uphill drive - no power but max only 20km/h

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

badass_ck

Club Guest
Dear Sifus,

N42 engines. 2004 model. 318i.

I was driving uphill. The rpm went to 3000 - 4000 but it remained going on less than 20km/h. I called up the regular mechanic and he said he didnt know what was the problem.

When I finally finished climbing, the car remained in less than 20km/j for 50 - 100 metres. Then it picked up a little. No error code appeared.

My car has existing problem:

1) car cant start in usual manner. Need to crank with a lot of screeching sound a few times;

2) when i serviced my car, they found water mixed out with engine oil. As prevention, they changed the engine cooler + gasket.

3) no aircond (just changed the pump today for RM 1,900 (daiso))

I am planning to wake up early and drive to the workshop tomorrow. Is the car still in driving condition?

Does anyone know what is the problem?

Thank you in advance.

UPDATE:

apparently there's an error on the 3rd gear which had been cleared by using the diagnosis machine. Hopefully, it wont re-occur.

hi

seem the headgasket is leaking which let water mix with the engine oil. Does your car have an overheat issue before?

confirm gearbox issue. either oil pump stuck or gearbox overheat.

Mel279 said:
hi

seem the headgasket is leaking which let water mix with the engine oil. Does your car have an overheat issue before?
yup, overheated a lot till the mechanic found out there was a leak at the expansion tank.

Urmm the water level is still dropping very fast. I top up water everyday

sewell said:
confirm gearbox issue. either oil pump stuck or gearbox overheat.
diagnosis said 3rd gear failure. Cleared the error but i still can feel the lag. I reckon that it would be a GB problem.

ur engine need overhaul if water can mix with engine oil.
Gasket issues leading to engine failure.

doink said:
ur engine need overhaul if water can mix with engine oil.
Gasket issues leading to engine failure.
noted with thanks. Any good workshop in kl to recommend? Can PM me, if it cannot be disclosed publicly.

Top Bottom