Steering Rack failure.

• Click here to become an Official Member of BMW Club Malaysia Download Form

azam318

Club Guest
Dear all UDM Sifu,Need some advice, I got problem with my steering rack which is not good condition, got freeplay.Whenever I drove at rough surface road, I'm feel my steering also shaking, I'm feel abnormalcondition with that. Then, my mechanic told me, I got to chg my steering rack and he has suggested to me to buy the recond one and its costly around RM1000. So, before I proceed to chg the part, need all the Sifu give some advice if been thru the experience, before. Is it the price given is reasonable? Pls advice. :driver:

you can get a steering rack repair kit..plus work around 500... also did you check lower arm bush?

you replace also you don;t know for sure the replacement is good or not.

Recond one should cost you RM650 at the chop shop if you trade your old one in. However there is no guarantee it will be good. The best is to buy new one. Second best is to refurbish the one you have. At least you know it would be better than before it was refurbished. Mine cost RM900 for the kit, workmanship plus some chrome machining of certain parts. Feels just like new. I also changed the tie rods while I was at it. Steering rack is common problem with e36s.

Bro Guru and Bro Vinode thanks for the great advice. :top:

I will do this step:
1) First, do survey at chop shops
2) 2nd, last option, do the refurbishment.

More advices from other Great Sifus would be better, plsss:willy:

azam318;373212 said:
Bro Guru and Bro Vinode thanks for the great advice. :top:

I will do this step:
1) First, do survey at chop shops
2) 2nd, last option, do the refurbishment.

More advices from other Great Sifus would be better, plsss:willy:

better repair your stering rack rather then u get from chop shop unleased yours already kaput. The question is does the stering rack from chop shop is good? the taukeh always said " ini barang bagus.. gerenti pakai lor... satu minggu waranty"
think of it.
p/s: brand new i survey around 2.5k at bavarian auto

firdaus325;373222 said:
better repair your stering rack rather then u get from chop shop unleased yours already kaput. The question is does the stering rack from chop shop is good? the taukeh always said " ini barang bagus.. gerenti pakai lor... satu minggu waranty"
think of it.
p/s: brand new i survey around 2.5k at bavarian auto

Mr Firdaus, thanks for the advice. :top:

mango86;375283 said:
so how is it now? solve the problem already? mine same problem too...

Emmmm! not yet lar Bro. Will updates once its done. Sum mor, my pocket empty no budjet lar ...:listen:

azam318;375330 said:
Emmmm! not yet lar Bro. Will updates once its done. Sum mor, my pocket empty no budjet lar ...:listen:

Haha... me too, thas why i wana ask b4 repair... wait for ur good news then :wink:

Azam & Mango..first bring it to your mech, let your mech open it..a good mech should be able to tell you the condition, is it worth to repair (repair kit) or change it with recon / secondhand unit from chop shop...recon or 2nd hand sama jer..kalau nasib baik boleh tahan bertahun-tahun...tapi biasanya nasib tak baik laa....(at least in my case!!)

anakin;375472 said:
Azam & Mango..first bring it to your mech, let your mech open it..a good mech should be able to tell you the condition, is it worth to repair (repair kit) or change it with recon / secondhand unit from chop shop...recon or 2nd hand sama jer..kalau nasib baik boleh tahan bertahun-tahun...tapi biasanya nasib tak baik laa....(at least in my case!!)

Hi Anakin, thanks for the advice... :top:

Its better to refurbish the rack wt repair kit & change the tie rod end both side. Not to forget to check the condition of steering shaft. Also not to forget all the front bushes/ball joints/lower arm as what I did. Then yr old E36 will feel like new car. That's why I still regret selling mine.:listen:

initialM;375482 said:
Its better to refurbish the rack wt repair kit & change the tie rod end both side. Not to forget to check the condition of steering shaft. Also not to forget all the front bushes/ball joints/lower arm as what I did. Then yr old E36 will feel like new car. That's why I still regret selling mine.:listen:

Bro, this is called great great advices :top: :top: :top: ... apppreciated it with thanks... LOL.

steering play not only can come from steering rack......as there a few other joints btwn ur steering and the rack. Maybe u could be surprised....

my 2 cents worth bro... get ur mech to check condition and actual problem first...my car freeplay was caused by steering rack....i changed mine for RM 550. 2nd hand unit...got a friend who so far the past few years seems to be able to get good 2nd hand parts for me from JB over nite...:p ... If u want a 2nd opinion, i can intro u to my mech whom ive known for 10 years...and he was also trained in SG and Germany for BMWs... PM me if anything la...happy to help a fellow E36er

Ashnaz;376310 said:
my 2 cents worth bro... get ur mech to check condition and actual problem first...my car freeplay was caused by steering rack....i changed mine for RM 550. 2nd hand unit...got a friend who so far the past few years seems to be able to get good 2nd hand parts for me from JB over nite...:p ... If u want a 2nd opinion, i can intro u to my mech whom ive known for 10 years...and he was also trained in SG and Germany for BMWs... PM me if anything la...happy to help a fellow E36er

Ashnaz, thanks man.... appreciated it...:top:

There is a shop at Sg Penchala who does refurbishment for steering rack. Cant remember the name of the shop but it is big shop, half of the shop is a chop shop and the other half is where they do refurbishment for steering racks and gear box. U can check it out.

meanguy;376342 said:
There is a shop at Sg Penchala who does refurbishment for steering rack. Cant remember the name of the shop but it is big shop, half of the shop is a chop shop and the other half is where they do refurbishment for steering racks and gear box. U can check it out.

Meanguy, thanks for the great help...:top:

Problem resolved...

mango86;375283 said:
so how is it now? solve the problem already? mine same problem too...

Hi Sifus and all the forumers, thanks for the advices given to me. Fyi, my problem resolved oledy. I would like to share with you, what's the actual problem to my car. Fyi, after my mechanic done inspection on my car, the problem is not due to steering rack but it's steering
Tie Rod, lower arm bush and plus some other rubbers bushing are worn out condition. After changes made, now I'm feel like driving a new car...he he he .... :top:

You can view in my thread for the problem encountered:
http://www.bmwclubmalaysia.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23964&page=4

Top Bottom