The New X1

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form
Few weeks earlier i saw this car being parked by 1 chap with round neck shirt, jeans and cap in front of LCCT terminal, and guess who's driving? Its Tony Fernandez himself...

I must say its actually a nice car when on the road - unlike the X3 which was and still is a TOTAL FLOP:listen:

Drawback X1 too expensive as entry 4x4 BMW model. Ideally circa RM270k :motz:

supergripen;554928 said:
Does anyone know the colour code for that shade of brown on the X1?

Marrakech Brown........ Proton and Perodua are both using it too - though the gold flecks are much finer hence more iridescent on the X1

No offense to anyone driving or waiting to receive their X1. I'll try to be precise and fair.....Took a test drive. Handling is superb. I accelerated and braked and released the pedal just before a corner and allowed the car to sling in and even before the apex, stepped again on the accelerator to allow the gear to downshift. And she nimbly took off again. The car is beguilingly powerful. You forget momentarily that underneath the hood, lies a 4-cylinder diesel. There's a mild rattle of diesel-engine-syndrome.....which will pass within a short-enough time lapse. A very comfortable ride height that is not too high that you feel like a goldfish in a bowl getting ogled. And high enough to feel less petrified when nearing a pothole or a speed bump(or in Penang, the odd chances of the flooded street). BUT....for 300k?.....The interior is shockingly BAD. It's like a tall e91 that's been badly-assembled. No iDrive(no biggie but for that amount?). The typical BMW plasticky-black dashboard material you see in most Bimmers is fine but the other plastics are AWFUL. There's a section in the middle with 'joints' that don't fit. The interior fitment and choice of the materials used are below Toyota, let alone BMW standards. As much as I hate to admit it, the Audi Q5 IS INDEED a better buy and certainly a lot more bang for your buck. Not sure about future resale value though between the two models but bets are more likely to ace with the X1.

I really like the look of the car but the model that BMW Malaysia has brought in is a slap in the face of Bimmer-drivers and a slight to their intelligence. Or just maybe, it's targeted at people who have never owned or taken a ride in a BMW. Likely story. With that kind of moolah to blow, I'd just get a 325i and watch out for potholes and speedbumps.....or maybe a pre-loved E60? It's a shame that for 50k AUS, you get a whole lot more when you order an X1 2.0d

Good read..

Like u,I actually quite like the X1's looks and the overall concept of a ride height that is a little higher than a sedan/estate but lower than a typical SUV.Handling is superb and my choice of engine would be the Xdrive23d.A remap would yield 240+bhp and a huge wave of torque.
Where the X1 fails here in Malaysia is the pricing and the engine insulation.Another area which I think they skimped on is the interior,where the exclusion of iDrive and the use of cheap plastics is just plain wrong.No matter what the price strategy is,in this day and age where even Korean cars are well built,there is just no excuse for a substandard interior,what more in a premium brand like BMW.

I hope BMW is listening,cuz I've still got the X1 in my sight.Would complement my e90 very nicely indeed.

The big hole in the middle of the dash where the iDrive was brutally yanked out....is where we Malaysians are reminded that we don't pay enough to get the iDrive.

AB sales gal told me that the SKD X1 will be available at the end of 2010 with iDrive and maybe at around RM280k for the 2.0D version - the powerful version.

If you're not rushing to buy one now, then better wait a bit. End of the year is just a coupla months away.

Hopefully it gets the improved 184bhp version of the 20d.

It will be rare tho,which is good for exclusivity.

I tested the X1 this afternoon from Ampang to Hartamas and back. Amazing handling, bro. Hugs the corner like she's in love with it. And Torqy too. Feels like driving a sedan, you can feel the torque pulling you away. Love it. Love it tremendously.

What don't I like?

The diesel clanking noise. The rev only up to 5000 - nothng more. The diesel revving up sound. The non-iDrive.

Other than that, oh boy, this is one sweet ride. One sweet ride indeed.
:top::top::top:

I beg to differ.....on the looks side. Frankly, I wun say its ugly but its like the car is a confused character....."should I be a stationwagon/estate? or should I be a SUV aka my X3 sister?"

To my eyes, its a stationwagon/estate....with a bit more ride height but not much. As such, why do you think the handling should be less than stellar?

Yeah, the price will finally be its downfall and the Q5 is far better choice ( looks and value wise )......provided u can get hold of one!

That's the beauty of the X1.. its got the best traits from both a stationwagon and a SUV,plus I think in the looks department the X1 is a far better looking car than the Q5,which looks rather frumpy to me.But that's just me la.

I'd agree though that the pricing vs what is offered(sub-BMWesque quality interior and no iDrive) will be the X1's Archilles heel.

Let's wait for the X1 SKD at the end of the year. I was told that those babies will have iDrive and with the upgraded 2.0D engine, same like the current 320D. 380Nm baby!!!

Fadhlan;568672 said:
Let's wait for the X1 SKD at the end of the year. I was told that those babies will have iDrive and with the upgraded 2.0D engine, same like the current 320D. 380Nm baby!!!

Hopefully the price will be agreeable.

On paper,this looks like a cracker of a car,more so than the Q5.

Top Bottom