Tyres touching bumper (E46)

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

portse7en

Club Guest
hello sifus,I need some idea or advise how to aviod my rear tyres touching the bumper. I just fitted my 18" 2 weeks ago. The front tyres with 225/40/18 and rear 255/40/18 and still using the standard absober. Suddenly I realise the rear tyres are touching the bumper when i carried another 2 passangers with me. I did ask the mechanic and he said i have to change the rear tyres to 255/35/18.But I also plan to lowered my car. I reckon when I lowered my car, the problem will coming back again.Im so frustrated :(

Your mechanic is right. You should have use 255/35-18" for rear tyre. The other thing to consider is the offset of the rim, what rim you're using? If I'm not mistaken it should be 43mm. The others can confirm this. However my previous set-up with AC Type III 18" and rear tyre of 255/35-18" still touch a bit on the inner side not the fender but on checking the touch is minimal to cause any problem. BTW, my car is on M-Tech sport suspension. Previous car, e46 328i, on Eibach+Bilstein also the same thing.

Thank u zul,
Btw, my rim is ACS Type II Racing. Im not really understand about the offset but from what I can see all the wheels are the same size: 8.5 x 18 ET38 and they also have the following printed on them: 36 11 36 93 (what's dat?)

ET 38 is the Offset.

It means that it is 38mm from the centreline of your rim width. Based on Zul's input, its 5mm less. Which means that the rim sticks out by 5mm more than a similar sized rim with 43mm offset.

Changing to 255/35 might do the trick or alternatively 245/40. Difference in circumference will be negligible.

If you plan to go for a staggered set-up, the offset at the back should be >41.

By slapping a wider tyres on a rim with offset 38 at the back would not solve the trick for a staggered set-up unless you have a wider than normal fender arch at the back.

You should order a rim 18" 9J with an offset of 43 or something like that if you wanna go staggered...

Thank u ichiwan2 & walrus lord,

Actually I bought it 2nd hand. B'coz its cheap and genuine so i decide to buy it without asking someone expert in this field. My fault :(

so now i got 2 options, either i change to 255/35 might do the trick or alternatively 245/40 or

having a wider than normal fender arch at the back.
emmmmmm......... (thinking)

You have another 2 option. If changing the tyre to 255/35-18" it still touching badly you either need to roll the fender or go to reputable rim/tyre shop and see if they can take some amount of the metal at the inner hub side to increase the offset. Don't ask me of the safety on doing that cause I don't know but I know a shop who claimed can do that.

go to reputable rim/tyre shop and see if they can take some amount of the metal at the inner hub side to increase the offset. Don't ask me of the safety on doing that cause I don't know but I know a shop who claimed can do that

heheh.. actually im thinking the same thing as well.... may be i could cut off a small amount of inner hub to increase the offset....I thought it was my wired imagination only....emmmm.....

anyway guys, thank you a lot for ur opinion and help.... I really appreciate it...

Would not recommend the skimming of the mounting surface to get your desired offset.

You will need to have shorter bolts - if you only do it for the affected axle, then you won't be able to use said bolts on the other axle. Also, the strength of the wheel mounting will be suspect (Dangerous!!). Using the original bolt length may result in damage to your handbrake mechanism.

I strongly advise against it.

You are better off rolling the fenders.

if all these are too complex for you, just stay with 225 tyre width configuration all round and you will be fine..

Agreed walrus, simple solution and slightly cheaper tyre but I can tell U that 255/35-18" at the rear tyre looks awesome. I'm thinking of putting back my 18" ACS Type III Racing with the staggered setup.

portseven, agree with lord walrus, if u want no problems, stick to 225/45/17 or 205/55/16. me, still using 225/45/17.

but by right, 255/35/18 at the rear should not touch the body coz oem 325 sports edition comes with front 225/40/18 n rear 255/35/18. maybe coz u use 40 series tire at the back, itu pasal it touches the body.

me now tgh kumpul duit, planning to upgrade to front 225/40/18, rear 255/35/18 n complete ap racing brake system.....

emm.. i think... i change the rear tyre to 255/35 first.... if the sounds still there, i'll roll the fender....

Agreed walrus, simple solution and slightly cheaper tyre but I can tell U that 255/35-18" at the rear tyre looks awesome. I'm thinking of putting back my 18" ACS Type III Racing with the staggered setup.

thats right zul, the car looks awesome with 255 at rear.... :)

Originally posted by eddiefiola@Jun 1 2005, 02:39 AM
me now tgh kumpul duit, planning to upgrade to front 225/40/18, rear 255/35/18 n complete ap racing brake system.....
wah... how much aa? got lubang for cheap2 set?

Originally posted by portse7en@Jun 1 2005, 06:44 AM
emm.. i think... i change the rear tyre to 255/35 first.... if the sounds still there, i'll roll the fender....

thats right zul, the car looks awesome with 255 at rear.... :)
bro, great to see u finally got your rims fitted.. very nice, though they somehow look quite small..

i rolled/skimmed my fenders.. no problem since.. 4 people in the car, corner like mad also still ok.. :D

yes laaa adliz.... i realise too... it looks smaller than the real size... somehow just wondering to find 19" (yeah rite!)

is it different between skimming the fender and grinding the fender?

A 2-piece rims will always look smaller compared to a single-piece rims.

I'm on 225/45/17 and 245/40/17 and the rear skims on undulating roads too and only if I have a passenger(s) at the rear.

So, no rear seat passengers in my car (can take only 1, and its next to me in the front) ............problem solved.

adliz, don't know where to get cheap ap racing set. i'll buy the new one. complete new set last time i checked was about rm20,000. do not like brembo coz it is too common. me, planning for front 4 pot n rear 2 pot.

might want to check also wilwood, alcon and tar ox. but those are very difficult to get in msia....

anybody got any lubangs where to buy these stuffs.....

Top Bottom