Transmission problem...car jerking during auto downshift and no reverse gear at all!!

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

avictar

Club Guest
just wanting to share with all bmw fellows- issue: 1. car jerk during 3rd to 2nd to 1st downshift 2. cannot reverse car (seems like a racing car) but can drive forward- fault: 1. during the modic test, found out the 3 valve solenoid not functioning- remedy: change the whole valve body gearbox for RM2k (2nd hand) with 1 month warranty....:top:

avictar;650453 said:
just wanting to share with all bmw fellows

- issue: 1. car jerk during 3rd to 2nd to 1st downshift
2. cannot reverse car (seems like a racing car) but can drive forward

- fault: 1. during the modic test, found out the 3 valve solenoid not functioning

- remedy: change the whole valve body gearbox for RM2k (2nd hand) with 1 month warranty....

:top:

:4: thanks for the info sharing bro. :top::top::top:

Avictar,

I had quite a similar problem last week when returning from Tj Tualang during heavy rain. "Trans Fail Safe program" pop up. All forward & reverse gears disabled, left only with 3rd gear doing 100 km to 120 km all the way home. Next morning, scanned with P.A. Soft scanner and found errors at

EGS -> 31/81 - Symptom gear check
35/91 - Gear check 3
21/31 - Turbine rev. sensor
36/91 - Gear check 4
41/C1 - Gear Check 4 (ENP)

Cleared errors with scanner. Auto gear returned to normal. I believe while travelling during the rain, water must have gotten into the connector underneath the gearbox causing the above problem.

Was it raining when your car developed the above problem?

ah no bro...it was consistent for the past 1 year from being mild to worse irrespective of weather.....always downshift....then it got to the reverse gear...no GB light indicator pop...but still did a modic test....

can we try the resetting mode - depressed accelarator for 30 sec to solve this??

EL118;650487 said:
can we try the resetting mode - depressed accelarator for 30 sec to solve this??

EL118,

You can't unless you clear the error codes. After clearing the error codes with scanner, I felt gear jerked a bit when slowing down and moving forwad. I did the reset mode as what you described above. Surprisingly, it resolved the jerking.

herbert;650491 said:
EL118,

You can't unless you clear the error codes. After clearing the error codes with scanner, I felt gear jerked a bit when slowing down and moving forwad. I did the reset mode as what you described above. Surprisingly, it resolved the jerking.

Guys, I thought we clarified that depressing the gas for 30sec is not a reset procedure but just a temporary setting for the gearbox to go aggressive. haywire, please jump in

avictar;650453 said:
just wanting to share with all bmw fellows

- issue: 1. car jerk during 3rd to 2nd to 1st downshift
2. cannot reverse car (seems like a racing car) but can drive forward

- fault: 1. during the modic test, found out the 3 valve solenoid not functioning

- remedy: change the whole valve body gearbox for RM2k (2nd hand) with 1 month warranty....

:top:

i happened to face quite a similar scenario in sept 2010 whereby the Reverse could not engage when i wanted to drive it out of a parking space. the Forward could be engaged but i was left with no opportunity to go ahead due to the curb obstruction. it was later towed to a workshop (behind carrefour jln kapar). subsequently i was told that the gearbox was damaged and the estimated cost of repair would be greater than undergoing a total change-out. reluctantly i got to agree and part with a huge sum of money - RM6,000 for a re-conditioned gearbox together with workmanship.

if only i knew this subtle solution much earlier as mentioned by bro avictar!

Yes agree that in many cases the box was not actually damaged. If the jerking continues after a reset, probably the valve could be the culprit. Replacing the valve is much more cheaper than the whole gearbox.

A used car salesperson told me this. I think the information is credible for obvious reasons. The used car guys would want to save as much costs as possible.

Top Bottom