The RM300,000 question...

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Get the 523i. About similar amount of torque...drove one the other day. Quite impressive...will take than over the e90 anytime :)

1. 0-100kmh: According to the sales literature given to me by an AB salesman, the E60 520i 2.2 does 0-100km/h in 9.9 seconds. The figure of approx. 9 seconds quoted above could be for the manual model which is not available here in Malaysia. I didn't check the 0-100km/h times for the E90 325i but I suspect the time of approx. 7 seconds quoted above is probably also for the manual model which, again, is not available in Malaysia. I would venture a guess of 8 seconds for the E90 325i automatic to do the 0-100km/h dash.

2. Year of manufacture: The salesman told me the Thai-sourced E60 520is were manufactured in 2005. Can anyone confirm this?

3. No cruise control at this price range?: By the way, to those who find cruise control useful and/or important, it is still unclear at this point whether the Thai-sourced E60 520is have cruise control. The sales literature (a meagre 1 page photocopy) given to me by the salesman is silent on this. If the Thai-sourced E60 520is do not have cruise control, that would be odd given that the old CKD E39 520i 2.2 had cruise control.

4. Making a choice: Going back to the original question, I think I'll choose the E60 520i 2.2 instead of the E90 325i, although my decision is likely to be reviewed upon receiving confirmation as to whether the 520i was manufactured in 2005 and whether it has cruise control (I find cruise control useful).

Hah! I knew this poll would arouse conflicting perspectives. It's basically, glamour vs. sportiness; style vs. power. The E60 520i 2.2L is an able cruiser but an anaemic sizzler. The E90 325i should feel a lot more exciting though admittedly, it's a lot less value for the dosh. I'll go for the E90 325i cos after having lived with 192 bhp in my E46 325i, I can't imagine myself settling for less lah....

P.S. the century sprint times are just my rough unsubstantiated guess...

E46, what's yer choice or are we still going ahead with our 40-year old plan?

Yeap Yeap. Thats what u get for the money.

well, personally if you do not need the space and engine power, the 320i wud do jus fine esp with the mentioned new CKD prices.

Juan, i see you're in the same dilemma as i was late last year...surely you remember my thread and poll between e46 330i and e90 325 (e90 325 won slightly - more than 60 forummers voted), and guess what i ended up getting... :yes: i've been happy with my ride since the first day i got it last Oct.

Between the 2 models, I'd go for e90 325 simply because I've tested driven it few times (once for an hour) and what can i say except :eek:k:....maybe i feel it's not as powderful as the e46 330i....but vs the e60 520, unless you're going for space and comfort, pls consider the e90 seriously man. If you are indeed looking for interior quality without minding the lack of power, include the A6 in the list. my 2 cents..

totally E60 for me ..

even the power is less than the E90 ..

dun tell me that u r using a E90 for extreme driving or inside track ...

if Yes .. then u r the MAN ... :D ...

if rili prefer power then go for a sport car ... (Evo, Impreza, C32 , M3,Pagani , Enzo ... :D

hard to decide .. then park 2 car in front of u ... then ur mind & decision wil go for ..... E60 ...

dua cents ...

Originally posted by safri@Jun 10 2006, 02:59 AM
Juan, i see you're in the same dilemma as i was late last year...surely you remember my thread and poll between e46 330i and e90 325 (e90 325 won slightly - more than 60 forummers voted), and guess what i ended up getting... :yes: i've been happy with my ride since the first day i got it last Oct.

Between the 2 models, I'd go for e90 325 simply because I've tested driven it few times (once for an hour) and what can i say except :eek:k:....maybe i feel it's not as powderful as the e46 330i....but vs the e60 520, unless you're going for space and comfort, pls consider the e90 seriously man. If you are indeed looking for interior quality without minding the lack of power, include the A6 in the list. my 2 cents..
Yeah Safri, you read my situation correctly. There's very few things in life which can force a smile on yer face than a nicely powered set of wheels on a nice empty stretch. It's not just the speed, it's also the getting there, the sound, the poise, the g-force, the face of the guy next to ya getting dusted etc etc etc. It didn't matter that much when I had my ex-E36 318i but having felt the force in my E46 325i.... well, it's pretty addictive and hard to live without. :) Glad you're having fun too even in greater measure, about 39 hp more dollops of pleasure in yer 330i.

Skar, welcome back and hope that you have a speedy recovery. Plllleeeaaassseee :yahoo: post the pic of E90 2 door coupe.

Hi Juan,

See what you started!! For me it is a no brainer...E60! The shape is still to die for...I'm still in love with it until today and I've had mine for now 1 yr 3 mths and 2 weeks!

I drove a SG version 2006 E60 523i and found it does not have active steering, no cruise control, and no blue tooth phone. It cost SG$160K with COE. Still a great car but pickup not as quick as my 525i.

Cheers!

Originally posted by johnchen@Jun 14 2006, 05:35 AM
Hi Juan,

See what you started!! For me it is a no brainer...E60! The shape is still to die for...I'm still in love with it until today and I've had mine for now 1 yr 3 mths and 2 weeks!

I drove a SG version 2006 E60 523i and found it does not have active steering, no cruise control, and no blue tooth phone. It cost SG$160K with COE. Still a great car but pickup not as quick as my 525i.

Cheers!
Hi John, I've no doubt the E60 is a beautiful car. There's quite a lot on our roads nowadays but the commonality hasn't diminished it's stately macho profile. I'm also certain it's a lot more value for the dosh with more space, equipment and high speed handling capabilities. For me, the E90 seems more enticing cos it suits my lifestyle... for the moment. One last fling b4 I start babbling about MPVs like what Energy and E46F have been doing lately. :) Glad you're enjoying your E60, I expect nothing less, heh! :D

Originally posted by KennyG@Jun 15 2006, 09:50 AM
So John, when are you getting your new car?? Selling the old one??
After all the tender loving care I've given to my car the past 1+ year including weekly spa treatments, and many thanks to the NAP that has greatly reduced the resale value of my car, looks like I will be enjoying my baby for many more years to come.

Top Bottom