Weird E34 temperature incident!

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
I do hope this little expensive endeavour of mine can help you guys save some money whenever something weird like that happens to you. Could have just replaced the thermostat for RM30 DIY but then my radiator may rupture when I least expect it. Or something like that. :D

Hey Mr Sprocket, you're absoultely right. I need another 50bhp!!! How ah? Put in a 2.8 and stamp on the existing engine number on the new block ah? Cheapest way lah bro. Any ideas? :p

i had a similar problem,
one day the thermostat reading went more than 3/4
took no chances n went straight to a local mechanic of mine
changed the waterpump n as i expected,that was the cause of the problem
nowadays my thermostat reading is just a little under 1/4.
way cool..but hey thanx for sharing the info wit us

n one more thing,i'm oso interested on upping the hp on my ride
slap in 2.8?hell yeah,but would that be costly?
confirm power punya kan..haha

wud love to hear ideas from sifus

Hey Azman,

Yup! You know what they say "There's no replacement for displacement"

I would like a 2.8 lump or even beyond 3.0 cos you really can't tell if it's a 2.0 or a 3.0 as it's still a M50 block. Thus road tax no change (hint)

For those of you complaining that your car lacks power in a traffic jam, I have good news! Yesterday I was stuck in the federal highway for more than 1 hour and at the end of the jam I floored the throttle and the car unleashed it's full (but puny) 150bhp with a chirp from the rear wheels without hesitation like I experienced before the repairs.

I think you guys should think about running 71 degree thermostats in our climate and make sure your fan clutch is in good shape as the auxilary fan only kicks in close to boiling temperature thus useless in a jam. Also bleed bleed and bleed your radiator. Once done you won't experience sluggish performance in traffic jams anymore! Oh yeah!!! :yes!:

p/s: I used to have petrol smell in my car in a hot traffic jam but now it's totally gone too.

Originally posted by bimmerman@Nov 21 2005, 09:13 AM
OK guys, I took the car out for a few hot laps around the neighbourhood and when I came to a stop, the temperature began to rise again to the 3/4 mark. Popped open the hood and the temperature dropped 1 notch.

I think it was a random incident. The Thermostat was sticky and would still open but open too late thus the temperature will still drop a little and rise again to redline.

the fact that the auxillary fan doesn't turn at speed 1 (low speed), ie when aircond is on, i believe the resistor at the fan has blown. common problem for E34.

Top Bottom