lots of repairs that cost a bomb, cause i'm already spending quite a bit on my current Honda Intergra DC2 that i used for track...

necessary,

I did take the 328 to my mechanic friend to have a look and check the car..

And he says the car is fine, engine seems normal, transmission a bit sluggish but no major sign of failure, no apparent oil leak at all cause engine bay as well as the bottom no wet oil stain.

Other then a couple of scratches here and there and slightly worn out interior, thats really about it.. No accident and paint work is still the original BMW Silver. But a bit dull already..

Originally posted by mini_jeff67@Apr 25 2006, 05:38 PM
Well, if car's maintained at AB, they should have a full service record, right?
But he hasn't been to AB for the last 2-3 years already.. U think they might still have the old records?

Yes they would.... Can ask your bro to get a printout from AB, but there wont be much to go with if its small maint here and there. Anything which was swapped then will likely have to be swapped again in the next couple of years of ownership.

If you're used to spending on cars, then its not so much of a culture shock la... Can just go with it.

I bought a 2000 328i mileage 85k km this Feb and I fixed up the engine (check the maintenance thread). If the car has no oil leak then the cost to fix it up should be similar to mine because my car doesn't have any oil leak too. The previous owner already fix it up.

Top Bottom