VW Polo 1.6L vs BMW116i

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Status
Not open for further replies.

funfer_fahrer

Club Guest
Hello members, I am going through the process of puchasing a second car. The wifey is going to use it most of the time with grocery and school runs. My sacred 5 series will remain sacred, hoping to spend more intimate time with the owner. The car must fit the following criteria: 1. It is got to be another German car.2. It should fall under "start and go" category. 3. It can take all kinds of everyday abuses.4. It is a safe car. And I already narrow it down to two - The 5-door VW Polo and 116i. Here are the detais: VW Polo 1.6L - RM125K, 1.6L 77kW, 6 speed auto, max speed 187km/hr. versus BMW116i - RM??? (no idea), 1.6L 85kW, 6 speed auto, max speed 200km/hr. Anybody has ever test drive any of those two cars? Your comment is very much appreciated. Thank you for your time.:)

how abt the vw golf 1.6 fsi?
rm150k or thereabouts, 85kW, 6 speed auto.

hee hee....

Since u have felt a bimmer i guess d VW Polo 1.6L is d next best thing to it.Read a few reviews on d Polo and i think its a good buy.Drove both cars before and I found d handling is great on d VW and also spacious for 2 adults and 4kids.Cornering is great..it looks and feel more like a sports hatchback rather then d 116i..I would go for d VW anytime if i had extra greens....

VW is getting aggressive in terms of marketing now... go to any VW showroom in town and they'll be happy to let u test drive the car...

to be honest, the 1 series does feel a little small although it does handle pretty well. let your wife do the driving and let her choose.

I've rented the Golf a couple of times. Never got a chance to drive a Polo. The Golf 2.0 GTi is nice but the price is entering the 3 series territory. Considering the power to weight ratio, I guess the 1.6L Polo can perform.

must compare ciku to ciku mah... i thot dat the 116i is almost rm200k??

I believe the 116i does not come with automatic transmission.

Price-wise, I understand that BMW has pre-registered 2005 116is going for about RM148,000.00. Very low mileage but I was told they are the batch which got stuck in Port Kelang because of the AP problem, and have been refurbished by BMW Malaysia.

I think the 116i's natural competitor is the Golf and not quite the Polo (the Polo's natural rivals are the Skoda Fabia, Honda Jazz, Toyota Yaris, Fiat Punto, Suzuki Swift and the like).

wglee said:
I believe the 116i does not come with automatic transmission.

Price-wise, I understand that BMW has pre-registered 2005 116is going for about RM148,000.00. Very low mileage but I was told they are the batch which got stuck in Port Kelang because of the AP problem, and have been refurbished by BMW Malaysia.

I think the 116i's natural competitor is the Golf and not quite the Polo (the Polo's natural rivals are the Skoda Fabia, Honda Jazz, Toyota Yaris, Fiat Punto, Suzuki Swift and the like).

The New Polo will be arriving in our shores in February. So far, no demo car yet. The entry level for the Golf is the 1.6L 6 speed. The cream of the cream is of course, the Gti. The former is going to cost around 160K while the latter is 200K. Performance wise, the Golf Gti should be the rival for the 130i. But price wise, I think the Golf 1.6 should face the 116i. I think 1.6 Golf shares the same engine with the 1.6 Polo. The engine is mated with a proper 6 speed transmission, not just some CVT stuff claiming to be 7 speed. Isn't that a cool combination? Considering power to weight ratio I think the 1.6 Polo is going to be fun to drive.

If I'm not mistaken, a brand new 116i is retailing at around RM176k.

wglee said:
If I'm not mistaken, a brand new 116i is retailing at around RM176k.

If that is the case, it can fight head on with Golf 1.6 (RM164K). The 12K difference is for the white/blue emblem.

for me, the rear wheel drive dynamics of bmw's in general are still the main drawing factor. even the latest audi's just don't do it for me. On paper, they're very close, even on par or better.. but thats only on paper ;)

just my 2 cents.

Consider the spec below:

BMW116i - 115 hp, 5 speed manual - RM169K
BMW118i - 180 hp, 6 speed auto w steptronic - RM200K
BMW120i - 150 hp, 6 speed auto w steptronic - RM223K

The BMW118i is actually the rival for VW Golf GTi. BMW116i, well, I don't know where it belongs. I don't even know why it exists in the the first place.

funfer_fahrer said:
Consider the spec below:

BMW116i - 115 hp, 5 speed manual - RM169K
BMW118i - 180 hp, 6 speed auto w steptronic - RM200K
BMW120i - 150 hp, 6 speed auto w steptronic - RM223K

The BMW118i is actually the rival for VW Golf GTi. BMW116i, well, I don't know where it belongs. I don't even know why it exists in the the first place.
the 118i has 129hp as opposed to 180 which u posted. but it has the same engine as the 120i but detuned..

funfer_fahrer said:
Hello members,

I am going through the process of puchasing a second car. The wifey is going to use it most of the time with grocery and school runs. My sacred 5 series will remain sacred, hoping to spend more intimate time with the owner. The car must fit the following criteria:

1. It is got to be another German car.
2. It should fall under "start and go" category.
3. It can take all kinds of everyday abuses.
4. It is a safe car.

And I already narrow it down to two - The 5-door VW Polo and 116i.

Here are the detais:

VW Polo 1.6L - RM125K, 1.6L 77kW, 6 speed auto, max speed 187km/hr.

versus

BMW116i - RM??? (no idea), 1.6L 85kW, 6 speed auto, max speed 200km/hr.

Anybody has ever test drive any of those two cars? Your comment is very much appreciated.

Thank you for your time.:)

bro..do u really need a German made 2nd car?? cuz looking at the prices,they seem rather exorbitant(tax la,apa lagi..kasi kat gov free2 je).there are many to choose from if u widen ur scope to non-German as well..and cheaper too.

but if u REALLY NEED a German 2nd car,i'd go for the Polo.gimme a tinker when u plan to go testdrive the Polo.i'm quite interested in the new Jetta..but will need a Turbo 2.0 with DSG if i'm gonna part with my Impreza.

supergripen said:
snipped

but if u REALLY NEED a German 2nd car,i'd go for the Polo.gimme a tinker when u plan to go testdrive the Polo.i'm quite interested in the new Jetta..but will need a Turbo 2.0 with DSG if i'm gonna part with my Impreza.

if u decided to part soon enuff with the ver8, pm me

supergripen said:
bro..do u really need a German made 2nd car?? cuz looking at the prices,they seem rather exorbitant(tax la,apa lagi..kasi kat gov free2 je).there are many to choose from if u widen ur scope to non-German as well..and cheaper too.

O'ol and I will be doing the test drive next month. Maybe, both of us gonna buy one. Remember back in 97 I almost bought a VW Golf from Auto Dunia. After that I met my wife. So, got to buy a house instead. Now is payback time!! The other non-Germans that is on my list are Honda Jazz, Mitsubishi Colt and Suzuki Swift. I've owned a Honda before. After a year, the "new car feel" was no longer there. So, I am trying to avoid Japs car that are currently available in the market at the moment unless it is a Toyota Prius, because this car makes a lot of sense. Will give you a tinker when the time comes. The more, the merrier.

i heard that vw cars are organising some event for test drive this weekend (20 January 2007) at their pj showroom 3s centre (jalan 219, of the federal carpark... ooops... meant highway). got GTi, Beetle, Passat, Touareg... dunno got polo or not... why not go see see lor.

ah lian said:
i heard that vw cars are organising some event for test drive this weekend (20 January 2007) at their pj showroom 3s centre (jalan 219, of the federal carpark... ooops... meant highway). got GTi, Beetle, Passat, Touareg... dunno got polo or not... why not go see see lor.

Thanks for the info sis. Will check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom