Transmission "clonk" sound

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

Ade

Club Guest
Hi all,Noticed that the car jerks whenever it is slowing down to stop. The jerk is brief but strong enough to be felt. A sound could be heard coming from the rear, like from the undercarriage. Was told by someone it's got something to do with the EGS re-programming. Brought it for EGS re-programming and the "clonk" sound is not as frequent. Now, whenever the car downshifts when slowing and I depress the accelerator immediately, it emits a "clonk" sound. Why? Any ideas?

Originally posted by Ade@Nov 13 2005, 12:22 AM
Hi all,

Noticed that the car jerks whenever it is slowing down to stop. The jerk is brief but strong enough to be felt. A sound could be heard coming from the rear, like from the undercarriage. Was told by someone it's got something to do with the EGS re-programming. Brought it for EGS re-programming and the "clonk" sound is not as frequent. Now, whenever the car downshifts when slowing and I depress the accelerator immediately, it emits a "clonk" sound.

Why? Any ideas?
thats normal la Ade.

its all part of the Steptronic gear box.

well that what AB told me when i brought my car in for them to check it out!

Daniel,

My apologies for this comment, but when you said ....."thats normal la...." ..... I'm thinkin why should it do that?

The E46 is a premium saloon. I would not accept such an explanation from AB, especially if its new or nearly new.

In my experience (a very old E30 with auto) driveline shunt or jerking could be a symptom of any number of things e.g. worn drive shaft coupling, worn mounts (transmission/engine) etc. The point here is that you kind of expect for the car to do that given its old age, but in an E46?

Any comments from E46 drivers?

Daniel,

I don't concur with what AB has told you. As I sent my car for EGS reprogramming, the clonk sound semms to be very much lesser now. Something with software timing issue. However, I read in the BMW-SG forum that the transmission mounting could be a problem also but I'm not changing anything unless its true..

Anyone?

What a !@###$$$ answer from AB, we r all paying for a premium car here why such crap answer, if they dont know just say dont know why have to blam it on the car....so that they dont have to trouble shoot ???

I believe this doesnt happen when the car is new right so after few years this happen, so definately there r some problem lah. Sometime u have tell them straight we are not fools dont just give stupied answer. No problem why we complaint nothing better to do ah????
:D

Ade, tkew..... my sentiments exactly!

Knowledge on the steptronic box must be pretty established by now as (AFAIK) it has been around for some time already. Comments like that from AB (especially) does not build confidence at all and BMW Malaysia should be concerned if their dealers are issuing that kind of SHITE advice.

Unless it is a well know design defect e.g. I heard the first incarnations of the SMG gearbox were apparently crap, any problem reported by the owner should be investigated with some diligence.

I hope other E46 steptronic drivers can share their experience here and help this member out.

I've heard and read that the clonk sound can be recitified by a software download. I had that complaint and the software download done by AB. The sound went away for about a week or two but today the sound still persists.

have the same problem on my E46 and also a friend's E46 328i.seems like a common problem..

i had my car checked at herritage and was told that the problem is with the rear axle..not worth rectifying as will cost a lot and the problem will resurface within a few months..it is a design fault on the older E46 and have to livewith it..i find it damn annoying..

have changed the axle mounting as well..the sound dissapeared for about 3 days and then back again. :(

regards

Originally posted by Ade@Nov 14 2005, 01:56 PM
mine is a N42...don't think its old right?
sorry, what i meant is that it is more common with the older E46s and also present in the later models

regards

at that time my car was already out of warranty...... besides, i got sick of their trouble shooting. and leaving my car there with them for days as a trash buggy..... no way!

Shocking. I have a clunk on my E30 which after trying everything short of changing the differential/rear axle, I just gave up as it was expected of a 17 yr old car.

But I cant imagine that E46 also has such a problem.This spoils my plans to get a second hand 325i in a few yrs time!

Not only that, if you listem carefuully the E46s even has a "humming" sound coming from the rear when in motion. Sounded like road noise but cannot be rectified by changing tyres and realignment. The E39 series does not suffer from these two problems tho.

My exhaust is louder so i dont hear the hum - haha - but i still get the klunk sound...

Hey Guyz,

am re-visiting this topic. Am experiencing this problem also and it only happened recently when I was servicing the car. Sent to AB to do a Diagnostic, everything was ok and they decided to "re-programme" the car. After this, I start experiencing this mild "thud" when you slow down at say a traffic slights. Seems to happend when it shifts from 3rd to 2nd gear? All this presuming that the current e46-325i starts off from 2nd gear when in idling mode?

Collected car from AB Sg. Besi after EGS re-programming and the sound still persists. Has anyone successfully resolved this yet?

Mine facelifted E46 325i does not suffer from the "boink" thingee.

If you are servicing at AB, you might like to try a different branch. you'll be surprise for the diff answers you get from diff branches.

I believe the "fault" is unacceptable for a premium car. :nyehehe:

I only get this when slowing down fast... after sprited driving. I believe the step box drops to first during this mode (after sprited driving). If you drive normally and gradually slow down to a complete stop it doesnt "clunk"... and it downshifts to gear 2 only during idle. Try it.

Top Bottom