Thinking of buying a E46

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

JimmyN

Club Guest
dear All sifu & Tai ko, i'm plan to buy a second hand E46. sorry i not familiar with BMW car. Now driving a Honda stream. Any particular maintenance issue or high repair cost issue or common fault that E46 got? Need to consider it first b4 buying. TQ for all your advice first.

hey JimmyN, welcome to the forum. Do take some time to checkout the threads related to E46's and you will find most of your answers there.

Again, welcome to the forum. Suggest to intro yourself in the newbies thread for the other forumers to welcome you.

Do join us also for the official tt sessions if you're in the Klang Valley region. its on every second friday of the month so do lookout for updates on venue and location.

cheers!

Hi, me too wondering to buy the E46 2.0L second hand for Japan spec m-sport or lifestyle. Wanna ask whether the m-sport means m3 ?

ahban80;553083 said:
Hi, me too wondering to buy the E46 2.0L second hand for Japan spec m-sport or lifestyle. Wanna ask whether the m-sport means m3 ?

what are you driving now?

ahban80;553083 said:

M-Sport does not mean M3 lar. It is a upgraded version of a normal E46. Engine still the same.

M-Sport have the following which are factory fitted:-
1. Stiffer spring and shock
2. Door stills
3. Carbon fiber trimming instead of wooden trims.
4. Blacken door lining.
5. Blacken door pillars.
6. Body kits (M-sport)
7. 3 spoke steering (some with multi-function)
8. Xenon lights
9. Upgraded sport rims.
10. semi-pro bucket seat.

jarance;553190 said:
M-Sport does not mean M3 lar. It is a upgraded version of a normal E46. Engine still the same.

2. Door stills
4. Blacken door lining.
5. Blacken door pillars.
6. Body kits (M-sport)
8. Xenon lights
9. Upgraded sport rims.

plus a damn bumpy ride too! for daily use, wish my E46 was the lifestyle version.

mizhan;553192 said:
plus a damn bumpy ride too! for daily use, wish my E46 was the lifestyle version.

yes and the 18" does not help as well. but take corners very sheiok.. :listen:

jarance;553195 said:

true.. but getting old myself la unker. nowadays me only appreciate the MSport suspension when i go out by myself on sunday mornings or whenever i drive it during rempit sessions. other than that, which is 95% of the time, i appreciate the suppleness of a standard E46, like the black 330i my friend recently sold.

jarance;553190 said:

2. Door stills
4. Blacken door lining.
5. Blacken door pillars.
6. Body kits (M-sport)
8. Xenon lights
9. Upgraded sport rims.

Thanks, jarance. Yup. That's right. I was see the owner to sell it at RM89K. Will it worth ? The spec is same as what you mention.

ahban80;553250 said:
Thanks, jarance. Yup. That's right. I was see the owner to sell it at RM89K. Will it worth ? The spec is same as what you mention.

E46 2.0L second hand for Japan spec m-sport = RM89K. what year manuf and registration?

Price depend on the year and condition. if you are really interested, try to get service record on the car. Better still, ask the owner for an inspection before signing the dotted line.

I have read a lot times, people regret buying BMW because they found they have to replace a lot of wear & tear parts later.

pss..sst put aside some money for repair to get the car back to tip-top condition. :listen:

JimmyN;494324 said:
dear All sifu & Tai ko, i'm plan to buy a second hand E46. sorry i not familiar with BMW car. Now driving a Honda stream. Any particular maintenance issue or high repair cost issue or common fault that E46 got? Need to consider it first b4 buying. TQ for all your advice first.

Its the best choice if buying BMW, cause E46 is the most unit around the world. But when comes to repair cost and faults, u have to carefully choose the correct model. Different models may come in different specs. If u thinking of buying 2.0 cc. I will strongly advise u to buy 1.9cc (old version engine with lower hp) or 2.0cc 6cyclinder (almost same as 325 with only lower hp). As compared to ur honda or toyota 2000cc. U wont get the fun and the feel of it, BMW well known more expensive than japanese but the fact is BMW spend more on research, technology, R&D and etc to make the car worth to buy. A proper market survey and well inspection is needed when u buy 2nd car to reduce ur repairing cost. Year of manufacturer doesnt much make sense for Malaysia car, doesnt mean the car is newer comes with better condition.
Most important is no matter what car u buying, it depends on how u drive, how u maintance and so on. Trust me, if im will to give up BMW, i wont buy E46 again (previously spend RM25k repairing cost on E36 328). Cause it my mistake of never inspec the car im going to buy. Finally im still own E46 simply because it is worth buying a BMW rather than a Japanese.

note : Ask sifus around regarding 2.0 valvetronic problematic engine and 2.0 6 cyclinder.

ahban80;553250 said:

Jarance is our sifu/adviser :D. Msport is good, well if u like the sports version with all the features then its ok to check the condition, price and year. If u like it to be comfortable, its better not msport. I believe when comes to maintenance, msport are slightly more expensive than normal version due to parts are different as explained by our sifu Jarance.

jarance;553251 said:
E46 2.0L second hand for Japan spec m-sport = RM89K. what year manuf and registration?

Price depend on the year and condition. if you are really interested, try to get service record on the car. Better still, ask the owner for an inspection before signing the dotted line.

I have read a lot times, people regret buying BMW because they found they have to replace a lot of wear & tear parts later.

pss..sst put aside some money for repair to get the car back to tip-top condition. :listen:

Thanks Jarance. It is 03/07 where reg. at 2007. I'll arrange if confirm buy from him. Is M speed can check on inspection ? Somemore, how to look on the service record ? What kind of thing need to be study ? I see the due date roadtax is June 2011.

ahban80;553259 said:
Thanks Jarance. It is 03/07 where reg. at 2007. I'll arrange if confirm buy from him. Is M speed can check on inspection ? Somemore, how to look on the service record ? What kind of thing need to be study ? I see the due date roadtax is June 2011.

Take your time, nego a bit.

Service record will show what are the parts have been changed. for a 7 yrs old car, at least the radiator, expansion tank and hoses, thermostat have to be changed at least one time. Also, check whether ATF (GB) have been changed if the mileage clocked >100K KM.
Check out the control arm bushing and GB mountings as well. They are known to wear off due to usage.

M-speed can do the inspection. There are also other workshop as well. do a search on the forum to get more information.

jarance;553195 said:

Bro

How to check whether the spring was M-sport or others ? What is the diff ?

Thnks

Alex5522;553337 said:
Bro

How to check whether the spring was M-sport or others ? What is the diff ?

Thnks

The only way to check is to remove the wheel and physical check the part number of the shock & spring.

The other way is to test drive the car. If the back is very bumpy when going over relatively smooth road, it could be M-Sport setup but other setup could also have the same feeling.

Top Bottom