Top speed for 325i?

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

peanut

Club Guest
I have not pushed my 325i beyond 200kph so far as it is still relatively new. However, even at 'only' 200kph, the stability wasn't as great as the 5 series. I know it is almost a given considering the size and wheelbase difference. However, this makes me wondering if it is 'safe' to push the E90 325 to 242km/h top speed?

The car is engineered to reach its top speed, from the tyre ratings, and tests done by BMW I am sure. The 3 will always be more nimble (and twitchy) as compared to the more relaxed drive 5 series. The 5 will be a more comfortable and less stressful high speed cruiser.

For me, I've never taken my E90 to 200km/h. Absolutely hate the tiny sand/stone chips on the car, windscreen, wing mirrors etc which comes about from high speed runs. Plus I am getting old hehe.

IMO, Stability and ride comfort may also have to do with the roads. Malaysian roads are not engineered for driving at that speed as opposed to say a track... anyone care to elaborate ?

Also, how do you run @ 200+ km/h for more than just a few minutes ? I think @ 180, the car is still tight, albeit mine being a 320.

oohh.. so fast yo... 1 thing though, will the top speed reduce as the car age? since the HP will drop yearly albeit slowly.

I have taken my ex-E46 325i to 230 kmh while the highest I took an E90 325i is only 220 kmh. The stability of the E90 at top speeds is far better than the E46, that I'm sure but in Malaysian road conditions, it still unnerving. I don't it's any where as bad on the Autobahn.

The fastest that I have taken mine is at 230kmh. It was just for 2 or 3 minutes and tat's it. Can't really find a nice road that can give you more than 5 minutes of 230kmh.

Wow.... that's faster than a Suzzy Sport 1.6 which can only do only 215kph.. :D

After CNY, PLUS will be a nice 3 lanes all the way from end to end.. can start projecting oredi.. :D

My UDM record was only 180kph in an E36 318i (M) on a set of worn out absorbers... amazingly still comfy and can still chit chat with passengers at that speed. If on JDM, I will be sweating my palms lio.

Have clocked 200kph before but its JDM la.. :D the crappy handling of JDM has stop me from revisiting that speed zone.. :D

David 5 mins @ 230km/h. Not bad. You travelled approx 19 kms at that speed :) must have been a good day with min cars around

230 in a E90 325i shouldn't be a problem, technically. As I was able to go at 215-220 in my humble E30 318i....

Funny thing I have observed is that the car is suddenly much quieter when it went past the 170 kph mark... and feel very much stable even at 210kph...

fabianyee;266599 said:
230 in a E90 325i shouldn't be a problem, technically. As I was able to go at 215-220 in my humble E30 318i....

Funny thing I have observed is that the car is suddenly much quieter when it went past the 170 kph mark... and feel very much stable even at 210kph...

Daring you I just tried to 160kmh but normal drives at h/ways at 130 to 140 all the way say to S Jaya from PD interchange, is it ok for an e30 318i reply me Fabian just to check.

rezzy3181;266604 said:
Daring you I just tried to 160kmh but normal drives at h/ways at 130 to 140 all the way say to S Jaya from PD interchange, is it ok for an e30 318i reply me Fabian just to check.

don't quite understand... :106:

fabianyee;266599 said:

Sure it was 170kph.. Based on your description, it sound like you just broke the sound barrier.. :burnout: :burnout:

24yrs 323i stock standard car of mine just went past 180kph rushing for A1....

i touched a indicated 200kph earlier before.....due to my short box gearing, and surprisingly...this was exactly what the ori manual showed...

fabianyee;266599 said:

are you sure? 318i e36 top speed only about 190-200..how come less powerful e30 318i can go 220 ? and when u said after 170 it suddenly become quiet might be that your cars speedo is broken lol

so 5 series is always more stable than 3 series..
what happens if we compare e90 with, say e34 or e32? bigger series, but older.. but i know e34>e36 at highway cruising..
(as in quietness and stability right?)

I think the most or fastest, a stock standard 325i E46 M-Sport version with original 18" wheels and Michellin Pilot Sport 2 tires can do is 246km/h.

Drove mine all the way to 250km/h mark. Car cannot go anymore. RPM is close to redline. But my GPS only shows 246km/h (see picture attached).

You can achieve this after you have done your alignment, balancing including on-wheel, without any passenger, without luggage, switched off air-cond and wash your car first.

phas3r;266710 said:
are you sure? 318i e36 top speed only about 190-200..how come less powerful e30 318i can go 220 ? and when u said after 170 it suddenly become quiet might be that your cars speedo is broken lol

so 5 series is always more stable than 3 series..
what happens if we compare e90 with, say e34 or e32? bigger series, but older.. but i know e34>e36 at highway cruising..
(as in quietness and stability right?)

I didn't say my 318i still has the stock M40B18 engine... ;)
Even with stock M40B18 engine, it can reach 180 pretty quickly but takes a much longer time to reach 190.....

clint;266730 said:
I think the most or fastest, a stock standard 325i E46 M-Sport version with original 18" wheels and Michellin Pilot Sport 2 tires can do is 246km/h.

Drove mine all the way to 250km/h mark. Car cannot go anymore. RPM is close to redline. But my GPS only shows 246km/h (see picture attached).

You can achieve this after you have done your alignment, balancing including on-wheel, without any passenger, without luggage, switched off air-cond and wash your car first.

Most cars has a 'over-read' speedometer, meaning speedo show speed slightly more than actual speed. Also depend on the tyre sizes used. Generally it's between 5 - 10kph more than the actual speed...

The fastest I have done with my E46 is 190km/h. I think it can go further but probably not feeling too brave these days...age is catching up... slowly losing that "smells like teen spirit" feeling.

A few years back, probably right after watching brave heart :wink: , based on a digital rev speed meter wired to my ex car, I clocked 178km/h on a Daihatsu Mira Original with a L200S engine and a TD04 single fin turbine while carrying 2 other guys in the car. That little car rocks... but ....considering safety .... you guys can guess which car is safer.

planta

Top Bottom