Tyre Shine - Waxco

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Eggie86

Club Guest
I would like to recommend one product to the forum. Since Conti drivers expect nothing but perfection from their rides, I believe having a nice set of spanking clean rims & tyres are crucial to complete the look. For me, I'm a real sucker for the 'wet-look' tyres. My fave product so far for giving tyres that brand-new wet look is none other than the one produced by Waxco. It's a medium-sized bottle, not gel-based and can be applied with the help of a sponge. It's contents is a whitish liquid which can be placed on the sponge before being used. It may not be the best nor longest-lasting, considering it's price, but I am a huge fan of Waxco Tyre Shine. I think it retails from around RM 9 onwards at supermarkets or reputable hardware shops [think Ace Hardware]. Perhaps my opinion is borne by the fact that I am kinda skint when it comes to cleaning products, cos for the time being, I'm totally reluctant to spend on a bottle of Meguiars... :D Anyways, that's just my two cents. I find the product to be reasonably priced for the masses... ;)Oh, I just found out from Google that Waxco is the 'leading car care brand in Malaysia'... :cool:
c_tyre_shine-500ml.jpg

It gives a shine for 2days only, then you have to re-apply, ArmorAll gives a longer lasting shine altho its slightly expensive.

automobili2;400936 said:
It gives a shine for 2days only, then you have to re-apply, ArmorAll gives a longer lasting shine altho its slightly expensive.

Yeah, you're right bro. Kinda short term but I suppose you get what you pay for huh? Serves me right for being so stingy. Btw, how much does the ArmorAll cost? I might reconsider treating my car with more 'high-end' products. =D Although I do need to buy it when my gal's not around, or else, bisinggggg... Haha. She just can't stand the sight of me spending more time cleaning my car than with her...

This Waxco shine is not too bad...used it before. And smells good too. Given the weather in Msia, 2 days shine is good enough. After the rain, any shine will eventually lose its shine...

Daredevil;400958 said:
This Waxco shine is not too bad...used it before. And smells good too. Given the weather in Msia, 2 days shine is good enough. After the rain, any shine will eventually lose its shine...

Thanks for your comment bro. Yep, it doesn't smell too strong; unlike those tyre sprays. Haha. True, considering the weather we have, it would be awesome if the shine is still there even after a couple of days use...

I've used Mcguiers NXT tyre shine and wasn't impressed with the longevity of it considering the price point. It did't last for no more than 3 days max but the wet looks is superb. Currently using Tupps Tyre Shine economy pack which retails around rm10-rm11 and it's a water based compound unlike mcguiers. Last for 5- days easily and up to more than a week and the wet look is on par if not slightly below than the NXT. Highly recommended :top:

Tyre shine products, like all surface treatment product, depends on surface preparation. All tyres have a chemical substance called OZONITE mixed into the rubber compound during the manufacturing process. OZONITE is mixed into the rubber to prevent it from drying and cracking. It's the stuff that makes your tyres turn brownish after some time if you don't dress them as they WILL rise to the surface(leaching) as you use your tyres.

Here's a little trick that I picked up from years of detailing experience. Get a scrubbing brush, some cream cleanser( Jif, Cif, etc.. yes, the same stuff that Mom uses to scrub her pots n pans) and scrub down those tyres! This is the safest and surest way to remove OZONITE from your tyres' surface. Make sure they are completely bone dry and aply the dresing of your choice. IMHO, there is no bad products out there, just lack of surface preparation and understanding of the products available.

Also, solvent-based tyre dressings will always outperform water-based formulas. Read those labels closely and you will find the premium brands are all solvent-based.

Hope this helps. Happy detailing!

Psst....btw, waxco is made from primarily silicone.....silicone hardens and degrades rubber.....:eek:

kevster30;400968 said:
Tyre shine products, like all surface treatment product, depends on surface preparation. All tyres have a chemical substance called OZONITE mixed into the rubber compound during the manufacturing process. OZONITE is mixed into the rubber to prevent it from drying and cracking. It's the stuff that makes your tyres turn brownish after some time if you don't dress them as they WILL rise to the surface(leaching) as you use your tyres.

Here's a little trick that I picked up from years of detailing experience. Get a scrubbing brush, some cream cleanser( Jif, Cif, etc.. yes, the same stuff that Mom uses to scrub her pots n pans) and scrub down those tyres! This is the safest and surest way to remove OZONITE from your tyres' surface. Make sure they are completely bone dry and aply the dresing of your choice. IMHO, there is no bad products out there, just lack of surface preparation and understanding of the products available.

Also, solvent-based tyre dressings will always outperform water-based formulas. Read those labels closely and you will find the premium brands are all solvent-based.

Hola Lil' Kev!

Have always loved using Cif for multi purpose cleaning of the Happy Home's floor & loo. Thus far the application has never failed to impress. Thanks for the tip on the surface prep on them donuts. Will give it a shot on one of the weekends to attest it for myself.

Anyhow, it's been awhile since we last met with the our final encounter taking place at Harry Bright @ Tmn Mayang many moons ago.

God bless & thanx :wink:

kevster30;400968 said:

Psst....btw, waxco is made from primarily silicone.....silicone hardens and degrades rubber.....:eek:

Thanks for the info bro. Do you mean I would need to scrub the entire wheel, including the ridges or just the surface [the one tyre shines are usually applied on]? I usually detail the tyres last, and sometimes under the hot sun. I wonder whether this would also cause the tyres to crack and deteriorate, coupled with your observation that silicone degrades the rubber...

I suppose its time for a new set of tyres then... Will try to take heed of your tips and apply it the next time I get down to cleaning my tyres! ;)

Eggie86;400981 said:
Thanks for the info bro. Do you mean I would need to scrub the entire wheel, including the ridges or just the surface [the one tyre shines are usually applied on]? I usually detail the tyres last, and sometimes under the hot sun. I wonder whether this would also cause the tyres to crack and deteriorate, coupled with your observation that silicone degrades the rubber...

I suppose its time for a new set of tyres then... Will try to take heed of your tips and apply it the next time I get down to cleaning my tyres! ;)

Just the sidewalls my young padawan...just the sidewalls....:top:

kevster30;400968 said:

i think you got it wrong, silicone preserves and recondition the rubber from drying out by locking in the moisture, it is solvents, hydrocarbon and detergents that dries the rubber.

The product name Waxco is a local Product made in KL,it contains Silicone,solvent,water etc,it doesnt last.Im using Meguiars Endurance High Gloss,very messy....Armour all,turtle also not bad

tchdaniel;401286 said:
The product name Waxco is a local Product made in KL,it contains Silicone,solvent,water etc,it doesnt last.Im using Meguiars Endurance High Gloss,very messy....Armour all,turtle also not bad

Hey bro, thanks for the info. Might consider upgrading my purchase to the ArmorAll or Turtle next. A bit pricey, but I'm sure it'll be worth it. Meguiar's might be famous, but I suppose it won't last long with the funny weather we have. :top:

If you don't mind using unbranded but effective tyre shine, drive to the Sunday Car Mart in PJ State area every Sunday morning and get a bottle of those silicones.....works mighty well...

jamaliz;401283 said:
i think you got it wrong, silicone preserves and recondition the rubber from drying out by locking in the moisture, it is solvents, hydrocarbon and detergents that dries the rubber.

Please take into account the rest of the chemicals that are present in tyre compounds.

boink;422947 said:
broo...where do u buy the TUPPS tyre shine from?

You can get it in Jaya Jusco or ACE Hardware, bought mine yesterday in ACE Hardware IOI Mall Puchong for RM10.90, comes with a free sponge also :cool:

I'll take a pic of it later, easier to recognise, I also went thru all the products row by row only noticed it. Funny thing is they left the Soft99 Wax over at the Lubricants section instead, and when I told the counter, they said "maybe they ran out of space", what a funny excuse.:stupid:

Manage to find a pic of the product online, here it is
dscn2430.jpg

Just realised, my dad bought Tupps... Haha. Will try it out soon!

Need to heed Kevster's advice first though on the sidewalls. :top:

Yup i've been using Tupps for almost 3 years now ... no complaint what so ever! :4:

Top Bottom