Time for engine oil change

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

1996E36328i

Club Guest
Hi guys,My car is gonna be ready soon so the mechanic asked me what engine oil that I want to use.I've been hearing a lot about this Royal Purple engine oil from my friends lately, I haven't heard about this oil before. Anyone can tell me what's all the hype about :dunno: It is good oil and recommended to use?Thanks guys.

use something easily available cos if you love your engine - change every 5K even with full synthetic grade.

I think of shell, mobil1,castrol when I say the above.

what ur mechanic use & sell?

Apparently, BMW prefers Castrol. Probably marketing interest ...

As discussed in great length before, different people with different rides swear by different brand of engine oil. Some oil seems to suit well for some people not others have only negative comments on them. The thing is, have an open mind and try out different oils and then ascertain yourself which one suits your ride and your driving style best.

Royal Purple is touted to be a high performance sythentic lubricant, a product of a company based in Texas. It has developed the so called "synerlec" lubricant technology that claimed to "strengthen" the oil (about 400 % stronger then most oils) and have some form of molecular bond that provides for continuous protection to the metal parts, even when not moving (I think something like what Castrol Magnatec is also claiming). Anyways, do check out the link below and www.royalpurple.com[url/] and see w...t they say of their products. Happy hunting.

There are a few of the club members cars on Royal Purple, even one on Racing 41 thsat I know of.. perhaps they will share their opinion?

Total Impression
=============

Just changed to Total mineral oil after using Mobil 1 syn for

the past years. It's specifically called the Total Quartz 5000

SL 15W50 (API SL/CF).

The mech who owns an Audi A4 has been using Total pointed out

that it's better than many a mineral oils around, highlighting

the fact that it's a robust oil suited for hot climates and

blended abroad (presumably in France) and only packaged in

Malaysia.

Well, Total is an established brand and first impression is

good. Engine sounds quieter (reminds me of the Helix commercial

- the engine is singing), smoothness the same as Mobil 1. Have

to run it in a couple of weeks to gauge its @goodness@.

It's only RM49 per 4-litre pack and should last a good 5,000km

before an oil change is due.

Those who have been using this Total grade regularly, do share

your experience with this oil. This has been a big switch for

me and - keeping fingers crossed - will convince me to get

Total-ly into it for the lifespan of the car.

Where can I get Total myself for a good price? Stockist PH Auto

Enterprise of SEA Park, PJ, doesn't sell it.

On the auto tranny issue I posted days ago about the P-L shift

being notchy, it appears that it's a minor prob that can be

fixed by getting to the gearshifter innards from inside the

cabin.

To give the cooling system extra TLC, I have mixed BMW coolant

with battery water. Water only RM6 so no big deal....it will

pay off in longer lasting radiator.

amazingly, the Jurid brake pads are still in pretty good shape

after 2 years' use, but then I'm not an aggressive driver,

preferring not to push the car too hard, so that explains their

longetivity.

end of *pseudo-blog* :)

Hi guys,

Just an update. Went to the website read about the oil, did some research on BITOG as well. I'm using Royal Purple now. Got it changed at Sam's as recommended by a friend.

All I can say it i'm pretty impressed with it. Got my engine flushed and filled with the oil. Of all the oils I've used, this oil really impressed me. I just decided to give it a try if I don't like it, don't use it a 2nd time I told myself. Anyway, the bottle looks cool and the oil is purple in colour .

The engine is lighter and it's very revvy. I'm not sure how to explain it but it's really good and I thought it was only 'claims' and just paper words. It does make a difference on the car which can be felt a lot I might say. The acceleration is faster and the torque is even better than before.

And furthermore I thought that maybe it could be my car so I decided to put in on my other car and it did make a difference that could be felt. I'm impressed.

Originally posted by mini_jeff67@Dec 20 2005, 10:46 PM
Don't forget, next year, it's BMW Petronas F1 Team....
BMW recomends the use of Malaysia BOLEH Lubricant :D

Originally posted by 1996E36328i@Jan 15 2006, 08:39 PM
Hi guys,

Just an update. Went to the website read about the oil, did some research on BITOG as well. I'm using Royal Purple now. Got it changed at Sam's as recommended by a friend.

All I can say it i'm pretty impressed with it. Got my engine flushed and filled with the oil. Of all the oils I've used, this oil really impressed me. I just decided to give it a try if I don't like it, don't use it a 2nd time I told myself. Anyway, the bottle looks cool and the oil is purple in colour .

The engine is lighter and it's very revvy. I'm not sure how to explain it but it's really good and I thought it was only 'claims' and just paper words. It does make a difference on the car which can be felt a lot I might say. The acceleration is faster and the torque is even better than before.

And furthermore I thought that maybe it could be my car so I decided to put in on my other car and it did make a difference that could be felt. I'm impressed.
may i know how much did the Royal Purple costs you?

Originally posted by 1996E36328i@Jan 16 2006, 09:39 AM
Hi guys,

Was it the 1st flush after many years? Or you do the flushing thingy in every oil change? I suspect the increase in omph could be due to the engine flush....

Adnoc
I'm planning to try ADNOC pearl (i think it's the semi sync) at my next oil change mid Feb. Do u know how much is for a 4 litre? Know where can I source from trustworthy supplier?

Currently I'm using Castrol Magnatec (ori) for RM63 per 4 litres. So far using it for 2 oil change ....

Top Bottom